Horror Aficionados discussion

Werewolf recommendations

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Judah Hi all, I don't read a lot of horror, but when I get a taste to read it I particularily enjoy werewolf-oriented stuff. As y'all probably know, there's a lot of really poorly written stuff out there, so....any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Cynjon

message 2: by Margaret (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Margaret | 4 comments Vegas Bites by LA Banks is a good one according to the reviews I have not yet read but I plan to read it soon. L.A. Banks Vampire books are on fire

message 3: by J.R. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

J.R. Randle (jrrandle) | 2 comments Margaret which L.A. Banks should I begin with if interested in both vampires, and werewolves?

message 4: by Margaret (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Margaret | 4 comments Minion Is the first in that series.you will become hooked on it Carlos the Vampire could bite me anytime he wants to he's so romantic.And the there's Damalli the Vampire slayer it is just good.

message 5: by Margaret (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Margaret | 4 comments Vegas Bites is the first werewolf book

message 6: by J.R. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

J.R. Randle (jrrandle) | 2 comments Margaret thanks for the suggestions.

message 7: by S.A. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

S.A. Parham | 1 comments A good series that has a lot of supernatural species is Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series (Moon Called, Blood Bound, Iron Kissed [due out this year I think:]).

While I'm not a fan, Kelley Armstrong has a werewolf series.

Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series has some werewolf stuff, but I think it's 2 or 3 books into the series. Same with Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire series... Weres show up book 2 or 3 and dominate the series a lot from there.

message 8: by BeerDiablo (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

BeerDiablo | 6 comments Steven E.Wedel has some interesting stuff.
http://www.stevenewedel.com/

message 9: by Susan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Susan A recent one is W.D. Gagliani, "Wolf's Trap"

message 10: by Jude Felton (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Jude Felton | 1 comments I'm presently reading Wolf's Trap, and it's pretty good so far.

message 11: by Fredstrong (new)

Fredstrong | 6 comments I have never read a werewolf novel, but perhaps it's time. Steven E.Wedel's Werewolf Saga sounds interesting...

message 12: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 2 comments Shara by Steven Wedel is great.

Saint Peter's Wolf by Cadnum is an interesting take on the whole 'change' myth.

The Mammoth Book of Werewolves by Stephen Jones has a bunch of cool short stories all about werewolves.

The Adventures of a Two-Minute Werewolf by Gene DeWeese is a humorous adolescent novel about a kid who suddenly starts going through some, um, changes.

Cheri Scotch wrote a trilogy of werewolf novels - Werewolf's Kiss, Werewolf's Touch and Werewolf's Sin. They have more romance than the others, but are still pretty good.

Ivy Cole and the Moon by Gina Farago

The Hyde Effect and Shapes by Steve Vance (2 different novels) - more gore, less romance.

And the list goes on! I also love werewolf novels. Enjoy!

message 13: by Cliff (new)

Cliff | 11 comments Steven King's "Silver Bullet"

message 14: by James (new)

James | 167 comments Stephen King's CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF is a must-read. Also, one of my favorites is ANIMALS by John Skipp & Craig Spector.

Leisure Books just released J.F. Gonzalez's SHAPESHIFTER, which looks promising. I haven't read it yet, but I have read several other things by Gonzalez, and he's a fine writer.

J.N.
http://www.james-newman.com

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Here's another vote for Steve Wedel's werewolf saga. SHARA is great, and he's got a sequel called ULRIK at the publisher's that is even better.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd go with Tessier's NIGHTWALKER and Endore's THE WEREWOLF OF PARIS. Then again, I'm not much on werewolves.

Oh, look, the scary doggy is after me.

Heh.

message 17: by Cullen (new)

Cullen | 1 comments Hey there. I'd suggest ANIMALS by Skipp and Spector or WOLF'S HOUR by Robert McCammon. And, yeah, I agree with Rob; the old WEREWOLF BY NIGHT comics were great, and they are available in an Essential edition. :)

message 18: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 177 comments I second the recommendation for Angela Carter and The Bloody Chamber. Totally gorgeous stories.

message 19: by Beatnik-7 (new)

Beatnik-7 | 1 comments What about 'The Howling' by Gary Brandner, or 'Wolfen', by Whitley Strieber. I enjoyed both.

message 20: by Christina (new)

Christina Check out Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow .I'm reading it now and it is fantastic
Chris

message 21: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 13 comments If you don't mind short stories, I would highly recommend "Werewolf! A Chrestomathy of Lycanthropy", edited by Bill Pronzini.

There are stories by classic writers such as Guy deMaupassant and Rudyard Kipling, contemporary tales by James Blish, Fritz Leiber, Peter S. Beagle and others, and future stories by Clark Ashton Smith and Brian W. Aldiss.

Not all these stories are horror. Some lean more towards sci-fi and fantasy.

Last time I checked, the book was out of print, but you should be able to find it in a library.

I also enjoyed:

Canyons, by P. D. Cacek - a rather unusual take on the traditional werewolf story. It starts out with a tabloid reporter being saved from being shot by a werewolf. It is violent, darkly humorous and slightly romantic. Even though I read it quite a while ago, it is rather memorable.

