Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Seriously!! I'm loosing my mind! Need a new series!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 173 comments Alright guys. I'm not new to this world and I have read books that have made me cry and I have read some that made me never want to look at another PNR book (*cough*Amanda Ashley*cough*). I am desperately struggling to find another series. I have read PNR, explored some of the highlander stuff, and and am just now sort of getting to the historical stuff but...I miss my PNR. I miss series that make me feel like I did when I read JR Ward, Kresley Cole, and Gena Showalter. I haven't felt that satisfied with a series in SO LONG!

I feel weird when I don't have an intense series waiting for me when I get home from work. Any book advice guys? I'm desperate!

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 208 comments have you read the dark hunters by sherrilyn Kenyon?

message 3: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 173 comments I, literally, have the entire series stacked next to me as we speak. Naming my first child after one of the characters LOL

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 208 comments hahaha ok. scratch that one lol.
how about the demonica series? i guess i'll check out your list and see lol.

message 5: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 173 comments Just read the newest one a couple of days ago. :) Amazing!

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 208 comments well i didn't see Anita Blake on your list, that is a great series. and i don't think i saw highlander series from karen marie moning.

message 7: by Nita (last edited Feb 25, 2010 11:08AM) (new)

Nita (gillnit) | 697 comments Have you read any of Nalini Singh's books? She has two series, Psy-Changeling and Guild Hunter. The first books in those series are Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh and Angels' Blood (Guild Hunters, #1) by Nalini Singh . Don't let the really awful covers for the Psy-Changeling series stop you from reading this great series.

message 8: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 173 comments I've tried reading Laurell K. Hamilton and I just couldn't really get into her writing. :( I have been looking into Karen Marie Moning...Some of the reviewers were kind of iffy about her though. What do you think?

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 208 comments i love her highlanders, so hot!

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) | 134 comments Karen Moning's Fever series is excellent! And the Highlander series is good.

message 11: by Robyn (new)

Robyn Sadler (robsad79) I've only ready Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning and so far, it's really good.

message 12: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 173 comments Thanks guys! Nita and Lauren, I looked into all three series that you guys recommended and the first books of each series are in my request folder at the library!!! Thanks so much! You guys are frickin' life savers! :D

message 13: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 193 comments How about Lynsay Sands and Kerrelyn Sparks for lighter books? Or Lori Handeland and Patricia Briggs for a bit more urban fantasy based PNR? First books below...

Love Bites (Argeneau, #2) by Lynsay Sands Lynsay Sands
How To Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1) by Kerrelyn Sparks Kerrelyn Sparks
Blue Moon (Nightcreature, #1) by Lori Handeland Lori Handeland
Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs Patricia Briggs

Patricia Briggs also writes another series which starts with a short in the On the Prowl anthology.

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 208 comments welcome. and feel free to check out my crazy lists too. i have a ton!

message 15: by ~~*Julie (new)

~~*Julie Kawalec-pearson (jewl) | 66 comments Courtney wrote: "I've tried reading Laurell K. Hamilton and I just couldn't really get into her writing. :( I have been looking into Karen Marie Moning...Some of the reviewers were kind of iffy about her though. Wh..."

The first Laurell K takes more than a few chapters to get into but I swear I couldn't stop reading them after I did finally get hooked- she kicks ass!

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) | 134 comments I'm reading Moon Called which is the first book in Patricia Briggs' series and I'm really liking it so far. Kinda reminds me of the Sookie Stackhouse series. :)

message 17: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 173 comments OH MY GOD NITA!!! I started reading the Psy-Changeling series on Friday and I am already on the last book!!! I am so happy with this series! Thanks you SO SO much! What an amazing author/series!

message 18: by Denise (new)

Denise (kindluvr) The fever series is one of my absolute favorites, but I also love Kitty Norville by Carrie Vaughn and the Hollows series by Kim Harrison. One that's kind of "under the radar" is the Beaufort & Co. series by Mary Stanton (this series is very interesting too) and I've just finished the first four in Lilith Saintcrow's Jill Kismet series.

And next to KMM, my other favorite author is Kelley Armstrong-her "Women of the Otherworld", "otherworld", "Nadia Stafford" and her YA "Chloe Summers" series are all great! She really is a fanatastic author.

