The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 25.10 (Melissa GA's Task - Deja Vu)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 136 (136 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments 25.10 Melissa GA's Task - Deja Vu
A. Read an original work of fiction, 100 pages or longer...

AND

B. Read a published book of 100 pages or more that is based on the first book but written by a different author. The second book may be a sequel, a prequel, a re-telling, or featuring characters from the original work.

C. When claiming points for this task, tell us whether the second author's work lives up to the original.

Examples:
- Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (original work) and Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley (sequel by a different author)
- A Nero Wolfe novel by Rex Stout (original work) and a Nero Wolfe novel by Robert Goldsborough (same character, different author)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2918 comments Does the author have to be a different author?

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Suggestions please!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2918 comments I think I found one :"The Snow Queen" by Hans Christian Anderson and "Winter's Child" Cameron Dokey

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments What a great task!

Sarah- Off the top of my head you could do Pride and Prejudice and any number of books that have spun off of it such as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife: Pride and Prejudice Continues, Mr. Darcy's Daughters etc. (just type in Darcy and you will see a ton).

I myself want to go a completely different route having been severely disappointed with anyone who has messed with Austen. LOL.

Any suggestions for me? I am going to see how I fare researching this topic! Will report back!

message 6: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) | 324 comments I just did a little digging and found:
Master of the Game by Sidney Sheldon
and Sidney Sheldon's Mistress of the Game by Tilly Bagshawe

They both sound kind of Dynasty-esque

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2918 comments You can go the fairy tale route. There are tons.

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Jayme wrote: "You can go the fairy tale route. There are tons."

I love the fairy tale route, but wouldn't the originals in that case miss the 100 page mark by a mile?

message 9: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments I'm pretty sure you could do Jane Eyre and Wide Sargasso Sea.

Also The Great Gatsby and The Double Bind.

message 10: by Cait (last edited Feb 24, 2010 07:33PM) (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Nicole wrote: "What a great task!

Sarah- Off the top of my head you could do Pride and Prejudice and any number of books that have spun off of it such as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

You could also do Lost in Austen: Create Your Own Jane Austen Adventure :o)

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments What about poetry by Walt Whitman and Specimen Days since he is a character in that?

Or Mrs. Dalloway and The Hours?

I can't use my own examples since I have read or am using for other tasks already. Sigh!

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 198 comments Wow you guys are fast!

Here are a few things I dug up while trying to decide how feasible this task is. If you are a Jane Austen or Sherlock Holmes fan, there are MANY MANY more options, but these are just some examples.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Italian Secretary

Beowulf: A New Verse Translation and Grendel (this is the pair I am going to try!)

Emma and Jane Fairfax: The Secret Story of the Second Heroine in Jane Austen's Emma

Jane Eyre and The Eyre Affair

Hamlet and Dating Hamlet: Ophelia's Story

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

Goldfinger and Silverfin

Gone With the Wind and Scarlett

Fer-de-Lance and The Bloodied Ivy

message 13: by Nicole (last edited Feb 24, 2010 07:39PM) (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments I think I am a fan of this concept and maybe that's why I have limited options (have done a lot of these on my own)! Maybe I will do Hamlet. Have not read it since high school.

I know there must be way more options since writers love to spin off from classics and well-loved books. I just have to figure out how to FIND them!

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 198 comments Jayme wrote: "Does the author have to be a different author?"

Yes, they have to be different authors. The idea is to see whether a different author can pull off 'borrowing' someone else's creation.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2918 comments Nicole wrote: "Jayme wrote: "You can go the fairy tale route. There are tons."

I love the fairy tale route, but wouldn't the originals in that case miss the 100 page mark by a mile?"

Not if you read a collection of fairy tales. I also have a version of the Snow Queen that is more than 100 pages but can you do two retellings?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2918 comments I read Scarlett. I liked it.

message 17: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 198 comments Nicole wrote: "I myself want to go a completely different route having been severely disappointed with anyone who has messed with Austen. LOL.
..."

Nicole, I feel your pain! Have you ever read Jane Fairfax: The Secret Story of the Second Heroine in Jane Austen's Emma? Of course it is not Jane, but I remember not hating it. ;-)

message 18: by Nicole (last edited Feb 24, 2010 07:46PM) (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Melissa wrote: "Nicole wrote: "I myself want to go a completely different route having been severely disappointed with anyone who has messed with Austen. LOL.
..."

Nicole, I feel your pain! Have you ever read ..."

I have not! Plus I have not read Emma in ages and I really love the humor in it. I also love Sense and Sensibility. Any spin offs on that?

