J.D. Robb discussion

Fantasy in Death (In Death, #30)
This topic is about Fantasy in Death
In Death Books > Fantasy In Death (Spoiler Zone)

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Vicki | 47 comments Fantasy In Death is out as of yesterday.I am about half way through the book so far it is great.

message 2: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Harte (jennaharte) | 46 comments I finished the book this afternoon. I think its one of the better ones of the last few. I don't want to spoil anything, but the reflection on love and friends by Eve is interesting to process with her. The scene with Trina is funny. The big climax fight scene at the end is great and leaves Eve to think about life without Rourke. And there is mention of a baby. Of course we know that a child would signal the end of the books (according to Nora), but its fun to see the idea of it pop up.

I love the books that really bring Eve and Rourke's differences in thinking to the forefront creating conflict and a little angst between them. All the books have that a little bit (the first books have a lot of it), but this book has a little more than the last few. If you can't tell, I love it:)

Yolanda | 12 comments My daughter purchased the audio book from itunes and i loved the book and love the way susn erickson brings the characters to life. I agree with Jenna, the way the things that happen make Eve reflect on the meaning of friendships and how they work. Great book and I simplay can't wait until the next one.

Anita (honeygirl) I agree that this is one of the better books in the series, although, being a die hard trekkie? I kinda figured out who done it REEEEAALLY early on so that was no surprise for me the way they usually are...If you're a trekkie? I'm sure you figured it out too.

I was delighted to see the growth in Eve, in her coming to grips with her past and her father's part in it. He still shows up in her dreams, but he no longer has the power to HARM her in those dreams. She can now look him in the face and KNOW it's a dream and once she wakes up? He'll still be dead. Love it. And I love the growth in the Dallas/Roarke relationship, the way they can be snippy with each other without harming the relationship. And I wonder when they will realize that the person who will be the "grown up" for their future children? SOMERSET! HE is the one who will tell the kids "no Ice Cream for dinner!"

message 5: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Harte (jennaharte) | 46 comments I don't know...Somerset may be the "grandpa" in which case he might spoil the children. But he'd clearly be the go-to guy on diaper change know-how etc. Considering how they react around babies and children, I'm surprised Rourke even brings it up. He's skittish too around them.

Jess | 39 comments I didn't really like this one as much as the others. I liked the relationships aspect, and I agree that Roarke and Eve were spectacular in this one. But I was a little bored by the crime itself. I mean, the way she went into detail about the e-crime and the detail of making the game and blah blah. It wasn't all that suspenseful.

Anita (honeygirl) I KNOW RIGHT???? That drove me CRAZY. And to make it worse, I wasn't reading it I was listening to it. I had already figured out that the program was MORE than a program. Did she really have to go on and on and ON for CHAPTERS about it Geeze. Book didnt' heat up for me really till chapter 5.

But it's still a good one and I still like it better than some of the others. It's just in the re-listens I'll probably start halfway into chapter 4 and not the beginning.

Mrs. Badass (mrsbadass) | 27 comments I liked it well enough. I liked the introspective Eve. I thought she (Nora) glossed over the roarke thing (so no spoilers) at the end, should have made it worse and really explored it in depth a bit more (hossy trip?)

message 9: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Harte (jennaharte) | 46 comments I thought she (Nora) glossed over the roarke thing (so no spoilers) at the end, should have made it worse and really explored it in depth a ..." That was my favorite scene...the whole thing where they prepare for whatever comes and then things go not so great. It would have been fun to see it carried about a bit more I agree.

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Anita wrote: "I agree that this is one of the better books in the series, although, being a die hard trekkie? I kinda figured out who done it REEEEAALLY early on so that was no surprise for me the way they usually are...If you're a trekkie? I'm sure you figured it out too..."

??? I'm a HUGE Star Trek fan, and I knew exactly HOW it was done (DUH), but not who programmed the holodeck (or whatever it was called)... How did your trekkie-ness tell you WHO did it?

LOVED this one! Other than the fact that it took Eve 5x as long to figure it out than it did me. You can't tell me NO ONE involved in the case was a Star Trek fan. Feeney or McNab?

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments I loved this one as well, and really didn't figure it out fast, although I did figure it out before Eve did. Oh, and I love Star Trek as well. The holo-deck rocks!!

Karon (agmommy) | 182 comments Awesome book! There are so many tidbits that stick in my head...Eve & Roarke's fight about Sil not being on HER side of the murder board yet...that was heart-wrenching when she said "you hurt me." I about fell to pieces when Roarke squeezed her hand at the climax. If they were going to go down...by golly they were going to do it together. Also, how interesting that Eve consulted with Morris on a live patient. I thought that was kind of cool. I hope in the future books that he finds some happiness!

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 12489 comments Mod
That last fight scene with Eve and Roarke was pretty amazing. Also, I think it might have been the first time her team saw her really lose it.

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Oooh... the fight scene at the end... might have to go back and re-listen. LOVE this one!

Karon (agmommy) | 182 comments Can you imagine walking into that situation and having to get yourself out? Creepy! And to think the designer didn't think he was responsible...puh-leeeze!

Yeah, right. But I loved how Roarke and Eve rose to the occasion, instinctively knowing how to back each other up. Couldn't you just feel Eve's frustration as she was trying to find that door?

