UNC Middle School Lit discussion

Ender's Game

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie B. | 13 comments What was your favorite quote from Ender's Game? Briefly list why this quote is important to the novel and why you find it interesting.

message 2: by Madison (new)

Madison Pinkowski | 12 comments "Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be." -Page 231

This quote was important to the novel because it showed how conflicted Ender was about who he really was on the outside, and who they were turning him into/what he was expected to be on the outside. This quote relates to middle schoolers because middle school is all about finding and building your identity, and I think a lot of kids that age struggle with who they are vs. who they want to be.

message 3: by Andi (new)

Andi Gardner | 7 comments "The trouble with coins is, when one face is up, the other face is down." --Ender, p. 236

This was one of my favorite quotes in this novel (I have SEVERAL). It was important to the novel because not only does it relate to Peter (his brother) and Ender...being, as Valentine said, two sides of the same coin...it also shows how "two-faced" a lot of the characters in the novel were. For instance, Graff always "seemed" to be a friend to Ender but he was one of the ones who advocated pushing Ender to his breaking point on several occasions. Anderson was another who would act extremely friendly and kind while being an extremely selfish man who only did things to further his own goals...which was, ultimately, to have Ender lead the army that would end the war against the buggers. I mean, the quote just sums up so much in the book - it's great!

As far as why I found it interesting...well, besides the many thousands of ways it relates to the story...I thought it was neat because it shows the truth about human actions. Everyone has two completely different sides of them. You aren't all happy and kind all the time...sometimes, things do get messy and sometimes, you let anger get the best of you. I think it's important to realize that and this quote really helps put that whole idea into words.

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 15 comments " 'I be crazy too, little buddy, but at least when I be craziest, I be floating all alone in space and the crazy, she float out of me, she soak into the walls, and she don't come out till there be battles and little boys bump into the walls and squish out de crazy.' " -- said by Dink to Ender (page 110 of my version)

This quote is important to the novel because it occurs during a conversation in which Ender realizes he has a friend at Battle School. I also think that Ender keeps this idea in mind when he becomes a commander at Battle School and has to think of new strategies for winning battles.

I thought this quotation was interesting because it seems like a good way to work through some of life's problems. I like the idea of stopping for a minute and envisioning that my surrounding environment is absorbing my problems. It is nice to think that my worries could "float out of me" and "soak into" whatever is around me.

message 5: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Hensler | 11 comments "...the power to cause pain is the only power that matters, the power to kill and destroy, because if you can't kill then you are always subject to those who can, and nothing and no one will ever save you" (p. 212).

The preceding quote is important to the novel because the entire book is a novel of the meaning of power and how this meaning is evaluated. This quote accurately depicts one of the books central messages regarding power that when someone lacks power, he/she is subjecting him/herself to the power of those who he/she is surrounded by. It was an interesting quote to me because it delves into some deeper issues that would be interesting to discuss in a classroom setting.

"Only in the next few years. The longer we wait, the older they get, and the less shocking it is to discover who they are" (p. 229).

This quote is important to the novel because the novel tracks children as they grow and this quote makes a bold statement about growing up in general. I also found this quote to be interesting because I can see how it applies to people of all ages, including myself.

message 6: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (kmhardin) | 14 comments "In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him. I think it’s impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves." p 238

I really like this quote from Ender because it really sums up Ender's perspective and his compassionate nature. He is ruthless enough to get on the enemy's level, to really think like the enemy and understand the enemy. But then Ender recognizes that once he gets close enough, the enemy becomes more human and more real to him and less like an enemy. This quote foreshadows Ender's relationship with the Buggers and is also just a powerful display of how getting to know someone and seeing life through his or her eyes makes you understand and love that person much more than you ever would have from a distance.

message 7: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (bnleake) | 9 comments "The enemy, far from trying to repel him, welcomed him in, so he could be thoroughly entrapped before they destroyed him. Mazer is at least taking into account the fact that by now they would have learned to respect me, thought Ender. And that does buy me time." pg. 293-294

I love this. This was the moment when I really realized that it was probably real. Before this, I had had brief thoughts that maybe...but I always brushed them off. But here I was like, oh no, he's really been fighting them and he's going to blow up their whole civilization and poor Ender won't be able to live with himself afterwards. This quote pretty much sums up the whole of his life for me. He's been lied to and manipulated for years, and he truly believes what they tell him, and now it all comes to a head in this one moment. He knows what the enemy is thinking,and admires them, but he doesn't realize that it's a real enemy. It's just a game. Until he kills them all.

