The Lucid Garden discussion

Horror recommendations please

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Judah | 34 comments Mod
Lately I've had this desire for something in the horror vein...preferably monster based....even better if it's werewolf oriented. (hey, I don't read horror all that often, so I get to be picky when I want to!)

Unfortunately, that's one genre that's rife with poorly written crap, so...any recommendations?

Cynjon

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Rachel | 1 comments Have you read Night Watch?

Not really horror but its definitely got werewolves. the book is worth it even if you have seen the movie because the movie is only the first 3rd of the book.

message 3: by Lane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new)

Lane | 11 comments If you're looking for werewolves, you might want to try Kornwolf by Tristan Egolf. Ahmish werewolves, which work pretty well, but I had some problems with it, mostly the ending.

message 4: by Judah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Judah | 34 comments Mod
Rachel: Not yet...I keep meaning to pick it up though!

Seth: Thanks! there's a few on there I'll be looking into.

Lane: Added it to my "want to read" list...thanks!

message 5: by Curtis (new)

Curtis | 3 comments House on the Borderland by William Hope hodgeson and house of leaves are two of the scarier novels I've ever read, although there is little of an actual monster element to them.

message 6: by Moonglum (new)

Moonglum | 4 comments There is a great werewolf story in the collection 'Death Angel's Shadow' by Karl Edward Wagner. In general, the late Karl Wagner's Kane stories are a very eerie combination of swords and sorcery and horror. Although I have the original paperbacks (with Frazetta covers), I was overjoyed that they reprinted all of his stories and novels:

The Midnight Sun: The Complete Stories of Kane (Hardcover)

and

Gods in Darkness: The Complete Novels of Kane (Hardcover)

message 7: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 12 comments Dave H wrote: "Has everyone given up on this group? I hope not, the discussions and subject matter are very interesting."

I haven't I think it's that is in competition with some more active groups.

message 8: by Christy (last edited Oct 21, 2009 04:02PM) (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) For a comic, Dead Irons, the art is BEAUTIFUL.

message 9: by Judah (new)

Judah | 34 comments Mod
Thanks for the linkage, Dave, I'll be checking that out shortly!

As for activity, yeah it can be quiet here at times. When I'm not travelling so much, I try and keep some activity going, but it's been a busyusybusy year for me!

message 10: by Nancy (new)

Nancy If you don't mind short stories, I would highly recommend Werewolf! A Chrestomathy of Lycanthropy.

There are stories by classic writers such as Guy deMaupassant and Rudyard Kipling, contemporary tales by James Blish, Fritz Leiber, Peter S. Beagle and others, and future stories by Clark Ashton Smith and Brian W. Aldiss.

Not all these stories are horror. Some lean more towards sci-fi and fantasy.

Last time I checked, the book was out of print, but you should be able to find it in a library.

I also enjoyed:

Canyons by P.D. Cacek - a rather unusual take on the traditional werewolf story. It starts out with a tabloid reporter being saved from being shot by a werewolf. It is violent, darkly humorous and slightly romantic. Even though I read it quite a while ago, it is rather memorable.

Howling Mad by Peter David - a very light and fun comedy/horror about a wolf who is bitten by a werewolf and becomes a man.

Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez - Earl (a vampire) and Duke (a werewolf) get mixed up in strange happenings in a small-town, including a zombie attack in a diner. This is a light and very funny read that is immensely enjoyable.

message 11: by Esonja (new)

Esonja | 2 comments I have really wanted to recommend Shirley Jackson in two of these discussions--here I will say The Haunting of Hill House is creepy in a lovely and bone deep kind of way.