Second Wind Publishing discussion

featured discussions > Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucybalch) | 18 comments Most of us—at one time or another—have felt obsessive about someone we’ve seen on the big screen. For me, I’ll watch anything if Johnny Depp is in it, even the slasher movie, "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street." I forced myself to brave the blood in order to see Johnny sing.

It’s odd that actors are so admired. It’s all based on charisma and acting skill, of course, but we never know who they really are, since they’re only reciting someone else's lines.

Writers, on the other hand, expose their souls when they write. You feel like you really know them. And in that knowing, obsessions might spring.

Who has an obsession about a writer that they’d like to share? If you could invite any writer to dinner, living or dead, who would you invite? Why?

message 2: by Sherrie (last edited Feb 26, 2010 10:33AM) (new)

Sherrie Hansen (sherrieh) | 51 comments I wouldn't call them obsessions, but I have enjoyed meeting many of my favorite authors at the various RWA conferences I've attended. I have to admit it was a thrill to meet, and in some cases, talk, to each of them - Nora Roberts, James Patterson, Julie Garwood, Jennifer Crusie, Jill Marie Landis, Debbie Macomber and LaVyrle Spencer to name a few. Then there was that time at the Mall of America where I stood in line for about 4 hours, waiting to see Janet Evanovich, who was signing her latest Stephanie Plum novel. When I was a student at Wheaton College, I had dinner at Ken Taylor's home, with his family and a few other students. (He paraphrased the Living Bible.) I have always considered that a great honor, even though I was too young to fully appreciate it at the time. Oh, the questions I would ask of him if I had the opportunity again today!

message 3: by A.F. (last edited Feb 26, 2010 11:25AM) (new)

A.F. (scribe77) Who to invite for dinner? Perhaps an quiet affair with Neil Gaiman, Ray Bradbury, Guy Gavriel Kay, Jennifer Roberson, Harlan Ellison, Anne McCaffrey, Ursula K. Le Guin and Edgar Allen Poe.
Can you imagine the discussion that group of fantasy writers could have?

message 4: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Why would I want to invite dead people to dinner? They'd smell up the place.

message 5: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucybalch) | 18 comments LOL Patrick! Let's pretend that you own a time travel machine?

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate (kpaone92) | 6 comments I have met many wonderful authors, but I'd love to have a dinner conversation with Anne Lamott, Jeanette Winterson and Virginia Woolf. I like all of their writings and each provides a very unique perspective and style that I love equally as much. I'd like to think if we were all to sit down around the same table with some scrumptious vegetarian food, desserts, and red wine, we'd have lively conversational debates about religion, sex, gender, politics, and the writing life.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Sherrie wrote: "I wouldn't call them obsessions, but I have enjoyed meeting many of my favorite authors at the various RWA conferences I've attended. I have to admit it was a thrill to meet, and in some cases, tal..."

Sherrie--may I touch you! I'd be thrilled to meet LaVyrle Spencer! When did you meet her? How old was she? What did she look like? She's my favorite of all romance authors, hands down. I discoverd her books when they were already old--I'm a late bloomer reading romance--and yes, became obsessive. Over a short period of time, I found and read all her books, and she is the only author whose books I have collected. I was heartbroken when I read in the last one she was retiring. That would have meant she'd already retired years before I even discovered her. I think she has no match writing heart-wrenching love stories.Celia

message 8: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucybalch) | 18 comments I am ordering a LaVyrle Spencer book today! You really sold me on trying her.
I'm still trying to come up with the perfect dinner guest. I started this post, but if I have to choose ... it's just too hard.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Lucy wrote: "I am ordering a LaVyrle Spencer book today! You really sold me on trying her.
I'm still trying to come up with the perfect dinner guest. I started this post, but if I have to choose ... it's just t..."

LUCY--which one did you get? I know every one of them.Two or three did not completely match her best ones, but they're all good. Celia

message 10: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucybalch) | 18 comments Celia wrote: "Lucy wrote: "I am ordering a LaVyrle Spencer book today! You really sold me on trying her.
I'm still trying to come up with the perfect dinner guest. I started this post, but if I have to choose ...."

Celia, which one do you recommend? Which one is her best, or--maybe more appropriately--what is the best one to start with?

message 11: by Glenda (new)

Glenda Bixler (goodreadscomgabixler) | 8 comments I would love to have dinner with Pat Bertram...she seems like an author with whom I could be friends...

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

LUCY--I would start with Morning Glory, or And Then Came Heaven, Separate Beds, or The Fullfilment.I can't wait to hear your review.All her books have recently been re-released with new covers. I have all the old ones with the old covers. Happy reading! Celia

message 13: by Betty (last edited Feb 26, 2010 06:35PM) (new)

Betty (nightreader) | 29 comments There are so many, but I think I'd invite Dana Stabenow, I've read so many of her books, and I love the fact that she writes about life in parts of Alaska that most of us can't even get to, and that her heroine is Aleut. Not the least of which, she wouldn't mind in the least that I'd probably serve her moose for dinner, it'd have to be that, venison, or fish because that is all that is in my freezer! Also, we still have snow on the ground, not to mention, I have some pictures of wolves on my walls, so even Kate's Mutt would feel right at home.

