Delirity discussion

Dementia > Say/Ask Anything

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,773 (1773 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 35 36

message 1: by Heather (last edited Feb 24, 2010 03:19PM) (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
This section is for you to say anything you want as long as you're not soliciting or being crude.

I've decided to add it because as I sit here reading comments my Great Dane keeps trying to eat a box of mine that's filled with text books and I'm going nuts because she has chosen to ignore her training and won't leave it alone. She was a bit shocked when I actually growled at her. I think I have to stop reading werewolf books. They're rubbing off on my actions. =)

message 2: by Jasmine (last edited Feb 24, 2010 03:30PM) (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments ahah, I visited my 8th grade Earth Science teacher last year, with my friend, and he loves to joke around and make fun of me (but he's sooo nice <3 He's the besttt). So he said something to me and I growled back.
He asked my friend "Did Jasmine just growl at me?"
My friend replied by saying "Yea, she does that." XD

message 3: by Heather (new)

Haha. I now suddenly have to urge to do it to customers at my second job, or to students in my class. I've managed to keep from doing it for now. My husband hasn't been as lucky. Poor guy.

message 4: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments LOL, I growl at my mom and brother ;)
My brother got into this phase where he said "Bite Me" all the time, and it was getting really annoying, so one day he said it and I went up to him and bit him on his shoulder. He never said it again :)

message 5: by Heather (new)

Ya, I said that to someone once and that was what they did to me too. I got slobbered on in the process. He was a friend of mine in high school. I guess I need to get him back for that someday.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Since I've been home I've felt like I'm being watched. Ever time I look around the house I see my cat sitting there staring at me. He has followed me from room to room and found an odd hiding spot and then just watched me. (He's currently on the chair behind me still staring.) It's been 5 hours. After reading about a demon dog my imagination is going a little haywire. =) Just kidding, but he is starting to creep me out now.

message 7: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments ahahahahhaha, that just made my day :)

message 8: by Heather (new)

I don't want to go to work today! I'm sick and it's my anniversary. I should get spoiled today. Instead I'm putting in 15 hours. Bah.

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (wildcherry) Happy Anniversary!

message 10: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Happy Anniversary :)

So, even though my throat hurt, my voice was half gone, and I had a fever on and off throughout the day, I decided to go to school and badminton practice today. I believe I may die off sickness/tiredness. I don't know if I'll be able to force myself to go to school again tomorrow.

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (wildcherry) Jasmine-I say take the day off and read!!

message 12: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments ahaha, if I'm still sick tomorrow I probably will. But whenever I'm sick, I feel bad when I read or watch tv, because I always think "if I have enough energy for this I should've just gone to school." I'm really weird like that...but if I stay home tomorrow I will definitely read Shiver. Just for getting through this day without dying I feel like I should get a day off to read ;)

message 13: by Heather (new)

I survived. Sorta. =)
I hope you feel better Jasmine. I'm hoping I'm okay tomorrow because it's my birthday and I have plans. I might just end up sleeping instead.
I'm not sure if I'm sick or I suddenly developed allergies I never had before. I come from Cali which wasn't bad for me, but apparently here we have 27 of the 30 plants and trees most likely to cause allergies to act up in this region. Maybe I'll go get jabbed with needles some day and find out.

message 14: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments ahaha, well Happy Birthday! Allergies are really annoying. I don't have bad ones, thank god; I'm only allergic to pollen :)
and I've been sleeping, reading fanfiction and watching House all day, instead of going to school. When I get back and have to do make-up work I am going to regret staying home, but for now I'm happy I didn't force myself to go to school :)

message 15: by Heather (new)

Grr... I'm tired of working on my powerpoint of spanish and mexican art. I'd like to spend 2 days doing it, but I have to work my other job tomorrow and teach the subject on Friday.

message 16: by Jasmine (last edited Mar 24, 2010 07:16PM) (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments It's so weird hearing a teacher talk about getting annoyed at making a power point for students, lol.
As a student, it's usually me that's complaining about having to do work, not the other way around.

message 17: by Heather (new)

I actually normally enjoy making them, but most teachers complain. I'm currently not excited just because of time issues.

message 18: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I see :)
Mostly, my English teachers complain about not having enough time to grade over 60 essays, but it's kind of annoying to hear them complain about that, because they could've just NOT assigned the essays in the first place... ;)

message 19: by Heather (new)

Haha. It's kind of in the curriculum. If they don't assign certain ones they can get fired for not teaching what the state mandates.
It's like, there's much more interesting and important history I'd like to teach, but apparently you need to know what the Rev. of 1848 is. Something the book only mentions for 3 lines.
I grade everything I assign. If I expect you to do the work, I will do the work as well. I don't like completion grades because that means the assignment was busy work and busy work is pointless.

message 20: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I hate busy work! My S.S. teacher always says he would never assign busy work, but I swear, sometimes he does during class..

message 21: by Heather (new)

It also depends on the class. Some kids can't handle down time. They start doing stupid things. If kids study and pay attention less work is actually needed. If kids zone out during lessons then repetition's the only way something will sink in.

message 22: by Angela (new)

Angela B Heather wrote: "This section is for you to say anything you want as long as you're not soliciting or being crude.

