Terminalcoffee discussion

Books / Writing > Vampire Lit > RA ♥s kilts > dinosaur zombies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17319 comments Mod
I was recently enmeshed in the world of vampire lit, shamelessly begging friends for their finished paperbacks 'cause I just couldn't wait for the library's tedious wait list to find out what happened in one Louisiana town full of vampires, werewolves, and psychics.

But, somewhere around the 7th or 8th book, my adoration petered out, and I'm rather annoyed. Are there more Sookie Stackhouse books out there? Do I care?

Do you? What do you think of this series? Stupid time suck or fun indulgence?

message 2: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I couldn't get through the first one.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'm with you, Sally. I liked the first ones a lot, but I think they're getting too stretched out, now. I like a tight story arc, and this one has gone past my limit.
Also, Sookie has gotten to be a bit too magically special for me to like her anymore.

message 4: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) There are 9 books altogether. I think a 10th book is due out in May. I've been reading the series in rapid succession because a friend pressed them all into my hands, but I have to get them back to her before I leave Olympia. I've read six of them. I'd definitely recommend spacing them out, or they start to get old.

I've always thought Sookie was a bit too much of a Mary Sue for my tastes, but I liked the other characters around her enough to continue. But then in Books 5 and 6, Sam disappears, Eric all but disappears, and instead we get too much Alcide and Quinn and I find both of them uninteresting as potential romantic partners for Sookie. Just get back to Eric already.

I probably wouldn't keep reading them if my friend weren't anxiously waiting to discuss them with me. It's something that maintains our connection while we've moved to different places and she's married and having kids while I'm staying single and childless.

message 5: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) All of the spunky vampire/werewolf/witch heroines tend to blend together. It kind of ends up making me feel like this:

"You know what? You've got spunk.'

'Well, yes…'

'I hate spunk."

And yet, I read them.

message 6: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 25, 2010 04:23PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Oh, man, I'm holding off from writing the review, to keep my first rather...spirited...reaction in perspective, but that first one was one of the shittiest books I've ever read. Well, half-read. I didn't finish.

I said the book was written poorly and the sentences were structured badly, but (I'm paraphrasing here, so tell me if I'm misrepresenting your perspective, librarian) Jackie said I was reading too slowly and caring too much about that instead of focusing on the plot.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yes, these aren't books designed to be read slowly and savored, RA. These are books meant to be read quickly for plot, ideally while lying on a beach somewhere. :)

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I don't read many shitty books. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood. I thought Outlander and Twlight were goddamn Nobel winners compared to that piece of crap.

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

Ew! That's just not fair. It was way better than Outlander.
And seriously, just read fast. They aren't literature.

message 10: by Misha (last edited Feb 25, 2010 04:36PM) (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I could set the sentence structure aside, RA, because it was written in the first-person point of view of an uneducated waitress in rural Louisiana who says things like "how de do" when she meets people. (As an aside, I'd like to spork Charlaine Harris every time I see "how de do" on the page) So it struck me as the right voice for the character. I wouldn't expect this character's thoughts to come in exquisitely styled prose.

But worse writing than Twilight? Really? And I say that as someone who liked Twilight. :)

I also liked Outlander, but read it in the early 90s. I suspect my tastes have changed since then.

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Misha, I thought about the same thing, but writing like an uneducated waitress should take some skill...it was like the author was just being lazy and using that as an excuse.

I liked both Twilight and Outlander.

message 12: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heh. Sally's getting her revenge with the thread title! No fair!

message 13: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I suspect that Sookie's voice is actually Harris's. Sookie definitely seems like a glamorized stand-in for the author, a form of wish fulfillment. I think she writes as well as her skill allows, but I didn't find it any worse than any other example from the genre, which tends toward "conversational" first-person narratives.

message 14: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) RandomAnthony wrote: "Heh. Sally's getting her revenge with the thread title! No fair!"

Ha!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I think I can guess why RA prefers Outlander, but I'm SO not going into details...

message 16: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments The Scottish history? You don't want to bore anyone?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments :::blinks innocently at RA:::

message 18: by Sally, la reina (new)

Hahahhaaha, why, jackie?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Oh, fine!

His kilt fetish, duh! ;)

message 20: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Mmm, kilts...

message 21: by Knarik (new)

Knarik I read half of the first book of that series, and I hated it!

message 22: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments The funny thing about this poster is that this vampire is definitely wearing lipstick. Makeup. And he's had his eyebrows shaped. They probably would have added the sparkle if they knew how....

message 23: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I've read the books and I had no problem with the narrative voice of the characters. Then again, I know people who live where Charlaine Harris lives and also where I suspect Bon Temps would be if it weren't fictional... and I can verify that they really DO talk like that. In fact, I think it's easier to stick with Harris' stories than Meyers'.

RA, you're just another one of them damn Yankees who'd probably make fun of me if you ever heard me talk. ;) I'm sure I'd make fun of you, too.

message 24: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Misha wrote: "Mmm, kilts..."

Awwwwww... sookie, sookie! :D

Hubba. Hubba.

message 25: by Sally, la reina (new)

HEIDI!!! ♥♥♥

message 26: by Heidi (last edited Feb 26, 2010 06:25PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments SALLY!!!