Hope this helps!

message 19: by Nita (new)

Nita (gillnit) | 697 comments Glad you like the series Courtney! :D

message 20: by Emaly (new)

Emaly I love Denise's suggestions. The Hollows series is one of my favorites and the Kitty series comes highly recommended. I might also suggest you check out You Slay Me by Katie MacAlister. It was funny and different from the other stuff I've been reading. Good luck on your adventure into a new world.

message 21: by Qylie (new)

Qylie | 39 comments I think the Psy-Changeling series is my favorite series out there. If you haven't read it read it NOW!

message 22: by Denise (new)

Denise (kindluvr) Qylie- I haven't read that one- who is the author?

message 23: by Qylie (new)

Qylie | 39 comments Nalini Singh

message 24: by Denise (new)

Denise (kindluvr) got it! Thanks- I've been looking at her, but wanted to finish the Kismet series first! :)

message 25: by Rebecca (Bec) (new)

Rebecca (Bec) | 248 comments I am currently reading Anita blake series, the lords of the underworld sereies and Keri Arther series. I got three going.
while my inbetween reads are Christine Feehan dark series, Lori handleland nightcreatures series.

Mind you... do not forget the ones I have completed and will continue when new books come out, SK dark hunters, Racheal vincent Shifters series, patricia brigss Mercy and Omega series, JR ward's brotherhoods.. etc etc..

man there are so many books and it is so hard to keep up sometimes! After reading your response to the Psy-Changeling series it will be on my list to read next lol I am constantly lookng for a series with Depth...something that shakes my emotions, if you know what I mean.

thanks guys!

message 26: by Wendalyn (new)

Wendalyn Peterson | 22 comments I love the Dark Series they are great. Not alot of romance in them. Have you read the Kelley Armstrong Otherworld series? I just finished the Demonica first book also I thought it was good. There is nothing like JR Ward. But have you read her new book Covet that is good. Also Lara Adrian has a great series.

message 27: by Shelleyrae (new)

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out | 145 comments I just finished Slave to Sensation which i thought was suprisingly great (especially given the lame title and cover) - for those that have read more in the series - I am worried that the plot (wild changeling meets "flawed" psy) repeats itself in the other books ad nauseum (like in the DarkHunter and Carpathian series)losing any original plot in the process. Do you think that is the case or does it have enough of a story to overcome that?

message 28: by Nita (new)

Nita (gillnit) | 697 comments Shelleyrae - Not all the books in the series have a psy and changeling coupling. One book had a changeling and human coupling, another two changelings, and the last book's couple were two psy. But the overarching plot throughout the books is very unique I think and does not repeat itself at all.

message 29: by Shelleyrae (new)

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out | 145 comments Thanks Nita :)

message 30: by Nita (last edited Mar 02, 2010 05:34PM) (new)

Nita (gillnit) | 697 comments And I just had a look and the next book in the series, coming out in July, has a human and psy couple. I am really looking forward to it.

Bonds of Justice (Psy-Changeling, #8) by Nalini Singh

message 31: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 173 comments I want Hawke's story and I want it NOOOOWWWW!!!! :(

message 32: by Escape (new)

Escape | 44 comments Try Colleen Gleason's The Gardella Vampire Chronicles. I'm serious. My girlfriend whom I totally burned out on PNR and historical is now reading and loving it like I did. And of course there is Jeaniene Frost's The Night Huntress which is my top favorite.

message 33: by Veronica (last edited Mar 22, 2010 10:48PM) (new)

Veronica (vadeluna) | 14 comments I personally like the World of the Lupi series by Eileen Wilks. The first book in this series is Tempting Danger (World of the Lupi, #1) by Eileen Wilks . There is also the Dark series by Christine Feehan starting with Dark Prince (Carpathians, #1) (2d Ed) by Christine Feehan .

message 34: by Lisa X (new)

Lisa X Here is my list I am working on:

Lara Adrian (Midnight Breeds Series)
Kiss of Midnight
Kiss of Crimson
Midnight Awakening
Midnight Rising
Veil of Midnight
Ashes of Midnight
Shades of Midnight

Larissa Ione's (Demonica series)
Pleasure Unbound
Desire Unchained
Passion Unleashed
Ecstasy Unveiled

Kresley Cole
A Hunger Like No Other
No Rest for the Wicked
Wicked Deeds on a Winter’s Night
Dark Needs at Nights edge
Dark Desires After Dusk
Kiss of a demon
Deep Kiss of Winter
Pleasure of a dark Prince

Lora Leigh (breeds)
1. Tempting the Beast
2. The Man Within
3. Elizabeth’s Wolf
4. Kiss of Heat
5. Soul Deep
6. The Breed Next Door
7. Megan’s Mark
8. Harmony’s Way
9. Tanner’s Scheme
10. Wolf’s Hope
11. Jacob’s Faith
12. Aiden’s Charity
13. In a Wolf’s Embrace
14. Dawn’s Awakening
15. A Jaguar’s Kiss
16. Mercury’s War PBS
17. Christmas Heat
18. Coyote's Mate
19. Bengal's Heart
20. A Christmas Kiss
21. Lion's Heat

Nalini Singh
(Psy-Changelings)
Slave to Sensation
VISIONS Of Heat PBS
Caressed by Ice
Mine Possess
Hostage Pleasure
Branded by Fire
(Guild Hunter Series)
Angel’s Blood
Must Love Hellhounds
Archangels Kiss