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth Wright | 12 comments "Beat he buggers. Then come home and see who notices Peter Wiggin anymore. Look him in the eye when all the world loves and reveres you. That'll be defeat in his eyes, Ender. That's how you win."
"You don't understand," he said.
"Yes I do."
"No you don't. I don't want to beat Peter."
"Then what do you want?"
"I want him to love me."
--pg. 242

This is just one of my favorite quotes/passages from the book. It really spoke to me because throughout the entire novel both Ender and Valentine are trying to do what they both feel is right all while trying so desperately not to be like Peter. But they both secretly want his respect and affection. They want him to change - to become a decent person. It is heartbreaking that Peter is their brother yet both Ender and Valentine despise and fear him. But I also think Ender would not have been the successful commander he was had it not been for Peter.

message 9: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 15 comments There are several quotes in this book that I really like. It's so hard to pick just one.

"In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him. I think it’s impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves." p 238

"Beat he buggers. Then come home and see who notices Peter Wiggin anymore. Look him in the eye when all the world loves and reveres you. That'll be defeat in his eyes, Ender. That's how you win."
"You don't understand," he said.
"Yes I do."
"No you don't. I don't want to beat Peter."
"Then what do you want?"
"I want him to love me."
--pg. 242
I like this one in conjunction with one later in the book...
"'I know who wrote it,' he said. 'If he can speak for the buggers, surely he can speak for me.'" (Peter speaking, p.323)

"There was no memory of pain or fear, though. What the hive-queen felt was sadness, a sense of resignation. She had not thought these words as she saw the humans coming to kill, but it was in words that Ender understood her: The humans did not forgive us, she thought. We will surely die." p. 320 (possibly my favorite)

I really like this last one because it demonstrates such innocence on behalf of the buggers. She accepts the fact that they made a mistake when they attacked Earth, and she accepts responsibility for her actions. She doesn't hold a grudge against the humans, nor does she blame them. She forgives them, and is only sad that they do not forgive her. It's so innocent, yet so mature. It reaffirms my goals to be like that, forgiving and responsible, and it makes me wish that all people could live like this.

"If we had kissed, it would have been the miracle to make us human in each other's eyes." p. 322 (possibly my other favorite)

I can't really describe why I like this quote so much. Possibly, I like it so much because it demonstrates the power of love symbolized through a simple kiss. It's beautiful poetry from the lips of the "enemy." It reminds me that we are all the same, created by the One God and all loved by Him.

message 10: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alexandrapappas) | 10 comments This is my favorite quote from Ender's Game:

"I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves." p 238

I like this quote because it shows how compassionate Ender truly is. It also provides a great ideal for everyone to consider when they feel that they have an enemy-- it shows that simply misunderstanding someone can inhibit you from loving them. It suggests that everyone not just judge others, but instead take the time to try and get to know them. In Ender's case, it provides foreshadowing for his relationship with the Buggers.

message 11: by Janey (new)

Janey Elmore | 15 comments I had a lot of favorite quotes as well, but here's one:

"In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him. I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."

I love this part for two reasons: it foreshadows what decisions Ender will make nearing the end of the novel and I think it is easy for children and anyone to relate to. Ender, after really understanding Buggers, realizes that it is then that he can love them and help them. The same is true of life. Once we take the time and effort to look deeper into a person we can understand why it is the way that they are. We can have sympathy and compassion. Having compassion allows us to forgive and thus, love.

message 12: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 11 comments My favorite quote is:

"He could not imagine what "just living" might actually be. He had never done it in his life. But he wanted to do it anyways."

I LOVEEE this quote because people, like me, often get wrapped up in parts of life that don't really matter. Although our lives aren't quite like Ender's, I could really connect with this quote (especially the week before spring break and my whole life is due).

message 13: by Diana (new)

Diana | 7 comments "I've got a pretty good idea what children are, and we're not children. Children can lose sometimes, and nobody cares." pg. 108

This quote really stood out to me because it was the first time someone was really speaking to Ender honestly since he had been in Battle School. It shows what lengths the government and armies will go to for the bugger war-something that is just a misunderstanding. The soldiers' childhoods are taken from them because of this.

message 14: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 12 comments "Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be." Valentine, pg. 231

This is deep. In a sense this whole book was pretense. The games. The final challenge. The children writers who were influencing the world. But all these illusions ended up being very real. Valentine was the one to first realize it.
It's realistic too. Once you pretend to be something else or someone else (especially for a long time) you end up absorbing this identity and molding it into who you are. Just like Valentine, Ender, the Battle Room students, etc.

message 15: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 13 comments "That's the problem with winning right from the start, thought Ender. You lose friends." pg. 184

I found this quote interesting because I feel like it has relevance to everyday life. I also thought it was a very clever thing for a young boy to notice. Usually children do not gain this knowledge until much later in life if at all. Children usually want people to adore them and "accept" them first thing, therefore trying to make amazing impacts and first impressions. The knowledge that Ender possesses at just a small age amazes me and stuns me throughout this novel. I think this is why I was able to fall as in love with his character as I did!