:D

XOXOXO

♥♥♥

message 27: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Zen wrote: "The funny thing about this poster is that this vampire is definitely wearing lipstick. Makeup. And he's had his eyebrows shaped. They probably would have added the sparkle if they knew how...."

Heh. That made me laugh.

message 28: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) A friend of mine, who's into the vampire lit and has just finished her first draft of a vampire novel she hopes to publish, and I had this very same conversation about Sookie Whateverhernameis and the vampire lit genre. She readily acknowledges that the writing isn't very good - especially Stephanie Meyer's writing - but we concurred that genre writing doesn't tend to lend itself towards spectacular flights of prose fancy. It's all about story and pace. Those of us expecting to read what we've come to expect from, say, Jose Saramago, should stick to reading Jose Saramago.

message 29: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Heidi wrote, RA, you're just another one of them damn Yankees who'd probably make fun of me if you ever heard me talk. ;) I'm sure I'd make fun of you, too.

Don't listen to Heidi, RA. She's got a lovely voice with a soft, purr-like drawl. In fact, she almost doesn't sound like a Southern woman.

message 30: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments YES I DO!!! You take that shit back, Gus!

message 31: by Sally, la reina (new)

Now I want to Skype Heidi.

message 32: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments No you don't, Sally. Gus is fibbing.

message 33: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Wait a minute, Gus... you're talking about Tracey, right? I've been reading her book. I've actually enjoyed the story. Back when she'd share it for critique/feedback, I'd give her regular feedback and suggestions/edits to share. Then some asshole told her something totally rude... and she got gunshy about sharing it, so I tried to encourage her but she wasn't having it. I hope she's making progress on the story.

message 34: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Heidi, yes, it's Tracey I'm talking about. She did finish her draft, but she's not keen on sharing the manuscript among friends just yet. She's very excited about having finished it, so much so she's already working on a follow-up.

BTW, I'm working on a screenplay - ZOMBIES VS. DINOSAURS!!!...coming soon to a DVD player near you.

And, yes, Heidi, you don't have that thick of a Southern drawl. I've spoken to you several times. In fact, I still have your voicemail from when you called me all excited about the NYC mix CD I sent you. Don't make me remix it with a drum & bass loop and upload it for all to hear...

message 35: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) Dinosaurs would totally decimate zombies. That movie will be about 7 minutes long.

message 36: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Not in my screenplay. Most dinosaurs weren't predatory, whereas zombies are purely predatory. Add in a million-strong army of flesh-eating zombies and...well, you'll just have to wait.

message 37: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) But if an herbivore dinosaur is bitten by a zombie, does it become a zombie? So would there then be zombie brontosauruses eating the brains of velociraptors?

message 38: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments that's what i thought too, zombie dinosaurs.

message 39: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) There's a whole new extinction theory...

message 40: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) Are they gonna be slow, stupid zombies a la Night of the Living Dead or super-fast vicious zombies circa Dawn of the Dead? Because that makes a difference.

message 41: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments herbivore dinosaur zombies slow and carnivore dinosaur zombies fast?

message 42: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I think it would make sense for a brontosaurus zombie to be slow and a velociraptor zombie to be fast since that's how they're built to begin with.

Yay! More dinosaur zombie conversation, please!

message 43: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I was thinking that since dinosaurs were proven to have small brains, they wouldn't be infected with the solanum virus that creates a zombie, but since the idea of a brontosaurus (which never existed, by the way - that particular dinosaur was misnamed and miscategorized) zombie squaring off with a velociraptor zombie sounds very intriguing. I may incorporate that somehow...thanks!

message 44: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I know the name was changed, but it was brontosaurus all through my childhood fling with paleontology, and so it remains in my heart.

message 45: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments

message 46: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) That's becoming my new user pic.

message 47: by Mary (last edited Mar 02, 2010 01:07PM) (new)

Mary (madamefifi)

This is my favorite zombie picture ever.

message 48: by Cosmic Sher (last edited Mar 02, 2010 01:19PM) (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments "Also, Sookie has gotten to be a bit too magically special for me to like her anymore."
Jackie, that made me laugh and reminded me of "Magically Delicious!" hehehe

I love the Sookie Stackhouse books, not for their literary content or deep symbolic themes, but because they are original in many ways while sticking to the classic vampire, werewolf, fairytale viewpoint. I thought the books moved along well and were, plain and simple, fun reading. I've read the whole series twice now... FOR FUN. (Silly me, I like fun) :P

I lived in Monroe, LA which is pretty much the area that Bon Temps is attributed to, and let me tell you that Charlaine Harris is probably one of the more intelligent people there. (Yea, that was pretty slanderous but, sadly, true) I guess that's why I enjoy the whole flavor of the books that have a quirky Southern style imbued in them.

If I want to read more serious, deep-thought vampire novels I'll read Anne Rice.

Hey Gus, have you watched Zombieland yet? It was HIGH-larious! And may just give you some good ideas to put into your Zombie Dinosaur screenplay. Bloody, gory, gushy, and really silly. Plus it has Bill Murray as a zombie, who can resist that? ;)

message 49: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Gus wrote: "I still have your voicemail from when you called me all excited about the NYC mix CD I sent you. Don't make me remix it with a drum & bass loop and upload it for all to hear..."

I forgot about that message. HA! I doubledog dare you to do it.

message 50: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'm particularly proud of this thread title.

That is all.

« previous 1