Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Totally Off Topic > What cheers you up?

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K. (new)

K.  (maddywoo) | 24 comments Everyone has different things that cheer them of course and I curious to learn what they are for you =)

I'm finding myself upset a lot lately so I'm basketing in everything that boosts my mood. For me it's a good book (right now that is Passion Unleashed by Larissa Ione), looking at pictures of pretty houses or pretty men, working on a story I started, and a Tahitian Treat.

I think my list is pretty weird. But what about you guys?

message 2: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (Savhage Temptrest) (savhagetemptress) | 330 comments For me a good book with erotic and funny moments involved! I love to laugh out loud one minute and then hold my breath with anticipation the next. Always cures my blues!

Movies are another thing that cheers me up. For however long the movie is, I just get immersed in the story and don't think about my unhappiness. It's always been a goto for me when I'm down!

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) | 134 comments Dinner out with my girlfriends or a couples dinner. Always guaranteed to be lots of laughs.

While most of the books I read are not "cheer up" kind of books, there's something very comforting about curling up with a blanket and good book. :)

message 4: by Cathy (new)

Cathy  (cathygreytfriend) | 53 comments My dogs can always make me laugh, even on days when I swear nothing could. When they make me laugh I call it, "Paying the rent." Kids are the best, when I can borrow a few :) When I'm playing with babies or children the rest of the world disappears for me, I'm totally focused on them. Silly TV can work, I like soaps, Glee, Modern Family, etc. But sometimes I get restless when watching TV or a movie, so books are even better for me.

The best distraction is silly, LOL books. MaryJanice Davidson has never failed to make me chuckle (until the last Betsy book at least). Molly Harper is a new favorite, smart and funny. I loved Nicole Peeler's 1st, it was funny without sacrificing a great story. I can't wait for the 2nd. Any of the authors with snarky humor can lift my mood a lot. Dakota Cassidy, someone suggested Katie Macalister recently, Jennifer Crusie and Janet Evanovich aren't PRN but are really funny, the always spot-on and sadly missed Douglas Adams... Really, any book that I can escape into makes a big difference, it's like taking a little vacation from the world. But especially the funny ones when I'm really down, once I've laughed, even reluctantly, nothing seems quite as bad.

Another thing that's really helped me are audiobooks. For some reason when I'm in the car alone I start brooding, even with music on. Audiobooks have turned driving back into a pleasure. Any well-read story will do, but I especially enjoy comedy albums or books written by comedians and then read by them. I recently listened to Kathy Griffin's book and it was so much more powerful, and funny, hearing her read it than it would have been on the page. I remember thinking the same thing with Whoopie Goldberg, Drew Carey, Eddie Izzard, etc.

Sorry for the long answer, it's just a topic I've spent a lot of time thinking about. Looking forward to seeing everyone's answers, maybe I'll get a few new ideas, too!

message 5: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Kamp (ladyeskimo) | 1 comments A good book and a cup of tea make my bad days better.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather | 4 comments I am in medical school and every day can seem daunting and an emotional rollercoaster ride. I find that cracking open a good book, preferably from a series, sets my mood right. Also listening to some calm music.

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 320 comments When I have a bad day the best thing for me is a long walk, for some reason that always makes me feel better.
A good piece of dark chocolate, my favorite candle and like Cassandra said a cup of tea (with rum) and a good book.

If I am depressed I do not do well with other people.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Naps! Naps cheer and soothe the soul.

Fresh air and exercise with a friend to yarn to, or something decent to listen to on the iPod.

An hour or two alone in a quiet corner of the library, reading trashy magazines.

Or a really escapist movie to hide in for an hour or two.

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 280 comments Moss wrote: "Naps! Naps cheer and soothe the soul.

Fresh air and exercise with a friend to yarn to, or something decent to listen to on the iPod.

An hour or two alone in a quiet corner of the library, rea..."

Very true

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (cooldrenth) | 51 comments I do lets of things to get me in a good mood. If the weather is good out I like to walk my dog. That helps. If I am real down I like to read soemthing that is going to make me laugh or has a good romance story. If it has a good ending then that will cheer me up. I also will watch a movie. Any Jane Austen movie or book will make me feel better. I love to watch old Golden Girls shows. They are so funny and that real helps me.

message 11: by Alaa (last edited Feb 26, 2010 11:05PM) (new)

Alaa Going out with friends, shopping, reading, writing, doing something crazy guaranteed to get me in trouble,buying and eating snacks, wearing makeup, going to the cinema to watch some crappy movie and having a cup of coffee or tea. I also love to do alot of running or some other exercise.

