Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

MGR [archived] > [March] First Drop of Crimson**SPOILERS**

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 902 comments Mod
Feel free to chat about this MARCH read if you have already read it.

After the read there will be discussion questions posted in MARCH. Thanks for joining in the chat about FDOC.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Riga (aeriga) i feel like i should start with the Night Huntress series before getting to this one :S any suggestions?

message 3: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Amanda: You should read the NH series first. This series is about the secondary characters in NH and literally start after events in the last book of NH. This series is a "booster" instead of being a spin-off to the NH series.

message 4: by Amanda (last edited Mar 01, 2010 12:33AM) (new)

Amanda Riga (aeriga) Hmm that's what I thought lol thanks

message 5: by Patty (new)

Patty (patty21) | 7 comments did anyone read it? I've just finished and I'm disappointed...am I over-reacting? Just didn't think it held up to Bones/Cat.

message 6: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
I havent yet, I have a lot on my plate for this month so I dont know if I will be able to.

If I do it will be in a couple weeks.. and I will post here with my thoughts.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments I did read it and like it, but the main Cat/Bones series is better. I loved the additional development of Spade, Ian, Mencheres, and co., but Denise wasn't my favorite heroine.

message 8: by Elena (last edited Mar 02, 2010 05:52PM) (new)

Elena Patty wrote: "did anyone read it? I've just finished and I'm disappointed...am I over-reacting? Just didn't think it held up to Bones/Cat."

I am with you, I was also disappointed. There is not tension building, and Denise is whining all the time.

***Spoiler***

I didn't like the part when Denise turns into a cat and travels in a pet carrier, or the fact that she remains a demon at the end.

I did like to see the old characters again and how they all came together to help Spade.

message 9: by Patty (new)

Patty (patty21) | 7 comments Thanks for your input. I enjoyed it but just thought it read like a romance novel. I also loved bones, cat and ian coming to his side. I'm not giving up on Jeanienne though...I'll want to read Ian's story...just wish it was more like the first couple of books.

message 10: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (jessim) I read it. I thought that it was pretty good, but I did like the Cat/Bones series much better. Denise seemed to be whining 90% of the book and it drove me crazy! I did like Spade's character in the book.

message 11: by Elena (new)

Elena I liked Spade also. I have to say that Jeaniene Frost has a way of describing him, as she did Bone, that leaves me "Whoa!"

message 12: by Shay (new)

Shay The book left me wondering about Ian.
He is not the "arse" he used to be in NH series. Do you think he will get a book of his one? I think i'de like to know more about him, I'm like moth to a flame...

message 13: by Lady Allison (new)

Lady Allison | 150 comments She did warn us though that is wasn't going to be as action-oriented as the NH series. She wants the spinoffs to be more romance-oriented, especially because they're wrapping up in one book. I think that was the part that disappointed me the most, I wanted to read more Spade!

message 14: by Elena (last edited Mar 04, 2010 07:54AM) (new)

Elena Book number two, will be about Menchester and will be released in July Eternal Kiss of Darkness. Probably also romance more than action. I'll wait and see.

message 15: by Lisa O. (new)

Lisa O. | 77 comments Overall I liked the book. It's not as good as NH series, but was still a fun read. I didn't like Spade's character as much as I thought I was going to though. I'm still looking forward to the next one, I'm glad I only have to wait until July.

message 16: by Katelyn (new)

Katelyn I actually heard that Spade is one of the only side characters that she is writing a 2nd book on, and I haven't heard anything about Ian getting his own book but Frost at one point on her blog said if the spin off series go over well she wants to do a spin off on Vlad, which would be great!

message 17: by Elena (new)

Elena This is where I read the second book being Menchester story.

http://jeanienefrost.com/

message 18: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) This book was ok. I think the end was to rushed and the beginning was to slow. While I enjoyed seeing Spade as a master vamp I did not enjoy the love interest what was her name Denise? I just could not buy into it. Even still it was a decent story.

message 19: by Lady Allison (new)

Lady Allison | 150 comments http://jeanienefrost.com/2010/03/done...

Her latest blog post outlines her upcoming releases:

Eternal Kiss of Darkness with Mencheres and Kira

Death's Excellent Vacation with a Cat & Bones short story

Haunted by Your Touch which is going to be an anthology with a new world of fallen angels & demons

& in 2011 we'll get Cat & Bones #5!!!
-------------------------------------------

As to the main topic of this thread, I liked Denise.

***Spoiler***

Even though she had her issues, she was still clever enough in the end to trick Raum into making Nathaniel a human even if she had to be a demon. It didn't bother me that she had to be a demon because it made her immortal too and the demon part of her could be controlled.

message 20: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) You know one thing I am confused about is Denise's blood, so her blood is like a vamp drug right?

