Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > jewelry...

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 26, 2010 01:31AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Where do you stand on jewelry? What kind do you wear, if any? What kind do you like on any people?

I don't wear any jewelry, not even a wedding ring. I lost one (no, not in a stripper's G-string), then lost another (when I lost weight) and bought another but it's too big and I'm too lazy to get it resized. The ring was only twenty bucks or so.

I'd say about 20% of my students have nose/lip piercings. Those seem to have gone mainstream.

I'm not a big fan of guys who wear lots of jewelry. But that's just me...I don't get it. But hey, it's their party.

And...you?

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments not one for jewelry. i did wear an earring 20+ yrs ago but then every tom/dick/harry starting wearing them so i stopped. i am a watch guy and i wear a wedding ring but no mr. T stylings for me. oh wait, i do wear rubber o-rings on my wrist occasionally. very industrial looking and i like that once in a while

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I wore a chain with a cross on it for 30+ years, never took it off. The chain broke about a year ago, and haven't gotten it fixed yet. I do not wear a wedding ring, even though I have been married for almost 29 years. Just can't stand the feel of it on my finger. I do wear a watch everyday though.

message 4: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments Wedding ring and Prince Albert piercing.

Okay, just kidding. But I do wear the wedding ring.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Ring on my finger, no piercings. I will wear a necklace on rare occasions, usually when I'm playing dress up. I am a big fan of funky leather or metal wristbands, and have an assortment.

message 6: by Misty (new)

Misty | 36 comments I wear a wedding ring and my Clemson ring. My husband used to buy jewelry for me, then he realized it was a waste of money because I rarely wear it (necklaces make me feel like I'm being choked, and earrings make my ears hurt for days!). And I can't stand the feel of a watch!

message 7: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I almost always wear earrings outside of the house, and often necklaces. No bracelets and rarely rings, although I own a few of both. I started making my own beaded jewelry a couple of years ago. There's an enormous sense of satisfaction that comes from wearing something that I made and that's unique.

I was having a conversation with a few college students interning at the capitol the other day about watches. Two of them were wearing Swatches. As someone who grew up in the 80s, I was heartened to see those still exist, although they're not nearly as fun and expressive as they once were. One of the girls didn't know what a Swatch was, and said she's resisted any attempts by her mother to get her to wear a watch. Why should she wear a watch when she can get the accurate time from her cell phone whenever she wants?

message 8: by smetchie (last edited Feb 26, 2010 09:01AM) (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I love jewelry.
I wear the same watch, necklace, wedding band/engagement ring every day. I also wear earrings and rings. I keep the same earrings in except for the bottom holes which are different every day. I have like 5 or 6 rings that I rotate wearing depending on the day. I adore antique and vintage jewelry but I don't have very much of it. I shop for it a lot but rarely buy it. My 10th anniversary is this year, though!!!! Maybe I'll get something special.

message 9: by Mary (last edited Feb 26, 2010 09:45AM) (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I love jewelry in theory but in reality I don't wear much--only my engagement and wedding rings, earrings (one per ear these days)and a tiny stud in my nose. Rarely, I will wear a necklace, and I have a pretty diamond bracelet that my husband gave me which is for special occassions. I do have other piercings but stopped wearing jewelry in them several years ago because I just felt it was no longer age-appropriate for me.

Jewelry on men, besides wedding bands and watches, is forbidden at Casa de Los Gatos.

Speaking of jewelry, I was traveling last weekend and there was a woman on the Charlotte-to-Richmond flight who was wearing about 8 David Yurman bracelets on one wrist and a whole bunch of expensive-looking shiny gold bracelets on the other wrist, and sparkly rings on every finger, including what I would call a cocktail ring which consisted of a ginormous glittery red stone that covered her finger up past the knuckle. She also had on a black satin headband with a giant rhinestone-studded black satin flower on it which may have been Chanel. It was an incredibly vulgar display, especially given the circumstances. Here in my neck of the woods that sort of gaudy plumage screams "nouveau riche" like no one's business--as did her not one but two Louis Vuitton carry-on bags.