I've decided to add it because as I sit here reading comments my Great Dane keeps trying to eat a ..."

I'm glad I'm not the only one that growls at my pets...

message 23: by Heather (new)

It's odd when I meow at my cats. It gets them to come and see why I'm being crazy if calling them doesn't work.

message 24: by Heather (new)

I'm going to Cali in May and I have to figure out what books to take with me. The Kindle will be great because it will cut down on volume, but you can't leave it on during take-offs and landings. Plus, it's got a shelf life battery wise.
Is it bad that I'm spending more time worrying about books than clothes?

message 25: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Heather wrote: "Is it bad that I'm spending more time worrying about books than clothes? "

lol, nope not at all! I do the same thing! And I don't have an e-reader so I end up taking A LOT of books. :)

Does anyone have an ipad? What are your feelings on it as a e-reader? It seems like a pretty good one. (: And I kind of have an infatuation with apple. . .

message 26: by Heather (new)

I'm hoping to bring back a lot of books so that's what the packing dilemma is. The more I take, the less I can shove into the suitcase to bring home.

message 27: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments ohh, when I'm on vacation I TRY not to get to many books. Sometimes I buy books, but usually I can't because I don't have room for any in my suitcase, or my mom doesn't let me buy any because she thinks I should just buy them at home.

message 28: by Angela (new)

Angela B I just traveled from Florida to Minnesota and I only brought two books but I am using my sisters library card for the reading material I need at her house. Made packing way easier!

message 29: by Heather (new)

My grandmother apparently has quite a few mysteries she's sending home with me since she found out I like to read. Like, boxes full. I don't know if any of them will be something I'm into, but it's really sweet of her to save her books for me instead of for her daughters.

message 30: by Heather (new)

Taking a CPR course online... It seems a little shoddy to me. I won't know how to actually do cpr on a real person.

message 31: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I think that summer just needs to be here already. -___-

I'm really sick of school and worrying over my upcoming World History AP test and SAT 2. ughhhh. Not to mention the fact that this kids mad at me for NO REASON. I hate high school so much. *sigh*

sorry, rant over.

message 32: by Heather (new)

High school never ends. Just because you graduate doesn't mean you get out of the drama. I thought it would all end once I got to college, but whenever you get 2 or more people together stupidity is bound to occur.

message 33: by Heather (new)

haha. the guy can't say "do not shake the baby" without giggling.

eek.. he just hit the baby!

This is so odd. I don't need infant CPR yet. They're not high school students.

message 34: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I hate when the person you like likes one of your friends.

message 35: by Heather (new)

Sorry. I remember dealing with that.

message 36: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Yea, it sucks. *sigh*

message 37: by Heather (new)

The puppies in your photo are so cute Jasmine.
If you need help with World Hist let me know. It's what I teach.

message 38: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Awwww, that sucks Jasmine. At least at your age there's a lot of switching around and some couples barely date. What am I saying, it is still like that sometimes even at my age, lol.

Does your friend know you like this person?

message 39: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Thanks Heather. :)

and yes, Carrie she knows. I wish I could tell her that I wouldn't mind her going out with him, but she doesn't know that I know he asked her out. (high school drama, gotta love it.) I really like him and all, but I'm not in love with him or anything, so I think I could handle them going out. She said no to him when he asked partly because of "girl code"/she doesn't like him that way.

It just is weird because I can't imagine him liking her. I don't want to sound mean, but out of my friends (and she's not even that close to me) she's not one I'd imagine someone realllyyy liking. Her personality gets really annoying. . .like she brags a lot about her grades and complains so it gets annoying sometimes. =/

message 40: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Heather wrote: "If you need help with World Hist let me know. It's what I teach."