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments Yup.

message 22: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Discussion questions

Did you like the main character[s:]?
Do you like the plot?
What do you like about the world creation the most?
Do you think you would recommend this book to others?
Would you change anything?
Would you read other books by the author [feel free to link the ones you have read/reviewed:]?
Are you going to read the rest of the series?
How long did it take you to get into the book?

message 23: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Still haven't had a chance to read it, or even peek at the first chapter! But anxious to get to it =D

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments Like the main characters? Yes. Spade was super; Denise was less so, but ok. I thought it was a little over the top for her to have PTSD on top of the demon thing, though.

Like the plot? Yes.

Most like about the world? I like the family bonds. Loyalties make interesting situations.

Recommendations? I'd recommend it to JF fans, with the caveat that it is NOT like the Night Huntress books. It is good, but not Bones smokin' hot. LOL

Changes? I'd make Denise less whiny and take out the PTSD. I'm sure JF had a reason for all that, and it is her world...

Read more of her? Yes, please. I can't wait for the next Night Huntress, and I really want to see stories for Ian and Vlad. I will continue both series.

It didn't take me long to get into it. First chapter hooked me.

message 25: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (tammycaronna) | 2 comments I did like the main characters. Not as much as Cat/bones, but overall I liked them.
I liked the plot. I thought it was a little slow compared to her earlier books though.
My favorite thing about the world she has created is the Characters. I was very disapointed that it took so long for her to bring in our beloved friends from the earlier books. I was also unhappy that some didnt make an appearance at all.
I will for sure recommend it to people.
Changes? yes I would change the stuff I mentioned before.I also wouldnt have them "think " about each other so much. It dragged the story down.They are attracted to each other, we get it. You dont have to beat us over the head with it.
I have read all the books in this series, and LOVED them. I will continue to read her , but I hope she fixs some issues.
I had a hard time getting into this book. I was over halfway through it before I started to enjoy it. Believe me I was making my husband nuts complaining about it up to that point LOL. Once it started picking up I was really impressed though. The last half of the book made up for the slow start.

message 26: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 73 comments I enjoyed this book. I think it was a quick read. It was very JF. Cat is obviously a very different person from Denise. But I wouldn't say that I enjoyed this book less than NH series. I'm more invested in NH since there's been 4(?) books so far. I liked that this was all wrapped up in one book.

message 27: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Kenjii ~*~Black Kat~**~ wrote: "Still haven't had a chance to read it, or even peek at the first chapter! But anxious to get to it =D"

Ok.I am about 5 chapters in and I like it so far. Not getting that OMG so love it feeling I got when I first read Halfway to the grave, but I do like the plot so far and how Denise and Spade and getting on so far =D.

message 28: by Jessi (last edited Mar 24, 2010 08:12AM) (new)

Jessi  (jessim) Main Characters: Yes, for the most part. Denise was kinda whiny and that got annoying.

Plot: Yeah, it keep me tuned in and wanting to finish the story. Could of used a little more "meat" but overall it was pretty good.

Recomend: Yes

Any changes: Yes, Denise and her PTSD. She was way to whiny and desperate.

Other books by author: Heck yeah. I have already read the whole Cat/Bones series and LOVED it.

Rest of this series: Yes, I'm glad that they seem to be about different characters, so I don't have to read about Denise whining anymore. :)

How long to read: It took me about 2 weeks to read the book, while I enjoyed it, it wasn't holding my attention to the point that I couldn't put it down.

message 29: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Jessi: That's about right. One minute Denise hates everything vampire, then she wants Spade so much! Cat went through the same thing with Bones but the chemistry was blistering! I loved that! Hmmm....I don't know what's missing but I am just glad its well written and apart of my favorite series, otherweise I wouldn't be so enthuised.

message 30: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

As far as how things move along in romances its like there are skipped beats. The moments that set up the next aren't as built up as they could be. I think this will take a while to finish, and perhaps even longer to rate. Because I am not sure what I think about Spade and Denise as of the halfway mark!

message 31: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Did you like the main character[s:]? No. Why? Ok. I liked Spade and Denise, but as a couple they were less than convincing. I don't know why. I just had a feeling they were paired more out of convenience [from Cat and Bone story:].
Do you like the plot? I liked the plot after they kidnapped Nathaniel and more about how they needed the demon knife to kill Raum came about. It was more interesting than how many ways Denise and Spade could dance around each other. Their attraction wasn't that tense to me. I did however end up like the book overall more than when I was about halfway through.
What do you like about the world creation the most? The introduction of demons.
Do you think you would recommend this book to others? Of course! I'd just say read my review =D
Would you change anything? Perhaps find Spade another girlfriend? He's really hot I liked him!
Would you read other books by the author [feel free to link the ones you have read/reviewed:]?M Yes. I will pick up Eternal Kiss of Darkness, as Mencheres seems interesting too.
Are you going to read the rest of the series? Yes. Its too good to stop at one least than great story.
How long did it take you to get into the book? Almost the last 50 pages or so. But it paid off and was worth finishing!