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 44 comments separate beds was a great novel--
I also liked Hometown girl
and Bygones.

message 15: by Karen (last edited Feb 26, 2010 06:51PM) (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 44 comments i would have dinner with Janet evanovich--we write a lot alike and i feel I can learn alot from her.

message 16: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucybalch) | 18 comments I've been thinking hard about this all day. If I had to pick ONE writer to have dinner with, who would it be?? If I'm indulging the time travel machine fantasy, Jane Austen springs to mind since I love her books so much. I imagine that she would be very perceptive and witty.
Sticking to reality, I think I'd like to dine with ... with ... I still can't pick just one. A.F. - I like your idea of having a group. I think I'd like to have a group of quantum physicists to dinner. I love hearing all that stuff, like about how what we see and feel isn't really solid.

Celia: I went on Amazon and peeked into Morning Glory. I hooked me right away. She's good! I look forward to reading it.
Betty: I'll have to check out Dana Stabenow. She sounds good too.

message 17: by Tami (new)

Tami Winbush (twinbush) | 1 comments OK - I would have to invite more than one author....

Anya Bast - woo hoo! I'm her biggest fan! (I think she knows it too!) Super talented and can make worlds jump off of the pages and into your hands!

Richelle Mead - love her! Vampire Academy books are to die for - and I started reading Thorn Queen before I realized it was the second in the series....so finish that and then read the other and re-read Thorn Queen! Dang it!

message 18: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawn9655) Definitely Terry Pratchett. And Neil Gaiman... I'd love to discuss "Good Omens" with the two of them together, as well as their separate work. The only other author/writer I would like to meet and have dinner with would have been Sylvia Plath. She just totally fascinates me.

message 19: by Icats (new)

Icats | 1 comments Edward Gorey, Neil Gaiman, and TIm Burton. Not sure what I would serve for the main course but definitely rice pudding for dessert.

message 20: by Barbara (last edited Feb 27, 2010 10:53PM) (new)

Barbara (baflanagan) | 3 comments If being deceased doesn't preclude them from accepting my invitation - Jane Austen, Ernest Hemingway, Charles Dickens, Lord Byron, Sylvia Plath, William Wordsworth, John Keats, Kurt Vonnegut, J. R. Tolkien. Among the living - Margaret Atwood, Ursula Le Guin, J. K. Rowling, Jack Kornfield, Thich Nhat Hahn, Michael Chabon... Oh, who am I kidding? I'd love to have *ANY* author to my home for dinner.

message 21: by Paul (new)

Paul Of the current ones,I'd like to invite Thomas Harris. Earlier - H. P. Lovecraft and Edgar Allen Poe. Earliest - Homer and that guy who seemed to do an awful lot of mediaeval stuff in Europe - Anon.

message 22: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucybalch) | 18 comments For current writers, since I'm reading "The Golden Season" right now and loving it, I'd like to invite Connie Brockway to dinner. I love her sense of humor and I know she'd make a fun dinner guest.

message 23: by BookAddict (new)

BookAddict (bookaddictgirrl) My answer to this would probably change depending on the day but of the more modern writers I'd like to have dinner with Chris Bohjalian, Jodi Picoult, Richard Russo, Margaret Lawrence, David Yeadon, Sally Gunning, CJ Sansom, Robert Frost, Christopher Tilghman, Clyde Edgerton, Louise Erdich, JRR Tolkein, Ursula K. LeGuin and Ariana Franklin to name just a few... It would be a very crowded table.

On the classic side it would be neat to have dinner with Charles Dickens, Oliver Hardy, Herman Melville,Mary Shelly, Willa Cather, Edna Ferber, George Elliot, and the Bronte sisters.

It would also be kind of cool to have lunch with Agatha Christie, Baroness Emmuska Orczy and Mary Robert Rhinehart....

If I had to pick just one, I couldn't do it :-)

message 24: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (arkady62) Neil Gaiman...he can even bring Amanda Palmer. I think they would be great dinner guests.

message 25: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (rhondak) I would love to have dinner with Michel Houellebecq, Marcel Proust, Lawrence Durrell, Flannery O'Connor, Duns Scotus and Euripides, although I would worry about the seating arrangements and food prep. I would probably include William Faulkner if I could afford that much bourbon.

message 26: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Hoffman Mark Twain!

message 27: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (arkady62) Anne McCaffrey - she could come to dinner too. There are so many authors I would love to have come to dinner...Val McDermid for another, Ian Rankin, and so many more. Is it possible to have dinner with a different author every night? Because I foresee years of cooking and good conversations lol...

message 28: by Nikki (new)

Nikki I would probably invite Jodi Picoult to dinner. I have all her books except one and I love how she picks controversial topics and how she explores them. Not too sure if Jodi Picoult would like to have dinner with a 110 pound crazy hyper bullmastiff but it would be fun!!

message 29: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 30 comments That's a tough one. I am an autograph hound to a minor degree so I have met many of the authors I like. Most of the others have passed away and would be hard to dine with right now. (I will stick with the living otherwise the list would never end!)

One person I would be most honored to meet would be Stephen Hawking. Inarguably the most intelligent man alive and he has a great sense of humour as well.
Charlie Huston, Joe Lansdale, F Paul Wilson, Brian Keene, Mercedes Lackey, Jim Butcher, Mario Acevedo, oh there are simply too many. Many of these listed here have a common thread no matter the genre in that they use humour in their stories and they use it well. Whether it be a terrible story of zombies, the end of the world, racism in East Texas or magic, they are very successful in injecting humour in just the right amounts when and where it's needed in their stories.
I think that would make for a very interesting and light-hearted dinner!