Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
This topic is about Dead Witch Walking
Series Discussions > The Hollows - Kim Harrison

Comments Showing 1-50 of 121 (121 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (last edited Feb 25, 2010 02:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bookworms | 43 comments I was not convinced about the first book, which I finished last week. The story was ok but not very gorgeous. So I wait for the second book and give the author a chance, too. Hope it will be better because I like Rachel very well.
Maybe it was not enough erotic scene :-)

message 3: by Bj (new)

Bj Hunter (bjhunter) I didn't like the first book much either, and gave the series a second chance and read the second book, and it was much better. The Hallows series is one of the best series out there imo, the books just keep getting better and better, so hang in there!

Mrs. Badass (mrsbadass) | 28 comments I've read the series to current (BMS) and sometimes I like Rachel and sometimes I hate Rachel, and sometimes I love Kim Harrison and sometimes I want to write her a complaining Email ... lol I like the direction that she is currently heading, and I hope that Rachel maintains growing. For a while she seemed to be stagnant and annoying.

I find myself in love with Jenks (not in that way, but as a sidekick) I am fascinated by Trent. I even like the bad dude Al :P

Angela Cardillo (anginwonderland) Erika wrote: "I've read the series to current (BMS) and sometimes I like Rachel and sometimes I hate Rachel, and sometimes I love Kim Harrison and sometimes I want to write her a complaining Email ... lol I lik..."

I completely agree!

Yazmin Cancel (ykc61377) I cannot wait for a new book to come out for this series. I recently read Black Magic Sanction and these books just keep getting better and better. I love Al & Jenks, they are my favorite character. Love the chemistry between Rachel and Trent, I already know those two are going to end up together. I loved the scene where she invoked Trent's pandora charm and remembered the memory from the camp. I also loved the end, when she joined Trent for the wild hunt. Never did like Jonathan, he's such a weasel.

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments I have to say, that this is one of my favorite series'. I love Ivy's character, and I really liked Kisten too. Jenks always made me laugh, and I loved the way they all worked.

Wasn't Black Magic Sanction the last in the series? I thought I saw somewhere that it was.

Heather Book Savvy Babe (booksavvybabe) I was actually just checking out Kim Harrison's website- I was looking to see if/when the next book is due out….I couldn't find that, but I did see on the facts page that she has a contract for 12-13 books in this series, so that is pretty exciting…I would just like to know more about the next book planned

On a different note, what did everyone think about Pierce? Is it lasting?? I gotta say, I'm kinda hoping that Rachel and Trent will pull it together and get together somehow….

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments Hmm...That would be awesome if there were 4 or 5 more books!

I like Pierce. I think he's sweet and I like how he treats Rachel.
Trent's alright, but I just can't see him and Rachel in a romantic relationship. A friendship I can see, but nothing more than that.

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments Has anyone started reading Pale Demon yet?

Don't tell me what happens, because I just got it and haven't started yet...but do you love it???

message 11: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) I am so curious about this series. I heard book 1 was kinda slow but the rest is good. Maybe I should read it soon. XD

message 12: by Lacy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lacy (lacy_stewart) I'm reading Pale Demon right now and I really like it so far. Great series!

Arlene (Arlene_Botelho) | 5 comments I'm on Pale Demon  by Kim Harrison now as well.....got about a 100 pages to go, loving it so far!

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments Mariya wrote: "I am so curious about this series. I heard book 1 was kinda slow but the rest is good. Maybe I should read it soon. XD"

I think you should read it for sure...I love it.
My dad actually bought me The Outlaw Demon Wails because he said it looked like a book I'd like...and when I started reading it I was so confused...seeing as it's the 6th book of the series...
So I went back and bought the first 5 books and I LOVE it.
Kim Harrison's style is easy to follow, and you can't help but love her characters.

Alyssa Ricks | 8 comments I finished Pale Demon last night - I really liked it and can't wait for the next one! I can't quite grasp that I have to wait a whole year before I get to find out what happens.

Heather Book Savvy Babe (booksavvybabe) Alyssa wrote: "I finished Pale Demon last night - I really liked it and can't wait for the next one! I can't quite grasp that I have to wait a whole year before I get to find out what happens."

I’m right there with you, this book was so good that it set up the next one to have so much promise to it, Pale Demon is my new favorite book of the series!

Alyssa Ricks | 8 comments I really hope the end was showing Rachel realizing what she wants and that she goes after it in the next one - I've been pulling for them from the beginning! I think I agree that this is my favorite of the series so far!

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments Alyssa wrote: "I really hope the end was showing Rachel realizing what she wants and that she goes after it in the next one - I've been pulling for them from the beginning! I think I agree that this is my favorit..."

Oh gosh...now I want to read it even more!!
DARN YOU BUSY SCHEDULE!

message 19: by Suz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suz I adore this series. I always anxiously wait for the next. Kim Harrison's writing is spot on. She engages me, invests me in the characters, takes me on an emotional roller-coaster ride, and always sets me down gently but slightly spent at the end, looking forward to the next ride.