I think it's more Pride and Prejudice that I need to lay off of for a while. i am on overload with it and all of its SPAWN! lol

ETA: You could not PAY me to read Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters

message 19: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Nicole wrote: "Jayme wrote: "You can go the fairy tale route. There are tons."

I love the fairy tale route, but wouldn't the originals in that case miss the 100 page mark by a mile?"

That's what I was wondering, because that would open up a trillion doors.

Here's a list of the ones I thought of so far:
The Nancy Drew Mysteries: most of these were written by different authors, all under the name "Carolyn Keene." I'm thinking of using two of these, one from the original '30s novels and one from the '80s or '90s.

You could read Lucas' A New Hope and then any of the fanfic-style novels that have been published (I read practically all of them when I was a kid; I recommend Star Wars: The Crystal Star and Star Wars: The Courtship of Princess Leia).

Novel and Graphic Novel: Plenty of novels have graphic novel versions now. This could work for Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl and the graphic novel version, or Fahrenheit 451 and its graphic novel, or Coraline and Coraline. This would be a possible route to take, assuming Melissa agrees.

Douglas Adams' famous The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Eoin Colfer's sequel, And Another Thing...

Then there's always Peter Pan and one of the spin-offs/sequels (Peter and the Starcatchers, Peter Pan in Scarlet, Capt. Hook: The Adventures of a Notorious Youth, for example).

The 39 Clues books form a mystery, and each book is written by a different author who continues the story. The Maze of Bones is the first, followed by One False Note.

These are the only ones I can come up with off the top of my head. I'm subbing in the library tomorrow (assuming it doesn't snow too much), so I'll ask one of the other librarians, see what titles she can dig up.

message 20: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments aha! Helpful site for the Austen fans:

http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/aus...

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2918 comments Nancy Drew books are a good idea especially since they have been rewritten,

message 23: by Petra (new)

Petra Melissa wrote: "Wow you guys are fast!

Here are a few things I dug up while trying to decide how feasible this task is. If you are a Jane Austen or Sherlock Holmes fan, there are MANY MANY more options, but the..."

Melissa, I read Beowulf and Grendel for a previous challenge and quite enjoyed Grendel. Beowulf was good, too, a bit boastful in the speeches but fun to read.

message 24: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 198 comments Nicole wrote: "What about poetry by Walt Whitman and Specimen Days since he is a character in that?

I can't use my own examples since I have..."

I'm going to say no to Specimen Days as this task is supposed to focus on the author's work(s), not the author himself or herself.

For The Hours, I am not sure... it sounds like it does reflect Mrs Dalloway specifically, so that would be fine, but again, the idea I am going for is to compare creations, not creators.

BTW, when I did some preliminary research, I found that putting in a character name or series name in the search often produced this type of 'spin-off' in the results.

(And Nicole, I agree the the P&P spawn has just about reached its event horizon!)

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments I think I am going to read The Scarlet Letter AND The Holder of the World

message 27: by Nicole (last edited Feb 24, 2010 08:07PM) (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Melissa wrote: "Nicole wrote: "What about poetry by Walt Whitman and Specimen Days since he is a character in that?

I can't use my own ex..."

The Hours is attempting to mimic Mrs. Dalloway structurally.

I see your point on the Walt Whitman, but did read that besides featuring Walt Whitman, it is supposed to be based on Leaves of Grass

I don't know why I am even speaking my case here since I have already read Dalloway and Hours, but having read them I can tell you they do fit the idea of your task.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2918 comments So what's the ruling on fairy tales because the original fairy tales aren't going to be 100 pages long.

message 29: by Melissa (last edited Feb 24, 2010 08:11PM) (new)

Melissa | 198 comments Having read Girl Sleuth: Nancy Drew and the Women Who Created Her for the last challenge, I will say that if you want to do Nancy, I will allow it ONLY if you compare from different Nancy Drew series. Here is a link listing the different series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...

For example, you could use The Secret of the Old Clock and Lights, Camera... but not The Hidden Staircase and The Thirteenth Pearl

And as for graphic novelizations, I would prefer the second work be done by a different author. If the original author had no input on the graphic novel (say, due to being deceased) or if the work was extensively adapted I would be willing to consider it.

message 30: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Little Women and March would work for this I think. I've had both of these pencilled in to read for the last 3 challenges. Maybe I'll get to them this next time around! :-)

message 31: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments My apologies if I'm repeating anything. For those of you who like YA, here are some more options:

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/21...
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/90...

I also forgot, last time I did a task like this I used The Picture of Dorian Gray AND Dorian: An Imitation

message 32: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 198 comments Jayme wrote: "So what's the ruling on fairy tales because the original fairy tales aren't going to be 100 pages long."