Yes, as I have gotten older my conservative Southern roots have started showing. At any moment I expect to turn into my mother.

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments FYI to jewelry wearers: when you wear your best shiny's in a foreign country you turn on the flashing neon ROB ME sign. especially in a poor country. take off the diamond earrings, necklaces, rings and watches and wear a cheap digital to tell time. besides being a magnet for potential thieves you also are demonstrating how much you have and they don't have

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I only wear one kind of jewelry at a time. I'll wear earrings, but not a necklace, or vice versa.

I wear a watch, too, but that's not jewelry, to me.

message 12: by Sally, la reina (last edited Feb 26, 2010 11:53AM) (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I used to wear a lot of jewelery. But now all I can stand is my wedding ring. And of course it isn't my regular one, no, I'm wearing my mother's grandmother's diamond ring which is two sizes larger than my normal ring.

Normally I wear this silver heart on a chain my mom gave me when I was 18, but since I got pregnant I turned that sucker black in a hurry.

I have 10+ holes in my ears where I once wore rings in the 90s, and I miss my tongue ring dearly. I took out my belly ring when I got pregnant. I do still have one in my traegus (whatever - the flap in front of the ear hole by my face) but I forget about it all the time.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments sally - you lil freak

message 14: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I do still have one in my traegus

That one gives me the heebie jeebies. I can't explain it.

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments ooohhhh....right in the traegus!

message 16: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments I usually wear the same jewelry every day. I wear a silver chain with an Egyptian ankh on in, a silver bracelet that my husband just bought me for Christmas, I change up my earrings, and some rings: my wedding ring set,a pearl (one white and one black pearl) ring made of nickel(it was my mother's), a claddaugh ring and a white gold opal ring. I feel naked without it all.

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

It gives me the heebie jeebies to remember that I once had the balls to endure that, Gretchen. It gives me hope for childbirth, as my pain threshold is actually quite high.

message 18: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I think mine is high too. Are you going to do it without drugs?

message 19: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments Why is everyone avoiding mention of their nipple rings and clitoris piercings? We know you're out there!

message 20: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) We were counting on you, Phil.

message 21: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments Well....

I don't have anything like that myself, but my step-brother got both nips pierced way back in the '80s. He even had a chain connecting them.

message 22: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) ::prays, alliteratively, that people don't start posting pictures of their piercings::

message 23: by Sally, la reina (new)

My birth plan right now is to do it sans drugs. I think it will be fine.

I DO NOT want an epidural, and I might tolerate painkillers if offered. But most of all I do not want a c-section.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments lalalalalalalalala, I don't hear anything, I don't SEE anything...

:::runs away from the rapidly-becoming-a-too-graphic-discussion-involving-needles-and-sensitive-body-parts:::

message 25: by Sally, la reina (new)

::re-scoots ficus in front of self::

message 26: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments Rings, earrings, necklaces, the more the better - though they do have to go with the outfit. I get depressed when the weather gets too cold or hot for jewelry. So in the cold I amp up my hair color and in the heat I expose my back tattoos. I like being decorated.

Also, Kevin, in some countries, if you aren't wearing jewelry, they think you are hiding it. Not a large amount, but, when in Rome..... (or West Africa)....

message 27: by smetchie (last edited Feb 26, 2010 04:06PM) (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Sally, you're brave. Good for you!! I'm excited to hear all about it. I don't know anyone who's done natural. Well I do, but they didn't do it on purpose and I'm sure that makes a big difference.

Since you said you might take painkillers if offered I'll tell you this. There is something called Nubain that they gave me before my epidurals that was MIGHTY NICE. I don't know if they give that to you if you're going natural or not but it's worth mentioning because you have to ask for it. It takes the edge off. Then again, you probably shouldn't listen to me because I really really like drugs. Forget I said anything. Ask for popsicles.

message 28: by Sally, la reina (new)

LOL, Gretchen. I ♥ you.

message 29: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments Popsicles? And what do I do with the popsicles?

message 30: by smetchie (last edited Feb 26, 2010 04:56PM) (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Just the normal thing you do with them. Zen are you doing natural too? Is this your first too??