I think this is one of, if not the, best Urban Fantasy series currently on the market. No, it doesn't have the kind of heat you'd expect from a Paranormal Romance, but it's not romance it's urban fantasy. Tension carries farther than heat in this series.

message 20: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (jlmonty4) | 6 comments This series I really liked form the begining.I Love Ivy and her relationship with Rachel.I actually really like the Rach/Ivy/Jenks team.I do think the books keep getting better and better.It was sad for me when Kisten died.I liked him..I did think something would happen between trent and Rachel.He makes me mad though always getting her into trouble.I am done with Pale Demon and loved it.I can't wait for the next book.If Rachel is true to her feelings maybe she'll get the right guy...(I wasn't a fan of Pierce)this is a great series..Love it!!!!

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments jen wrote: "This series I really liked form the begining.I Love Ivy and her relationship with Rachel.I actually really like the Rach/Ivy/Jenks team.I do think the books keep getting better and better.It was sa..."

Spoiler to those of you who haven't read For a Few Demons More or beyond...
(view spoiler)

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (animallover07) I love This series I cant wait tell i get Pale Demon.

message 23: by Lacy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lacy (lacy_stewart) Pale Demon was a great read.

WooWooSpooky❥ (rainbowluv_myria) | 2 comments I absolutely ADORE this series. It is by far my favorite right now! I just got done reading For a Few Demons More, I don't want to write this as a spoiler so I'll word it like this.... When "someone" dies in it do we ever find out who the killer is? I don't want to know who. I just want to know if we ever find out and in what book. It's killing me that we don't know who it was and I've heard we don't find out in The Outlaw Demon Wails either. I have faith in Kim Harrison that she knows what she's doing with her series. I've never questioned it bc we always get our answers. But THIS has me really nervous!!

Fangs for the Fantasy | 13 comments This series is one of my absolute faves. I think that Pale demon especially is masterful. I remember when I got down to the last few pages slowing down because I didn't want it to end. The wait for a new book seems so long. I love this series and for those of you who are doubting yet it gets so much better.

message 26: by Rubi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rubi (shall813) | 28 comments I enjoy this series from the first book to the last book, It is especially good thru audiobook because the narrator is genius for these particular characters... My only disappointment in the entire series comes in "For a Few Demons More"...besides that, LOVE IT!!!!

message 27: by Kelleigh (last edited Aug 10, 2011 09:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kelleigh (goodreadscomsunshine2047) | 0 comments Bookworms wrote: "I was not convinced about the first book, which I finished last week. The story was ok but not very gorgeous. So I wait for the second book and give the author a chance, too. Hope it will be better..."

Bookworms - Give this series a shot - I could hardly get through book 1 but it does get so much better! Lots of world/character building... you'll fall in love. However, I warn you this is not an erotic series... not much loving going on - but still worth the read!

Bonnie Swift | 2 comments I absolutely LOVE this series! I've never been one to say it because it sounds corny to me, but these stories do keep getting better and the character development is phenomenal!!! If you're looking for a great ubran fantasy series to really get into - THIS IS IT!!! Lots of action, drama and just enough humor to keep it fun.

I find myself annoyed with Rachel as well, but it's part of what keeps the development great. The interactions of the characters and the way their relationships grow absolutlely pull at my heartstrings. I have fallen in love with each and every character, their flaws and their problems. I absolutely ADORE Jenks! But I have to agree with a PP - I love Al too, and I can't wait to see how his character develops more with his relationship with Rachel.

Beatrix (trixy72) | 17 comments The first part is actually a bit weaker, so our country can not be translated into the rest. And a very good series, Rachel a kick-ass heroine, but it was always the love of her life in ruins. It is hard to find the right guy.

message 30: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca Johnson (gypsybecky) | 44 comments I just ordered the first three books, so I do hope I love them!

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Hope you do to. Some people find the first book a little hard to get in. It jumps right in so it might take a moment to adjust.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments I've had that happen before, NOT FUN!

In fact, I've taken it to the extreme. I now find myself reading the first book, loving it, and then buying the books as they come out. Probelm is I never read them, because I want the next one out and then the next.

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 155 comments I guess I'm in the minority. I don't like this series. Well, truth is I did for the first couple of books. Then came For a Few Demons More. I stopped reading in the middle. I made the mistake of looking at spoilers. I won't read a second further. I can't believe the author did it again. But this time, who she did it to was permanent. I know because I read the spoilers for the rest of the books hoping, and no, nothing changed. On top of that the author created a pattern. Every few books, another bites the dust (not literally). I just have to wonder what the author has against men. But then reading the books it’s obvious her preference. I don’t have a problem with that. What I have a problem with is the peer pressure Rachel receives even though her friends know she doesn’t swing that way. Would your friends push you into something your not interested in? It’s weird.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) I don't love the series and I don't hate it. I do enjoy it though. I've read all but Pale Demon. I have the book. I just have so many books in my TBR pile that I just haven't gotten to it yet. I will finish it before the end of the year though. I swear! lol

I do not like Ivy. I haven't liked her from the beginning and I really don't like her now. Rachel has stated time and again she doesn't swing that way yet she is constantly pressured to give in to Ivy. I think that really blows.