Sorry, unless the original tale is 100 pages, it is not going to work.

message 33: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Nicole wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Nicole wrote: "What about poetry by Walt Whitman and Specimen Days since he is a character in that?

I can't u..."

Woot! Mrs. Dalloway and The Hours are listed together on one of Ms Anderson's library links!

I can't decide if I want to do this or Gatsby/Double Bind. I own all four books. Maybe I should go with the former. I've yet to read anything by Wolff or Cunningham.

message 34: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 198 comments Petra wrote: "Melissa, I read Beowulf and Grendel for a previous challenge and quite enjoyed Grendel. Beowulf was good, too, a bit boastful in the speeches but fun to read.
..."

glad to hear it! I am looking forward to it!

message 35: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Cait wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Nicole wrote: "What about poetry by Walt Whitman and Specimen Days since he is a character in that?

Or Mrs. Dalloway and [book:The Hours|118..."

You have to read Mrs. Dalloway and The Hours. If only because you trust my taste and I have to say The Hours is one of the books I have loved best. That is a lot coming from someone who has over 1,000 books on her "read" shelf.

message 36: by Krista (last edited Feb 24, 2010 08:23PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) And on a lighter note, someone on the TNBBC thread linked in a post above suggested: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court paired with A Connecticut Fashionista In King Arthur's Court. I haven't read either one, but the second book sounds like a delicious way to while away an afternoon or two.

This is pretty similar to Task 25.1 from the Summer 2009 Challenge. It might be interesting to go back and see what folks read for that task if you're stumped.

message 37: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited Feb 24, 2010 08:22PM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2918 comments Can it be the same story by two different authors but not the original author?

message 38: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Nicole wrote: "Cait wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Nicole wrote: "What about poetry by Walt Whitman and Specimen Days since he is a character in that?

Or Mrs. Dalloway and [book:..."

Then it's settled! :o)

message 39: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Krista wrote: "And on a lighter note, someone on the TNBBC thread linked in a post above suggested: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court paired with [book:A Connecticut Fashionista In King A..."

I wanted to go back and check, but did we do that challenge on TNBBC or here? If it was the former, I think all of those posts were deleted. :o(

message 40: by Petra (new)

Petra Cait wrote: "I wanted to go back and check, but did we do that challenge on TNBBC or here? If it was the former, I think all of those posts were deleted. :o( ..."

Cait, I thought so, too, and searched the old threads. It's under "Recommendations, anyone?" and called Companion Books. I've bumped it up to the top for everyone to check out.

message 41: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 198 comments Jayme wrote: "Not if you read a collection of fairy tales. I also have a version of the Snow Queen that is more than 100 pages but can you do two retellings?
.."

Sorry Jayme, I missed this earlier.

I don't think a collection of fairy tales would work, but I will allow two different fairy-tale retellings as long as they are based on the same fairy tale and by different authors.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2918 comments Cool, I have that. I have a retelling of the Snow Queen and I can find another retelling.

message 43: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) I am going to do the Nero Wolfe link.

message 44: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments Devil May Care is Sebastian Faulks version of James Bond

message 45: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Melissa wrote: "Jayme wrote: "Not if you read a collection of fairy tales. I also have a version of the Snow Queen that is more than 100 pages but can you do two retellings?
.."

Sorry Jayme, I missed this ear..."

that is awesome! Thank you!!!!! I may be able to use something from the YA list that Cait posted!

message 46: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Melissa-

With your permission I will read Beastly and Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast. I can compare them both to the original when I report out. I have read many many different versions of a lot of fairy tales. I used to teach a unit on it when I was teaching Freshman Writing while I was doing my master's.

Thanks!

message 47: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments Cait wrote: "Krista wrote: "And on a lighter note, someone on the TNBBC thread linked in a post above suggested: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court paired with [book:A Connecticut Fashio..."

It was on TNBBC. I was thinking the same thing.

message 48: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyauer) | 0 comments Fire is a prequel to Graceling

message 49: by Diane (last edited Feb 25, 2010 04:21AM) (new)

Diane | 742 comments Also Rebecca and Rebecca's Tale.

I think, too, that Bridget Jones's Diary and Austenland are both modern retellings of Pride and Prejudice. I only know for sure that Austenland is, but I heard that Bridget Jones' is.

Anyone know any good retellings of Dracula or Frankenstein?

message 50: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 275 comments Diane wrote: "Also Rebecca and Rebecca's Tale.

I think, too, that Bridget Jones's Diary and Austenland are both modern retellings of [book:Pride and Preju..."

Dracula: The Un-Dead is an authorized sequel by Dacre Stoker (and Ian Holt), Bram's great-grandnephew. It was okay...I enjoyed it.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.