21st Century Ghosts - Joe Hill discussion

Welcome

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris , The Devil Inside (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 130 comments It was mentioned that we probably needed a Joe Hill group on GoodReads. Now we have one.

Betsy Boo and I discussed setting it up, and we're about ready to launch. It's a public group, so remember your manners.

Yeah...right.....anyway. Have fun!

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Manners? Uh oh. I'll do my best! :)

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 92 comments so no strip tease Chris?

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Rachel wrote: "so no strip tease Chris?"

Rats! *puts away my stack of $1 bills*

message 5: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Boo (betsyboo) | 30 comments Thanks Chris! Looking forward to being a part of this group. I'll help all I can!

message 6: by Chris , The Devil Inside (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 130 comments Rachel wrote: "so no strip tease Chris?"

B&B is still private....hehe

message 7: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new)

Kandice | 111 comments I can behave;)

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments What's "behaving"? lol.

Thanks for the invitation, Chris! :)

message 9: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new)

Kandice | 111 comments Chris, Rachel, Becky and I tend to get a little PG-13 sometimes.*-*

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Yes, sometimes we do, as opposed to all of the rest of the time when I'm definitely Rated-R. :P

message 11: by Chris , The Devil Inside (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 130 comments Welcome, Kathy.....

and as far as the rating system..yeah....NC-17 at least.

message 12: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new)

Kandice | 111 comments I was trying to tone it down a bit! Geesh....

message 13: by Chris , The Devil Inside (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 130 comments Okay, I've mod-ified Becky and Kandice. No bowing necessary, though I'm sure they will accept gifts.

message 14: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new)

Kandice | 111 comments Ha ha!

message 15: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) And money. :P

message 16: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new)

Kandice | 111 comments Or gift cards.:D

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments Who's gets money??? lol

If Joe Hill's event goes on as planned tomorrow at my store, I'll try to get some pics. (I don't know how to put them on here, but I'm sure Becky knows.) :)

message 18: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new)

Kandice | 111 comments Becky can definitely walk you through posting them. I would LOVE to some. I'm keeping my fingers crossed he doesn't cancel.

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments Kandice wrote: "Becky can definitely walk you through posting them. I would LOVE to some. I'm keeping my fingers crossed he doesn't cancel."

Me too! Crossing fingers, toes....and anything else that I can think of! lol

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Me three, even though it's looking doubtful that I'll actually be there! :(

message 21: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments Becky wrote: "Me three, even though it's looking doubtful that I'll actually be there! :("

I'm so sorry, Becky! Maybe another time, the weather will work with us!

message 22: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) That's OK... He's got a long career ahead of him... There's sure to be another round of signings where I can stalk meet him, sometime... :)

message 23: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments Well, I hope to be the groupie backstage to meet him if all goes well. :)

message 24: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Pictures! Pictures! O_O

message 25: by Vicki (new)

Vicki G (emtp513) I could write an essay on manners. No two people agree on what constitutes manners.
I mean I think manners are culturally oriented.
Still I suppose everyone recognizes the golden rule: treat others as you'd like to be treated yourself.
That's what I try to do but, when it came to knowing how to eat in a high-class restaurant, I didn't even know what a finger bowl was-and all my eating habits were wrong, even tho I thought my mom had taught me manners.
I used to live w/ a doctor. He was in medical research, a Molecular Biologist w/ one of his degrees from Northwestern University.
That's probably TMI, but I wanted to end w/ a positive thought.

message 26: by Vicki (new)

Vicki G (emtp513) Rachel wrote: "so no strip tease Chris?"lmao

message 27: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Vicki wrote: "I could write an essay on manners. No two people agree on what constitutes manners.
Still I suppose everyone recognizes the golden rule: treat others..."

Vicki, I think I missed something here... What is this about?

message 28: by Vicki (new)

Vicki G (emtp513) Becky wrote: "Vicki wrote: "I could write an essay on manners. No two people agree on what constitutes manners.
Still I suppose everyone recognizes the golden rule..."