Alyssa Ricks | 8 comments I don't think it's giving too much away to say there is closure on the Ivy front in Pale Demon - maybe that will help swing your ambivalence toward the series into liking it :)

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) Oh, then I hope Ivy dies. I should fit Pale Demon in after books 2 & 3 of Lords of the Underworld just to see if my hopes are realized.

I think Kim Harrison created Ivy hoping she'd be a complicated interesting character, but, for me, she's one-dimensional and contributes no value to Rachel's continuing story.

Alyssa Ricks | 8 comments Well, that'd be giving a fair amount away wouldn't it? But I do think their relationship will be changing.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) LOL Yeah, don't give it away. With luck, I'll be reading it in about a week or two.

Cassie Cruel (faith_isola) | 468 comments Love love love this series :D

I have books 1 - 4 and need to re-read 4, I read some of them a while ago from the library and am now working on owning them :)

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I really like this series. The first book had me leaning on the fence, but after book two I was hooked. Just finished the latest book, "A Perfect Blood," and was pleased with the direction it was heading.

Oh, and I'm sure this has come up before, but the series is "The Hollows" not "The Hallows." (That comment probably won't make me any friend! ;)

message 41: by Zafia (last edited Feb 24, 2012 03:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zafia | 123 comments Duane wrote: "Oh, and I'm sure this has come up before, but the series is "The Hollows" not "The Hallows." (That comment probably won't make me any friend! ;) "

I just ignore it and move on. We cant all be masterminds in the spelling/memory area.

--

This is one of my fav series. I totally love (view spoiler)

Nicole (innocent_sweetiepie) | 507 comments Can't wait to get the new book in the mail....put it on pre-order and it shipped on the day it came out so hopefully it'll be here tomorrow.....omg I soooooo can't wait to read A Perfect Blood

Missyb | 99 comments I've read the first chapter & laughed through most of it. The troubke she attracts.

message 44: by Kathy (last edited Feb 24, 2012 05:36PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathy Hoover (katwoman1267) I started this series and was unable to enjoy the first book. I picked it up several times and put it back down as many times..it was a hard book to read. But everyone said the books get better and better. They were right. Kim Harrison is developing very nicely as an author and I am so glad that I kept at it. My favorite character(so far) is Minias.

Juliette (juliette614) | 31 comments I am a HUGE Kim Harrison fan. I think the Rachel Morgan books just get better. They are not erotic for the most part, but I love both erotic and non erotic books. A lot of you said you didn't like the first book, I did, but Rachel grows so much since that first book, as do the other characters. Each book is beter than the last...also if you are into audiobooks, the narrater, Marguerite Gavin is amazing (she also narrates the Kitty Norville series which is also amazing).
Happy Reading!!

Juliette (juliette614) | 31 comments Nicole wrote: "Can't wait to get the new book in the mail....put it on pre-order and it shipped on the day it came out so hopefully it'll be here tomorrow.....omg I soooooo can't wait to read A Perfect Blood"

Nicole...I love that you love lots of the same books as I do...Anita Blake, Rachel Morgan, kitty Norville...Have you read Yasmine Galenorn's Sisters of the Moon series? I love thoes books too! They are narrated by 3 sisters, each taking turns with the books..a witch, a were-kitty and a vampire!
I met Kim Harrison at NY Comic Con and I acted like a 12 yr old girl meeting Justin Beiber!!! Oh well...I met her husband, Guy too, they are a cute couple!
I am reading Rachel Vincent's Shifters series (well I took a short break for A Perfect Blood, I couldn't possibly wait to read that one!) I really like it so far have you read it?
OK I must run, my 6 year old, Lily is getting antsy!! talk to you later!

Nicole (innocent_sweetiepie) | 507 comments Juliette wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Can't wait to get the new book in the mail....put it on pre-order and it shipped on the day it came out so hopefully it'll be here tomorrow.....omg I soooooo can't wait to read A Per..."

Haven't gotten it in the mail yet...should get it this week...can't wait to read it....prob be one of those books i read in one day lol....haven't read the sisters of the moon series i'll look into it though.

message 48: by Patty (new) - added it

Patty | 3 comments Juliette wrote: "I am a HUGE Kim Harrison fan. I think the Rachel Morgan books just get better. They are not erotic for the most part, but I love both erotic and non erotic books. A lot of you said you didn't li..."

message 49: by Patty (new) - added it

Patty | 3 comments What book was your fav. Which would you recommend? Thanks

Nicole (innocent_sweetiepie) | 507 comments Oh I absolutely loved all of them but I love the ones with kisten a lot but I think my fav so far is Pale Demon....I would soooooooo reccomend them all but if you wanna just read one to get into the story it'll be hard to go into the later books without knowing the back stories....I suggest reading the whole series.

« previous 1 3