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather | 243 comments Major chocolate and massive amounts of alcohol!!

message 13: by Mhollie (new)

Mhollie | 178 comments Beefcake in kilts

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather | 243 comments Mollie, wow, a woman who thinks like me. Yeah, chocolate melting all over a beefcake in kilts (maybe a vampire to boot)with alcohol. Yeah, yeah, I'm set now..

message 15: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 449 comments A good book and watching a really bad movie with my boyfriend (the movies have to be bad enough to laugh over)

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather | 243 comments Sandy, do you have a list of bad movies that you just have to laugh over??

message 17: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Bair-Epps | 725 comments GoodReads.com :oP

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan (meganannaz) | 21 comments I make a mix of songs that motivated me and I drive with the windows down and sing at the top of my lungs. I go someplace I have always wanted to go even if I can't afford it to either stand outside or order the cheapest thing on the menu or buy the cheapest thing in the store. Or I clean till I feel organized (even though I never actually am organized).

I also re-read the first 2 chapters of my favorite book, "A Wrinkle in Time". Its like visiting a reliable friend since I know it ends happily ever after. And I feel better when Meg sits with Charles Wallace at the kitchen table. I watch a Disney movie lying in bed with snacks or going to a movie by myself when I am supposed to be doing something terribly responsible & adult.

message 19: by Mhollie (new)

Mhollie | 178 comments Heather wrote: "Mollie, wow, a woman who thinks like me. Yeah, chocolate melting all over a beefcake in kilts (maybe a vampire to boot)with alcohol. Yeah, yeah, I'm set now.."

Amen!

message 20: by SM (new)

SM Ruth (smruth) | 4 comments Three things unvariably work for me:
candlelight yoga
hanging out with my crazy boston, Josie
reading a laugh-out-loud witty book

message 21: by Danielle The Book Huntress (last edited Mar 09, 2010 05:05PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 461 comments Being outdoors and experiencing nature
Reading romance and urban fantasy
Hugging and kissing my cats
Watching funny movies
Listening to music and singing along out loud
Exercise
Chocolate of any kind
Dessert, especially ice cream
Reorganizing my book collection
Talking things out with God

message 22: by Angela (last edited Mar 12, 2010 12:25PM) (new)

Angela (angbens) | 343 comments Working out
Reading
Watching TV
Shooting my bow

Those seem to help me....

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 80 comments Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things...

Sorry, my Maria moment had me carried away.

What makes me happy? I've been asking myself that question for more than 40 years and I still don't have a good answer.

I had a list of things here that make me happy but I deleted it. Somehow it just felt too personal.

message 24: by Ellice (new)

Ellice Oh (satanlovesme) eating CEREAL i love CEREAL CEREAL IS MY LIFE! LOVE IT sooooo much AHHH HA

message 25: by Davina (new)

Davina D. | 103 comments I don't tend to get the blues too often, but when I do...

Books, books, and more books. Any kind of book, but mainly romance and or historical fiction/crime/suspense. Lately a lot of paranormal too.

Watching movies

Writing stories

My dog (before he died)

I'm tempted to say cigarettes help me to put things in perspective, but I'm suppose to have quit so ... uh ... really, cross that off the list...

If my husband isn't the cause of my distress, having a glass of wine and talking about things with him.

Lovemaking! :)

Swimming

Knitting (I always feel so proud when I actually manage to create something that I'm instantly snapped out of my bad mood)

Generally just being around people so drinks with the girls.

Talking to one or both of my children about any and everything. I'm always in awe of the fact that I helped to create 2 very intelligent, well-grounded and thoughtful young men. They're very funny too so getting me to laugh comes easy to them.

message 26: by Ellice (new)

Ellice Oh (satanlovesme) HA lovemaking... *sigh* not that i would know but still HA!

message 27: by Ronda (new)

Ronda  Tutt (rondatutt) Let me count that ways - hmmmm

Well besides sex, food, and money - I'd have to say that sometimes :

1. A good book with explicit sex in it
2. Spending time with my husband
3. Chatting with my friends online
4. My dogs and cats
5. My trees and flowers in bloom
6. Funny jokes

message 28: by Merri (last edited Mar 17, 2010 11:09AM) (new)

Merri (angelicxx3) | 5 comments Lol a good book with romance and a GOOD heroine is the best and if it's a truly GREAT book then you'll be laughing at some point while reading it- which cheers you up. Ohhh also eating buttered crumpets- yum :D

Also writing poetry and just letting all the anger or sadness spill out of you onto a computer screen or piece of paper, my cure ;)

message 29: by Laura Beth (new)

Laura Beth (tampabookworm) Books Books Books... Must have a good book in hand or I get depressed.

message 30: by Selena (new)

Selena Nonyebuizness (DarkHalo) | 4 comments reading alllot of books fall asleep with them(the books i mean) :)

message 31: by Hiddenheart (new)

Hiddenheart I think that curling up with a good book, putting some good music on, and having about 40 Reeses PB Cups laying right next to me is the perfect cheering up technique.
However, I also like to draw and write, or even just take a walk in the woods.

message 32: by Ronda (new)

Ronda  Tutt (rondatutt) Another way to cheer yourself up is to go fishing with your husband - have a pole in the water but a book in your hands and read while you catch some rays and your husband catches the fish - LOL

Hiddenheart - I love Reeses PB Cups

message 33: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 117 comments Not one to get too down and out. But when whenever I feel down I like:

Read a good book

Talk with my man or real close friends

SEX!