I think it means I'm not a writer. I'm a paramedic. I know how to intubate patients and perform IV Therapy and do a cricothyrotomy when necessary.
I'm not a writing major, but I was commenting on manners anyway.
I feel way more comfortable in the emergency medicine milieu.
I've never really been in a writer's social environment, but I write my own poems and have 7 college credits in creative writing.
My mind is random today, and there's nothing I can do to stop it.

message 29: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) OK, and your commentary on manners is in regards to what? I'm not seeing the connection to the Joe Hill group you're posting in, or any posts that were made before. Are you a Joe Hill fan? Have you read any of his books or stories or graphic novels?

message 30: by Vicki (new)

Vicki G (emtp513) Becky wrote: "OK, and your commentary on manners is in regards to what? I'm not seeing the connection to the Joe Hill group you're posting in, or any posts that were made before. Are you a Joe Hill fan? Have you..."
You'd already know the answer to 'Have you read any of his books?' if you checked the list of books I've read. I'd have him as a favorite author too, but I don't know how to add authors to my 'favorite authors' section. I'm even worse w/ computer technology, and a friend added the author already listed on my list of favorite authors.
I checked high and low about how to do it and never found the correct way.

message 31: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Vicki wrote: "You'd already know the answer to 'Have you read any of his books?' if you checked the list of books I've read."

Vicki, Now I completely understand why you mentioned that you could write a book on manners. However, this is a "Welcome" thread. Generally the purpose of this thread is for you to introduce yourself to the group and tell us a bit about yourself and how your interests pertain to the group you've joined.

Perhaps in other groups you've joined, the moderators investigate members' bookshelves and verify their read books, but we do not do that here. Anyone is welcome to join, whether they've read Hill's books or not. However we do request that posts have something to do with the topic at hand. I was just trying to understand where you were coming from with your seemingly completely random posts.

Moving forward, perhaps we could keep posts at least marginally focused on the topic? Thank you.

message 32: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) PS. To add a favorite author, you simply have to go to their Goodreads profile page and click "Become a fan" under their profile picture.

message 33: by Vicki (new)

Vicki G (emtp513) How do un-sign yourself from this group. I can't find anywhere that lets me change my mind and back out of a group once I've joined it.
I've searched high and low for the answer, I even checked the Goodrads help page.
Are you stuck in a group once you join it?

message 34: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Vicki wrote: "How do un-sign yourself from this group. I can't find anywhere that lets me change my mind and back out of a group once I've joined it.
I've searched high and low for the answer, I even checked the..."

I'll help. :)

message 35: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new)

Kandice | 111 comments Has anyone heard anything about what he is releasing next?

message 36: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments I have no idea, but I follow him on Twitter and I got the impression he just finished something. I'm so excited!!! :)

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 92 comments I think the working title is The Fireman and he thought it would be out in 2015-2016 but it sounded like conjecture. Kathy, you're on Twitter?

message 38: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments Yeah, I don't say anything....I just stalk my favorite writers! Lol

message 39: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new)

Kandice | 111 comments Thanks, Kathy. I thought I had heard or read something somewhere that gave me the impression we could expect something, but didn't remember where. Could even have been wishful thinking.

Rachel, where did you see something about The Fireman? I can think of so much to do with that title...now I'm going ot get all excited and then just have to wait!

message 40: by Charity (last edited Nov 25, 2014 10:04AM) (new)

Charity (ccopeland28) | 2 comments Joe Hill read an excerpt from The Fireman on September 5, 2014 via Google Hangout.

@joe_hill: Just two minutes until we do this YouTube Google Hangout for the Pixel Project. Come on down and say hi: click to see Joe Hill read an excerpt from The Fireman

http://t.co/znEfNc7Sd2/s/D523

He starts reading two minutes in.

message 41: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments Thanks, Charity! I can't listen to this on my work computer (drat!), but I will listen as soon as I get home!

message 42: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new)

Kandice | 111 comments Thank you so much!!!

message 43: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new)

Kandice | 111 comments Listened and loved the story, but he is not as good a narrator as his father. I don't know if that's because Stephen's voice is so dear to me or if he really is better at reading out loud.

Anyway, I can't wait!

message 44: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 101 comments I heard him speak and read at book signings and I thought he did well.

message 45: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new)

Kandice | 111 comments He's a great speaker! I've heard him many times, I just don't think he's a great reader.