Authors Without A Yacht (AWaY) discussion

Current Events Discussion > German Court Injunction vs Rapidshare

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 685 comments Mod
As the author of this report points out, German copyright law isn't necessarily the same as American law, and there is the massive logistical problem of how Rapidshare can check for infringing content without monitoring innocent content.

In my opinion, a Report This button on every page would be a good faith answer.

Another might be some kind of algorithm (I don't know what an algorithm is) so that a spike in visits to the uploaded file from multiple different IPs might trigger a check.

message 2: by Joe (new)

Joe Vadalma (JoeVadalma) | 25 comments Mod
The onus should be on the person uploading the copyrighted material to prove that he or she has that right.

message 3: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 685 comments Mod
Joe, you are so right!!!!

I suppose, a person ought to have the right to back up their private library to DropBox or File Genie or Mozy etc.

The problem comes when they post a link to that file and allow others to download. That's why I favor an activity monitor, so that if more than 6 different ISPs access the account, the account should be automatically frozen pending investigation.

Would that be reasonable? In theory, the reader could share with a couple of friends without getting into trouble.

message 4: by Larry (new)

Larry Moniz (larrymoniz) | 57 comments Joe wrote: "The onus should be on the person uploading the copyrighted material to prove that he or she has that right."

That's how Amazon and B&N work. The problem is lack of spot checking and lack of prosecution for the pirate uploaders. With the current bills in Congress, the feds did a token international bust this week with six people (!!) arrested, but as usual, I doubt any others will be nailed.