Hey Heather, can I take you up on that offer to help, lol. I wasn't sure if should message you or comment here, but I decided to comment here. =]

You know how the AP is coming up? (Unless you don't teach AP. . .than forget about this question ;]) I was wondering what tips you had to study or prepare for it. Especially for the thematic and COT (change over time) essays. Those are the main things I'm worried about, because if you're basically done for if you don't know anything about what they are asking for. . .at least for the DBQ and M.C. you can BS your way through. . .I am reading through the Barron's AP World History--2008 (Barron's How to Prepare for the Ap World History Advanced Placement Examination) by John McCannon and doing practice tests during class, but I feel like I'm not preparing enough/not retaining information. What do you usually do with your class? Any tips for those essays? thanks!

message 41: by Heather (last edited May 03, 2010 08:46PM) (new)

AP Euro is the emphasis in my county. I don't think anyone has an AP World. However, I remember using that book to help me study for my licensing tests. I remember getting screwed in high school on AP US when the essay question was on Vietnam and we hadn't gotten there as a class yet. It's hard to write when you have nothing. If it had been Korea I could have BS'd using MASH as my references or something.
With change over time I'd tell you the best thing to do is cause and effect charts for things just as a quick review. And, to look at similar themes: migration, technology, politics, trade, western/eastern influences, etc. I'm sure your teacher has gone over all kinds of themes. The big thing is to not forget to talk about things that happen in the middle of the time period they've given you as well as the beginning and the end. Also, don't be afraid to mention things that may have stayed the same. But do emphasis the changes more so.

In the comparative, just be sure to actually make a direct comparison at some point. Ppl tend to forget that they're comparing somehow.

As for studying, repetition. Find out what you know 100% and quit looking at it. Go for your weaknesses and strengthen those till you know them cold. The best way for me to study for a test is to teach it to someone else. Explain it to your mom or to yourself out loud. If you can explain it, you know it. and, if you have to teach it to someone it seems to stay in your head longer than if you were just learning it off of flash cards.
Good luck and don't forget to breathe. Take suckers with you because they help you destress. (If they'll let you.) Also, blowing bubbles before hand helps you smile and relax a little. We resort to 5 year-olds when bubbles come out for some reason. If you're too stressed your brain doesn't process things right. I had a kid use a lysol wipe to clean her desk during tests because she relaxed when cleaning. It was odd, but it was the diff between an A and a C for her.

message 42: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments When I am older I am going to read Barron's AP World History--2008 (Barron's How to Prepare for the Ap World History Advanced Placement Examination) by John McCannon to my kid. If that doesn't make them fall asleep, nothing will.

message 43: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (funlovinlady) | 8 comments Ok, so my rant for the day is; "Bridge" books.

Dead in the Family, felt like it really didn't go anywhere. Just alot of start up stories, but with no conculsion.

OOOOoOOHHHHHOOOO.... I have another Rant!
People on their cell phones, in public, saying the F-word. Even if there are children near by. So tacky, saying the F would is easy, not saying it, thats a much harder task.

My new favorite word.......wait for it.......Fugly.

My teenage daughter says that it is a combination of the "F" word, and ugly. I on the other hand, just think it's funny.
So, when and if I use it, I am saying Freak'in Ugly, which equals Fugly.

message 44: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (funlovinlady) | 8 comments All this rant'in, is just plain FUGLY.
SMILE

FUGLY, FUGLY, FUGLY, my favorite word of the day.

I bet that you, (whom ever that may be) can't say FUGLY (in a conversation) at least three times today.

message 45: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments Leslie wrote: "Ok, so my rant for the day is; "Bridge" books.

Dead in the Family, felt like it really didn't go anywhere. Just alot of start up stories, but with no conculsion."

The bridge books do drive me nuts too! I do think they are a necessary evil, otherwise a normal book would reach Harry Potter lengths and get really boring.

The other option for authors would be to cut back on things and I think we would miss some of the mundane things that they slip in these books. These mundane things seem to add so much to the characters and their development.

message 46: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (funlovinlady) | 8 comments True. I know that "bridge" books are a necessary evil, I get it. I just wish that the next book would come out sooner. I hate waiting a year or more for the next story.

message 47: by Heather (new)

My trip is going well, but I haven't had a chance to get on the internet. (And I only have a few mins now.) I hope you're all doing well. I'll be back to posting by Saturday at the latest. I'm not looking forward to tomorrows 6 hour flight.

message 48: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I'm not looking forward to tomorrow either, I have my AP. (I think I win the prize for worst day tomorrow ;]).
I'm glad you're having fun on your trip! Did you get to go horse back riding already? =)

message 49: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Glad you are having a good time Heather!

Good luck on your AP Jasmine!!!!!!!

message 50: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Oh dear, my AP was. . .one of the most horrible experiences of my life. It was really hard. A lot my class thought so too so I'm hoping that it's highly curved. . .
All I can say is thank god the AP doesn't have anything to do with getting into college.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 35 36