Howling Mad, by Peter David - a very light and fun comedy/horror about a wolf who is bitten by a werewolf and becomes a man.

Kitty and the Midnight Hour, by Carrie Vaughn - about a late-night DJ who hosts a talk radio show for lycanthropes, vampires and other supernatural folks. A light, fun read and the best of what I've read of the series so far.

Gil's All Fright Diner, by A. Lee Martinez - Earl (a vampire) and Duke (a werewolf) get mixed up in strange happenings in a small-town, including a zombie attack in a diner. This is a light and very funny read that is immensely enjoyable.

Check out other titles on my shelf (tagged "werewolves")

Enjoy!
Nancy

message 22: by Ned (new)

Ned | 4 comments Gary Bradner's two THE HOWLING novels are worth checking out if you can track them down. Good 70's pulp horror fiction.

message 23: by Jason (new)

Jason "The Lonely Werefolf Girl" by Maritn Millar was one of the best books I read last summer. Kalix is the main character, a young Scottish werewolf outcast from a royal line of werewolves. The patriarch is dead and there is internal strife about who shall lead the clan. Kalix is a burnout/junkie werewolf in London. Her character is such a misfit, but she's so cool I'm debating whether I should get a tattoo of her. The story takes place in contempary London. It's well written and very funny at times, but violent and cruel as well.

message 24: by Scott (new)

Scott I've seen that in the store...I might pick it up.

message 25: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 487 comments Lilith Saintcrow has 'Weres' in some of her series. Everything from Werewolf to Werespider. Interesting.
Patricia Briggs, Shiloh Walker to mention a few, have Were somethings in their series.
The Paranormal Romance and Urban or Dark Fantasy genres have exploded with Weres in recent years. I think Vampires are draining the market (heh) and authors are moving on to something different.

As far as the true Horror Werewolf stories, most of the best ones have been mentioned.
A few others;
Lonely Werewolf Girl by Martin Millar.
The Sacred Book of the Werewolf by Victor Pelevin.
Wilderness by Dennis Danvers.
Ivy Cole And the Moon by Gina Farago.
Moonwarriors by Rusty Nugent.
Shadow Of The Beast by Margaret L. Carter.

message 26: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments A lot of good ones already mentioned, but I would say the BEST werewolf novel is probably Animals by Skipp & Specter (out-of-print now, but I'm sure you can find a used copy), and more recently Ray Garton's Ravenous and the follow-up, Bestial (which I have not read but heard was good). And then there's the classics, The Wolfen and The Howling. The Nightwalker by Thomas Tessier is probably--hands-down--one of the most unusual but well-written werewolf novels I've ever read.

message 27: by Scott (new)

Scott Thomas Tessier is really good. I hope Leisure brings more of his novels back into print.

message 28: by Chris (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments I agree. I read The Nightwalker and was blown away at how incredibly unique that novel was.

message 29: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments What? Bestial is a sequel? I checked out Bestial today from the library. I don't even know if we have Ravenous. Wonder if Bestial is a stand alone?

message 30: by Brett (last edited Apr 27, 2009 08:24PM) (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 487 comments Nope. Bestial is a sequel. Here is a bit directly from Ray Garton's MySpace page;

BESTIAL - In stores April 1! The sequel to RAVENOUS!

Something very strange is happening in the coastal California town of Big Rock. Several residents have died in unexplained, particularly brutal ways, many torn apart in animal attacks. And there's always that eerie howling late at night ...

You might think there's a werewolf in town. But you'd be wrong. It's not just one werewolf, but the whole town that's gradually transforming. Bit by bit, as the infection spreads, the werewolves are becoming more and more powerful. In fact, humans may soon be the minority, mere prey for their hungry neighbors. Is it too late for the humans to fight back? Did they ever have a chance from the start?

Where RAVENOUS ends ... BESTIAL begins as two private investigators come to Big Rock. Karen Moffett and Gavin Keoph have been hired to investigate the mysterious deaths of Sheriff Arlin Hurley and so many of his deputies ... the new Sheriff who has come out of nowhere ... and the savage attacks that have spread such fear in the town. Moffett and Keoph are not strangers to bizarre investigations. In NIGHT LIFE, the sequel to LIVE GIRLS, they uncovered a nest of bloodthirsty vampires in Los Angeles. But this time, they might have bitten off more than they can chew ...

And even cooler! These books have the same characters from 2 other books. So you could almost, kinda call it a loose series....maybe. -grin-

message 31: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Thanks, Brett. I'm about to start Golem anyway, so I'll see if I can get Ravenous next and then read Bestial. They both look like good stories.

message 32: by Chris (last edited Apr 28, 2009 07:14AM) (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments Garton's Ravenous is very good. My only "complaint" (and it is a minor one) is the very end of the novel. With the "sheriff". I don't want to give away any spoilers...

message 33: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Todd loved these books: Howl-O-Ween,Demon Fire, Ungrateful Dead He's more of a were fan than me (I tend toward vamps, zombies and ghosts)and he says they're good if you're looking for the non-romance variety.