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) How many things can you do with popsicles? Oh wait ... never mind.

message 32: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) ::praying now that no one posts pictures of alternative uses for popsicles::

message 33: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments Haha!

Back to jewelry before anyone posts those popsicle pictures, I wear pretty standard fare. I love to have a watch on, one ring per hand, and earrings. Just one per ear, I think my second set of piercings have closed over by now, it's been a long time since I did two earrings per ear. And those are it - no piercings in nontraditional locations, I was always too much of a wimp. I always wanted a belly chain, but I never got one and I never had any intention of attaching it to anything other than itself.

message 34: by Kevin (last edited Feb 26, 2010 06:21PM) (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments zen, that is why i suggest wearing a cheap watch

(i have been to West Africa several times)

message 35: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I ♥ jewelry! My mother and I stayed up until 5 in the morning when I was down for a visit during Christmas. We were going through all of her old jewelry boxes and having fun finding stuff and trying it on - the most fun part of it all was the stories behind each item I tried on- they ALL had stories!

I wear earrings every day, a watch, a bracelet, sometimes I'll wear rings, and I have a toe ring that stays on my left middle toe. I almost always have a necklace on my neck, too. I'm big on accessorizing, even if the accessories are dainty and itty bitty.

message 36: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments Phil wrote: "Why is everyone avoiding mention of their nipple rings and clitoris piercings? We know you're out there!"

I had a friend who had a clitoris piercing years ago. The day after she did it she was telling me about it at McDonalds. We were sitting on those high stools. She was fidgeting all over the place trying to find a comfortable position to sit in. It was hilarious!

I totally forgot to mention my belly button ring, though. I've had it for 13 or 14 years now. Most of the time I forget it's there.

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Pregnant ladies, watch your step!
I just had to call 911 for a girl who fell down the steps just in front of me. She only fell a couple of steps but she broke her ankle. She's 35 weeks pregnant. The worst part was waiting with her and telling her she wasn't allowed to move when all she could think about was how badly she had to pee.

message 38: by Sally, la reina (new)

!!! oh, awful.

message 39: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24099 comments Mod
RA, how much jewelry did you score from this thread?

message 40: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 136 comments The pregnancy/birthing talk reminded me why I never want to go through that.

I wear my wedding set, a pair of earrings and a necklace. I feel naked if I'm missing any of that. If I'm going out to dinner or we're on vacation, I wear a ring on the middle finger of my right hand.

message 41: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I love jewelry, but I tend to not wear most of what I have. I wear a steampunk scent locket almost all of the time and change my earrings daily. I have rings and bracelets, but only wear them occasionally. I don't own any expensive earrings, because I learned a long time ago that I will always lose one and be a sad (and self-hating) panda.

message 42: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments I wear my grandmother's "liberty head cameo" made for her by one of her son in law's,my uncle Bill, married to my Aunt Violet. He made one for my Aunt Vi and her daughter Pauline has it now. Now all I have to do is figure out who should get it after me. I'll have to ask my female cousins if any of their daughters would like it. I have a small crystal crucifix I wear every day to remind me I am never really alone.

message 43: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments I love jewelry, but I don't own a great deal of "good" jewelry. I usually wear a pair of diamond studs that took me years to get, and a necklace. I forgo the wedding ring/ engagement ring now. I have a few piercings ( that I did for myself... I'm sort of the reserved/ stuffy type, so I love that no one would ever suspect me of having them) and a few rings that matter a great deal to me that I switch out here and there. Plain and simple, that's me. :0

message 44: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments Jaimie wrote: "Phil wrote: "Why is everyone avoiding mention of their nipple rings and clitoris piercings? We know you're out there!"

I had a friend who had a clitoris piercing years ago. The day after she did ..."

It's a cool thing to have, especially if you don't appear to be the "type" who would be comfortable with any type of body piercings or the such. I
suppose it goes along with the old don't judge a book... adage.