Karen Marie Moning
(highlander series)
Beyond the Highland Mist
To Tame a Highland Warrior
The Highlanders Touch
Kiss of the Highlander
The Dark Highlander
The immortal Highlander
Spell of the Highlander
Into the dreaming
(Fever series)
Dark Fever
Bloodfever
Faefever
Dreamfever

Gena Showalter
Darkest Night
Darkerst Kiss
Darkest Pleasure

Sherrilyn Kenyon
(Dark-Hunter Series)
Fantasy Lover
#1Night Pleasures
Night Embrace
Dance with the Devil USED
Kiss of the Night
Night Play
Seize the Night
Sins of Night
Unleash the Night
Dark Side of the Moon
The Dream-Hunter USED
Fear The Darkness
Fear the Darkness
Upon Midnight
Devil Cry
Dream Chaser
Acheron
One Silent Night
Dream Warrior
Bad Moon Rising
No Mercy

Kathryn Smith
Be mine Tonight
Night of the Huntress
Taken By the Night
Let The Night Begin
Night After Night

Jacqueline Frank
Jacob
Gideon
Elijah
Damien
Noah

Jeaniene Frost
Halfway to the Grave
One Foot in the Grave
At Graves End
Denstine for an Early Grave

Emma Holly
(Midnight books)
Fantasy (anthology)
Catching Midnight
Hunting Midnight
Hot Blooded (anthology)
Courting Midnight
(Demon Books)
The Demon's Daughter USED
Hot Spell (anthology)
Prince of Ice
Demon's Delight (anthology)
Beyond the Dark (anthology)
Demon's Fire (the sequel to Prince of Ice)

Shayla Black
(The Doomsday Brethren)
Tempt me with Darkness
Suduce me in Shadow
Possess me at Midnight

C.L Wilson
Lord of the Fading Land
Lady of Light and Shadows
King of Sword and Sky
Queen of Song and Souls

Amy J. Fetzer
(The Dragon One Series)
Naked Truth
Hit Hard
Come As You Are
Fight Fire With Fire

Lisa Hendrix
(Immortal Warriors Series)
Immortal Warrior
Immortal Outlaw (June 2009; Hero: Steinarr, half man/half lion)

Heather Waters
The Devil's Possession
Destiny's Warrior

Karin Tabke
The Blood Sword Legacy Series:
Master of Surrender
Master of Torment
Master of Craving (May '09)

The Immortals Series:
The Calling (Jennifer Ashley)
The Darkening (Robin T. Popp)
The Awakening (Joy Nash) USED
The Gathering (Jennifer Ashley)
The Redeeming (Jennifer Ashley)
The Crossing (Joy Nash)
The Haunting (Robin T. Popp)
The Reckoning (All three authors)

Allyson James
Allyson James' Dragon Series:
Dragon Heat
The Black Dragon

Lucy Blue
The Demon Kiss
The Devil’s Knight

THE DARKYN SERIES (Vampire):
If Angels Burn
Private Demon
Dark Need
Night Lost
Evermore
Twilight Fall
Stay the Night"

message 35: by Lady Grey (new)

Lady Grey (theladygrey) | 5 comments Lisa wrote: "Here is my list I am working on:

Lara Adrian (Midnight Breeds Series)
Kiss of Midnight ....
"

Lisa--how many of these series have you read and there ones that you think are particularly good? I checked your book list and saw a few there but I suspect that you have read some that you haven't added yet.

Of the ones you've listed, I've read most of Kresley Cole and Sherrilyn Kenyon books but haven't run across most of the other series. Still waiting for my library copy of the first Jeaniene Frost book.

message 36: by Gemma (last edited Apr 06, 2010 09:46PM) (new)

Gemma | 34 comments Has anyone read the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews? It has amazing world building, and Kate is hilarious (:
The romance is a slow burn, with a lot of tension, but it's really great. The fourth book, Magic Bleeds, is coming out next month, and I'm super excited - the third book was amaaaazing.

C.L. Wilson's Lord of the Fading Lands is one of the best PNRs I've read lately. It's the perfect marriage between fantasy and romance, I can't say how much I heart it (:
I loved the Psy-Changeling series too; I think it worked so well since there's a continuous plot with the Psy council & everything, instead of just being all about the romance. Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter series is awesome too.

Also great;
Fever series by KMM - the most intensely addictive series I've read in ages - it's mad, but brilliant.
The Dorina Basarab series by Karen Chance; it beats Cassie Palmer, hands down.
Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost (companion book First Drop of Crimson is worth a look too).
Gena Showalter's Alien Huntress series is the best out of all her stuff; I thought the Darkest series was a rip off of JR Ward anyways.

message 37: by Lisa X (last edited Apr 06, 2010 09:43PM) (new)

Lisa X

Lisa--how many of these series have you read and there ones that you think are particul..."

