Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Series Discussions > Harper Connelly - Charlaine Harris

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JenBee, Founder, Lead Mod, Eternally Books (last edited Feb 25, 2010 02:17PM) (new)

message 2: by Cmkage (new)

Cmkage | 46 comments I think I liked this series even better than the Sookie Stackhouse books. The main flaw of Harris' Sookie series is that it seems to go on without a plan. There doesn't seem to be an overall map, a place where the author wants to go...

The Harper Connelly books on the other hand, had a clear goal from the start. It is a well-structured and thought out series. The mystery that is hinted at in the first book gets resolved in the last. In the meantime there are a few other, very interesting cases and lots of character development.

Love it!

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill | 111 comments I loved this series, it was a great paranormal mystery and i have to admit, just the right amount of creepy for me. Of course there was also the gradual and authentic relationship between Tolliver and Harper. They seemed real to me and they made the series very enjoyable.

message 4: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Heaney | 57 comments I liked this series - a really interesting concept. In fact, I might go and find my books and have a reread. :)
The problem is that Harris became popular when the world was only interested in vampires!!!!! and more vampires!!!!!!!!.

Cmkage wrote: "I think I liked this series even better than the Sookie Stackhouse books. The main flaw of Harris' Sookie series is that it seems to go on without a plan. There doesn't seem to be an overall map, a..."

I agree with that. However, I only read about the first six Sookie books, and then read reviews of the later ones. I'm sure I'll get back to them at some time now the series is finally wrapped up!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I need to re-read the first again and read this series. I read her Lily series last year, good. Sookie is a great series except the last books too, Harris is a good writer overall.

message 6: by Nicola (new)

Nicola White I really like the Sookie books, but I enjoyed the Harper Connelly books way more. Same with Charlaine Harris's mysteries - the Lilly Bard series is brilliant. They're a really unique, awesome cross between thriller and cozy mystery. I haven't read anything else like them.

message 7: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (ucdlindsey) I'm actually planning on reading Grave Sight this month based on a recommendation, and the fact that I enjoyed Shakespeare's Landlord (and will be reading the rest of the Lily Bard series in the future). I actually read the Sookie Stackhouse series first, having discovered it after True Blood starting airing on TV, but I still haven't managed to finish it, I just didn't like the direction it was going after a while. Hopefully Grave Sight will be a fun cozy mystery with a little paranormal thrown in, others seem to enjoy it. :)