Yoga (bikram or regular)

Meditation

Music (sometimes I have to dance and sing real loud with it)

Writing

Chocolate/food (You can always tell when the food is good, I kinda sing and smile like a kid who's happy they are eating their favorite food)

Shopping (I LOVE IT! SHOES,SHOES,SHOES! Though I have not bought a pair this year and that's a very good thing since I've never been 3 going on 4 months without buying a pair) I'm going through shoe buying rehab. lol!

Lastly, crying to my MOMMY (I'm such a mommy's baby still and I'm a grown A** woman. LOL!)

message 34: by Tika (last edited Mar 26, 2010 07:07PM) (new)

Tika Newman (TikaNewman) | 11 comments When I get an e-mail from paypal, telling me that another book sold. Yippeeeee.

Oh yeah, and a nice broiled lobster tail will always bring a smile to my face :)

message 35: by Hiddenheart (new)

Hiddenheart Ronda wrote: Hiddenheart - I love Reeses PB Cups

Thanks Ronda! Glad I'm not the only one. They've been my favorite since I could eat chocolate!!

message 36: by Ronda (new)

Ronda  Tutt (rondatutt) Tika wrote: "When I get an e-mail from paypal, telling me that another book sold. Yippeeeee.:)"

Tika do you sell hardcover books? If so let me know your site and I will check you out. I buy about 10 to 15 books a month all at once. I only buy hardcover for my private Library.

message 37: by Tika (new)

Tika Newman (TikaNewman) | 11 comments Awwwwww, sorry, no Ronda. My books are available only in soft cover. But, if you order from my site, they are all autographed. Does that help? Check them out at www.thistlewoodpublishing.com

Tika Newman :)

message 38: by Ronda (new)

Ronda  Tutt (rondatutt) Tika wrote: " Check them out at www.thistlewoodpublishing.com..."

Thanks Tika, I will check it out.

message 39: by Noems (new)

Noems (especiallyshameless) | 4 comments There's four things that cheer me up: chocolate, horse riding, listening to music and of course reading :)

message 40: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 173 comments Hm...

-My amazing husband. (It's weird, but just being with him calms me)
-My animals (3 cats, and 1 obnoxious 8-year old dog)
-My job (vet tech; I truly found my passion and it doesn't even feel like work anymore)
-A GIANT mug of Vanilla Chamomile tea with French Vanilla creamer
-Playing Solitaire
-Watching my FAVORITE shows (Bones, The Simpsons, Family Guy, L&O: SVU, Community, Cougar Town, etc.)
-Puzzles!
-Wine Night with my best friend
-And last but, most definitely, not least: Reading PNR and talking about it with my favorite people in my PNR group on goodreads.com :D

I hope everyone's feeling happy today!

message 41: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 1593 comments For a quick fix on a crappy day, I have this lil video on the computer at work.

Clicky! (YouTube)

Usually succeeds in making me chuckle. Add in a BIG chocolate chip cookie and I'm a happier camper.

message 42: by Davina (new)

Davina D. | 103 comments Samantha wrote: "Not one to get too down and out. But when whenever I feel down I like:

Read a good book

Talk with my man or real close friends

SEX!

Yoga (bikram or regular)

Meditation

Music (so..."

Haha ... Sam, good post!

Seems we have a few things in common in this department as well.

I do the Yoga (Hatha and Asthanga) and Meditation thing too. Love that. And I'm such a shoe nut, it ain't funny lol. It's a wonder I have any money left over after I'm done splurging on books and shoes! Last but not least, I'm a mama's girl as well, esp now that my daddy's gone. Hahaha. And I'm 44, even more growna$$ than you! :)

message 43: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 117 comments Don't call me out on age, Davina! LOL! Yeah Yoga is a great way to release some of the stress. I don't even know why I buy the amount of shoes I have. And I still claim to not have shoes whenever I have an important event to attend. Yup, any reason to buy another pair :)

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) My dog Bilbo is very good at cheering me up. So is an excellent cup of tea with just the right amount of steeping and milk. :)

message 45: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 386 comments My pets and good music.

Bethyboo ღ The Book Addict ღ (atheniax) | 26 comments Watching ellen degeneres videos on youtube always cheers me up no matter how down i am :)