C.L Wilson-Currently Reading book #3 (So far really good)
Lara Adrian-Currently Reading book#2 (so far really good)
Kresley Cole- Book #5 (Love it!)
Karen Marie Moning-finished the highland series (loved it!)
JR Ward-finished (loved it!)
Gena Showalter-read #1 & 2 (didn't like and will not finish series)

After I finished jr ward's BDB I had nothing to read so I complied this list so I wouldn't run out of books to read.

I have quite a few of the books that I listed. I hate having to wait for them at the library, plus I live in a small town with a very small library. I do paperbackswap.com and swaptree.com. Even this website has some kind of swap program but I just found this site so I am a little new.

message 38: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (Savhage Temptrest) (savhagetemptress) | 330 comments Courtney wrote: "I want Hawke's story and I want it NOOOOWWWW!!!! :("

I feel ya Courtney! I want Hawke's book sooooo baddddd I can taste it! LOL!

I'd recommend some series to you, but it looks like everything I love has been recommended, lol! You should definitely try out the Guild Hunter Series by Nalini Singh as well. It's more Urban Fantasy Romance, but just as fantastic as the Psy/Changeling series!

message 39: by Qylie (new)

Qylie | 39 comments I want Hawke's story tooo!!! I bet it will be the best one!

message 40: by Mariel (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) Ilona Andrew's Kate Daniels series is a great urban fantasy with a great love interest. Her (their) newest series On the Edge is also very good (and a lot more romance centered than even Kate, actually).

message 41: by WithaK (new)

WithaK | 2 comments YES!!!!!!! Thanks for the lists and recommendations! I finished the JR Ward books and liked them, but LOVED the fever series by Karen Marie Moning! I had no idea it was even called paranormal romance till I joined Goodreads. Lol.

I've been reading the Sherilyn Mckennon series because I stumbled upon them; but I feel like the bow-chicka-wow scenes are all the same. I enjoyed the fever series the most because there was more chick-kickin-butt than love scenes.

message 42: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) have you tried Stephani Hecht - I'm new to the PNR genre, but someone recommended her over on Amazon and I enjoyed the first one in the series (and if I ever get my TBR pile under control, i'll look for some more).

The first one in the series is called angel warriors and is about the group of angels fighting against lucifer in modern day USA (in fact most of it is set in detroit and the one angel is a huge red wings fan)

Angel Warriors

Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews (pnrbookloverreviews) | 43 comments Laurell K Hamilton's Meredith Gentry is Great

message 44: by Regina (last edited Apr 08, 2010 08:53AM) (new)

Regina (reginar) Definitely read Moning's Faefever series. I haven't met anyone in real life or online who has been dissapointed by the series. It is seriously one of the best UF series out there. Then after you read the Faefevers series, read the Highlander series by Moning.

Also, Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress series) by Frost

The Breed series by Lara Adrian

message 45: by Keri (new)

Keri | 50 comments Another great & different series is the Monere Children of the Moon by Sunny. The first book is Mona Lisa Awakening. Mona Lisa Awakening

OpenBookSociety.com  (openbooksociety) | 34 comments The Kim Harrison Hollows series is Awesome! One of my favorites!

The Mercy Thompson series by Patrica Briggs is another good one.

And the Cassie Palmers series by Karen Chance isnt to bad.

message 47: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 173 comments Wow you guys! Thank you SO much! I had to drift over to Highlander Romance for a while because I couldn't find a good series but now (as much as I ADORE the HR genre) I have a lot of work to do in PNR again!! :D

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments My top four series ever are:
Outlander - Diana Gabaldon
Twilight - Stephenie Meyer
Mortal Instruments - Cassandra Clare
Sevenwaters series - Juliet Marillier

All different, time travel and Scotland, vampires, shadow hunters and all other supernatural creatures plus angels, and Ireland druids & the fey. The second one I listed and the third are YA and the others are not. I listed them in the order I read them.

message 49: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot If you want something really different try this fantasy trilogy that I read over at bookcrossing.
King's Property, Clan Daughter, Royal Destiny by Morgan HowellThe trilogy is known as Queen of the Orcs and is about a woman sold into slavery, serving army officers and their Orc Allies as they face war. I don't want to give away the plot and I don't usually like fantasy books like this but really enjoyed the series.

message 50: by Qylie (last edited Apr 14, 2010 11:29AM) (new)

Qylie | 39 comments How much Romance is in it? I finished reading Daughter of the Empire- by Feist and Wurts. It is a 3 books series has sex/romance in each book but that is not the focus of the stories.. Might be the same type of series?

« previous 1