Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

Book of the Month (BOM) > (Mar 2010) - Witchling - *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (last edited Feb 25, 2010 09:55AM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
Discuss our March Book of the Month choice here :D

Witchling (Sisters of the Moon, #1) by Yasmine Galenorn
Witchling by Yasmine Galenorn

Remember, spoilers are allowed.

1. Which character do you like the most and why? The least and why?

2. What passage from the book stood out to you?

3. Are there situations and/or characters you can identify with, if so how?

4. Did you learn something you didn’t know before?

5. Do you feel as if your views on a subject have changed by reading this text?

6. What major emotion did the story evoke in you as a reader?

7. At what point in the book did you decide if you liked it or not? What helped make this decision?

8. Name your favorite thing overall about the book. Your least favorite?

9. If you could change something about the book what would it be and why?

10. Describe what you liked or disliked about the writer’s style?

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (thehopelessbibliophile) 1. I loved that Camille was confident in herself, but that her spells still went wonky enough of the time that she couldn't be overly confident, as is common in a lot of UF these days. This makes her a little easier to relate to.

7. I liked Witchling right away, but what really clinched it for me was when Delilah poofed into a little kitty on the couch because everyone's yelling upset her. It was just too cute!

8.2 One thing I always dislike is love triangles in which both sides have actually been consummated. I know it's a little prudish, but, hey, I'm a good little Catholic school girl. (Most of the time, anyway..)

message 3: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (jessim) I picked up this book a few months ago and couldn't even finish it. It was really boring to me. I had to put it down.

message 4: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 902 comments Mod
I read the first few chapters but never did like the writing, story or characters. So it was hard to finish.

message 5: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (tammycaronna) | 2 comments I read the whole book. I really liked the characters. Menolly is my favorite.I enjoyed the book, but I will say it was bogged down at times. I very much dislike that she rambles on and on with discriptions. It is distracting from the story. The world she has created is very interesting and unique. I didnt decide until close to the end if I liked the book or not. I also wasnt really a fan of the multiple relationships. But hey whatever floats her boat. Overall it was a good book, but plenty of room for improvemnet.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 168 comments I remember reading this for another group last year and while I didn't love it, I enjoyed it enough to read the next in the series and buy the third. I know a lot of people didn't care for it though.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (fireweaver) this one was only "meh" for me. i liked it well enough to finish it (though it's exceedingly rare for me NOT to finish a book once i've started), but it wasn't all that great. the sisters are described as being very different people, but their voices all were written so similarly (check out the chapter of the 2nd book tacked on to the back of this one...yep, same narrative). i felt that instead of each of the girls being developed characters, it was more like each is one of the standard PNR cliches. this is the sassy one, that's the cute/sweet one (i.e., the mary janice davidson one?), and this is the ass-kicker.

there were some good ideas in there - i really did like her kitsune guy friend a lot - but it just didn't all come together for me.

message 8: by Lisa O. (new)

Lisa O. | 77 comments This isn't one of my favorite books, but it was interesting enough for me to finish it. I liked most of the characters and the world was pretty interesting, although it reminded me of so many other worlds that I won't say it was original. I think the overall storyline was pretty good, but I hated how she put the details in. One minute their in a fight scene, or some other dramatic scene, the next she's telling some little anecdote about life in OW, or how it's different Earthside. Someday I may continue the series, but I'm in no rush.

message 9: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 27 comments I really enjoyed this, but I'm not a fan of the whole PNR-heroines-must-have-multiple-lovers thing so that angle bugged me a bit. I really liked Iris and Smoky. I'm reading Changeling at the moment and will read Darkling when I'm done as I'd brought the three. Beyond that I'm not sure if I'll rush out and buy the rest of the books as the detail-dumping Lisa picked up on bugged me too. I'm interested in where the storyline goes - especially as it appears that each book will be focused on a spirit seal - but right now I'm not desperate to know what's going to happen.

message 10: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
I really enjoyed what I read of this book, which was about 1/3 of it. I just haven't gotten around to picking it up again and I been too busy.

Oh well not all will be winners :D There is always next month!

message 11: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ I enjoyed this book but agree that it is difficult to get into. The girls are a bit strange and it's hard to figure out what is going on. I loved the dragon and hope he appears in the other books as a mate (or whatever) to one of the sisters.

Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Witchling (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Yasmine Galenorn (other topics)