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments SO INTENSE!!!

Karon (agmommy) | 182 comments Didn't she hit that door panel with one shot? It was so intense I think I forgot! Her agony when Roarke took the hit...pulled at the heartstrings! And THEN....she watched the replay! To put herself through that...ughhhh!

message 19: by Sara ♥ (last edited Jun 22, 2012 03:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments No, she keeps shooting and shooting, trying to figure out where the heck the door panel is... EEK! (Right?)

Yes, that's what I was talking about. She found it at the same time as Roarke took the hit.

message 21: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments This was my least favorite book, but listening to you talk makes me want to reread the blasted book.

Dee, it was also one of mine, too, but these were scenes from it that I loved.

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Your VERY least favorite book? Really? It's in my top 10, for sure. Mmm... so Star Trek-esque... :) My least favorites are ANY of the ones that have to do with witchcraft... and most of the short stories.

You don't have to read the whole thing, just the last couple chapters! ;)

It was the Star Trek stuff that bogged me down (and I love Star Trek...just don't like to read it).

I also loved the scene where Roarke is working at Cop Central with Feeney's team. He's sitting at a workstation in all his elegance with Callendar and others bopping around him. Eve walks up and sees him sitting there, this billionaire who's doing this for her. He feels her looking at him, comes out and kisses her...AND SHE LETS HIM!!! Feeney comes out and tells them to get a room.

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments GREAT SCENE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heidi (heidid73) | 25 comments I just re-read this one (listened, really) and finally found the place where Roarke says "I knew you for a cop the moment I met you" to Eve...except he didn't.

"...the warning blip hadn't gone off. Not the warning blip that should have relayed cop. He'd seen a tally, willowy brunette with short, tumbled hair, eyes the color of honeycombs and a mouth made for sex."
~Naked in Death

It didn't really register the first time I read through it; it had been too long since I read the first book. But I had read it over, and couldn't for the life of me remember which book Roarke contradicted himself in. Of course, I'm not sure if he told Eve he hadn't pegged her, so maybe he's just fudging things a bit. :)

Good catch!

message 28: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary (rsolvang) Heidi wrote: "the place where Roarke says "I knew you for a cop the moment I met you" to Eve...except he didn't.

"...the warning blip hadn't gone o..."

Jonetta wrote: "Good catch!"

Heidi: I'm coming late to the game here…yes, good catch; I noticed the error right off and was bugged by it, but I have one of those brains that catch continuity errors. Glad I'm not the only one. Thanks for sharing. r.

I missed this one.

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments I caught it, too... I mean, the idea that Roarke DIDN'T see she was a cop right off was kind of (read: very) important in Naked! And I've listened to Book 1 like... 8 times in 2 years, so yeah.

I don't know why this slipped by me, maybe because this is my least favorite book in the series.

message 32: by Cathryn (new)

Cathryn Chandler (vicki_c_lee) | 16 comments I missed it too.. and it was central to the story about their relationship. Hmm..

Well, misery loves company and there seems to be quite a little group forming of those who let this MAJOR piece of errata slip by!

I remember feeling as if I was slogging through a lot of procedural data in this book that I found....boring (no tomatoes, please, from those of you who loved this book:)) and may have resorted to skimming in large part. But, it's unusual for me to skim ANY dialogue between Roarke and Eve.

Oh, well. Can't catch everything (but we try hard with this series).

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 9916 comments Mod
Wow...You know, there's probably not a more devoted, dedicated group of fans out there than fans of the In Death series, & there's probably not a more tuned in to the minute details group of fans either. We love to pick these books apart (as evidenced in our current Br's)...poor Nora - we won't let her get by with anything! lol Is there a list of "Oooops" or "Did you catch that's" on these books anywhere?

Cast List (view spoiler)

There are no spoilers in the list. It's only set up this way because of its length and for easy reference.

message 36: by Belles (last edited Jan 10, 2017 08:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Belles | 156 comments ​I love that Bart’s house droid is Princess Leia dressed in the slave bikini from Return of the Jedi! This sounds like something that some people would really do. Let’s be serious - I would totally have a Roarke house droid with an Irish accent if I could. *sighs dreamily* I pegged the Leia droid as the killer at the beginning. Eve was having such a hard time figuring out who could get in his house through the security, and who would be strong enough to decapitate a guy in one stroke. A droid already in the house would have done it. Of course, I was wrong. Thank God. I don't want the image of Leia murdering anyone other than Jabba.

I loved the scene with Eve and Roarke sword fighting in his holo room. After Eve got her bearings, Roarke doesn't hold back. It was fun to see them spar this way and not really hurt each other. And of course, it evolved into sex. Who could resist sweaty Roarke?

There were a couple personal breakthroughs for Eve in this one. She let Roarke kiss her in front of everyone at cop central. I don't know why she thinks people seeing them kiss would diminish her rep as a bad ass. Nothing could do that. The other is when the nightmare didn't evolve into the memory of worst moment of childhood. It's good to see her make progress. Oh! And how the tables were turned at the end when it was Eve who had to face prospect of life without Roarke.

I liked this book, but I get why some of you didn't. The e-babble was getting a bit annoying.