Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Beyond Heaving Bosoms Reads > 0310–Paranormal: Vampire Viscount, Karen Harbaugh

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melody (new)

Melody (melos) Can you judge a book by it's title? Possibly. In this case, The Vampire Viscount is about the marriage arrangements of a Regency Viscount who happens to be a vampire.

Our BHB authors claim Karen Harbaugh as the first to write "a traditional Regency to feature a vampire viscount" (BHB, 113). How does this traditional treatment differ from titles with stronger paranormal elements, does it still work?

Written in 1995, this is an early example of "paranormal" romance. How has PNR changed in 15 years and, if this is a legitimate precursor, what elements do we still find present today?

And how does this work compare to Bram Stoker's classic vampire tale, Dracula (this month's Bonus read)?

message 2: by FlibBityFLooB (new)

FlibBityFLooB Vampire Viscount (Signet Regency Romance) by Karen Harbaugh

Average rating on goodreads: 3.62

Description on goodreads:
"Sold into marriage to pay her father's gambling debt, Leonore Farley resigned herself to wed the mysterious Lord Nicholas St. Vire. Still, he was rich and charming, though a little pale. She had no way of knowing his terrifying secret. Only her love could end his nightmare, only his trust could save her soul"

message 3: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments I'm out for this one. I can't seem to get this book in Canada and if I order from the States, there's a good chance I won't get it in time :(
I just got the first 2 books in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series though so at least I'll still have a vampire or 2 of my own to drool over - from what I've heard I may need a bib! :)

message 4: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Feb 27, 2010 05:11PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Tried looking for this in my library system, but unfortunately, they don't have it.

However, found one in PBS, and just requested it.

message 5: by FlibBityFLooB (new)

FlibBityFLooB I had to order it from PBS, too, Yz :) Hopefully it will be worth the credit to read, though I admit I am skeptical! 8)

message 6: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I'm keeping an open mind, Flib. :)

message 7: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 4413 comments Color me skeptical as well, but I did find a copy for 1/2 price.
And I had some perfectly good Linda Lael Miller early-PNR books on hand well, some OK L.L. Miller vampire stories!

message 8: by Melody (new)

Melody (melos) Wow, I didn't think it'd be so difficult to find this title. It's actually available through my library system... Hope it turns out to be worth it for y'all.

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 4260 comments Sorry my library doesn't have anything by her either.

message 10: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 4413 comments Just finished Vampire Viscount, and I think it held my interest because she chose how she would interpret/carry out the "rules" of vampirism. Vampires burn up in sunlight *check* Vampires need blood *check* Vampires can't eat food *Umm, really?*

This was different enough to make it worthwhile - thanks, Flib & Melody!

message 11: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Currently reading this one, and so far, it's holding my attention.

message 12: by FlibBityFLooB (new)

FlibBityFLooB I got it from PBS this week. I'll have to start it soon...

message 13: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Finished it today. To be honest, I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this little book. I thought the characters were charming in their feelings and angst. It definitely was not a waste of PBS credits : ), and it was enough for me to add her other books to my TBR shelf.

message 14: by FlibBityFLooB (new)

FlibBityFLooB Well, I tried to read vampire viscount last night, but I found myself having a tough time not skimming. *sniff*

Oh well! I can't love 'em all ;)