Tess Gerritsen Fans discussion

Rizzoli & Isles Series > The Surgeon (2001)

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Mar 31, 2010 03:16PM) (new)

Dustin Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 568 comments Mod
The Surgeon (Jane Rizzoli & Maura Isles, #1) by Tess Gerritsen
The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen

I just started re-reading this today. I hope to re-read the whole series before the new book comes out this summer :-)

message 2: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Thoughts on Character Names

Dr. Catherine Cordell - this name reminds me of Dr. Elizabeth Corday on the TV Drama series, ER. Both are female surgeons.

Diana Sterling - this name is reminiscent of Clarice Starling, Silence of the Lambs.

message 3: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I'm about half-way through this book now and Maura Isles hasn't appeared yet. If I remember right, she takes over after the current medical examiner retires.

message 4: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

A little history lesson on catgut:

"Not a brand name," said Tierney. "Catgut is a type of surgical thread made from the intestines of cows or sheep."
"So why do they call it catgut?" asked Razzoli.
"It goes back to the Middle Ages, when gut strings were used on musical instruments. The musicians referred to their instruments as their kit, and the strings were called kitgut. The word eventually became catgut. In surgery, this sort of suture is used to sew together deep layers of connective tissue. The body eventually breaks down the suture material and absorbs it."
-The Surgeon, Chapter One

message 5: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

"Evil doesn't die. It never dies. It just takes on a new face, a new name. Just because we've been touched by it once, it doesn't mean we're immune to ever being hurt again. Lightning can strike twice."
-The Surgeon, Chapter Four

message 6: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

"She had lived long enough to aspirate blood into her severed trachea, to hear it gurgle in her lungs, to cough it out in explosive bursts of crimson phlegm.
She had lived long enough to know she was dying."
- The Surgeon, Chapter Two

message 7: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I had forgotten how graphic this book is - I actually had to stop and take a break - read some lighter stuff :-) I'll be back soon!

message 8: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

"Rizzoli stood eyeing the row of cake mixes and wondered how many of the boxes were infested with mealybugs. Hobb's FoodMart was that kind of grocery store - dark and musty, a real Mom and Pop establishment, if you pictured Mom and Pop as a pair of mean geezers who'd sell spoiled milk to school kids."
-The Surgeon, Chapter 25

I found this funny because I've been in "establishments" like that - mostly traveling in Wyoming :-) I refer to Wyoming as "The Land that Time Forgot" which is very similar to a cartoon dinosaur series that my kids watch.

message 9: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

"He wondered who lived there now and whether the current occupants knew the history of their house. When they turned off the lights at night and climbed into bed, did they ever think about what had happened in that very room? Lying in the darkness, did they listen for the echoes of terror still reverberating within those walls?"
-The Surgeon, Chapter 18

message 10: by Jenna, Moderator (new)

Jenna (bookworm12186) | 85 comments Mod
Looks like your having a conversation with yourself here Dustin haha. The Surgeon was very interesting, use of surgical skills, as well as, implying throughout that Capra indeed had an "apprentice" throughout his crime spree, gave it a wonderful almost subplot to the book. Putting yourself into the mind of Capra isnt tough because Tess gives us all of the tools, but trying to weasel your way into the mind of the creepy lab technician makes the game even more fun within this story. There are hints throughout where he is, who he is but noone sees it, I guess it is up to the reader to play detective as well and urge Rizzoli the right way. The description of the murders was exact, and the feeling behind all of the characters real.

I too love the history of catgut, noone really understands where it came from haha. And one of my fav quotes also is the quote from Chapter 18...."He wondered who lived there now and whether the current occupants knew the history of their house. When they turned off the lights at night and climbed into bed, did they ever think about what had happened in that very room? Lying in the darkness, did they listen for the echoes of terror still reverberating within those walls?"

I see where you would Cordey from Cordell, though the character personality I dont think really fits..do you? Cordey was british and brusque. I dont really picture Cordell this way. And Diane Sterling, hmm...once again I see where Sterling/Starling could come into play but once again chacter personality does not fit. Clarice (better as Julianne Moore) was shy in silence of the lambs but once they overhauled her, she was a strong, brusque almost artificially tough woman, who secretly had this huge intrigue into this man, this cannibal...saw a wierd symbiosis with him. Any ways, the book was delicious. And still reading the rest before Ice Cold, though I jope unlike the description Maura is not really dead. The end of Maura and Jane? Never! Ew.

message 11: by Jenna, Moderator (new)

I just created The Surgeon Quiz on here! Go take it see how it goes :) It's not terribly long or hard haha. Tried to make it medium.

message 12: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jenna wrote: "Looks like your having a conversation with yourself here Dustin haha. The Surgeon was very interesting, use of surgical skills, as well as, implying throughout that Capra indeed had an "apprentice"..."

Yeah. until you came along :-) It's just a way to voice my thoughts and favorite quotes as I'm reading.

message 13: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jenna wrote: "I see where you would Cordey from Cordell, though the character personality I dont think really fits..do you? Cordey was british and brusque. I dont really picture Cordell this way. And Diane Sterling, hmm...once again I see where Sterling/Starling could come into play but once again chacter personality does not fit. Clarice (better as Julianne Moore) was shy in silence of the lambs but once they overhauled her, she was a strong, brusque almost artificially tough woman, who secretly had this huge intrigue into this man, this cannibal...saw a wierd symbiosis with him."

I think it was just the similarities in the names that made my mind connect them. Jodie Foster is my favorite actress. I like her better than Julianne Moore as an actress but I'm not sure which was the better Clarice but it would have been better not to change the actresses don't you think - I guess Foster must not have wanted to do another one or did they not want her? I don't really know much about that situation.

message 14: by Jenna, Moderator (new)

Ahh I can see why you chose ms. Starling then lol. Jodie Foster is a cool woman, not one of my top 3 favorite actresses but a cool lady. Brave One is an amazing movie. As far as changing actresses, no I dont believe it was a bad choice. SHe makes a better more believeable Clarice simply because she has that natural twang and looks more believeable and an object of Hannibals obsession. We wouldnt have red dragon with sir Anthony if they wouldnt change actors or actresses...Red Dragon was originally made without him, but they remade it specifically because Anthony Hopkins IS Lector. Jodie fits in Contact, fits in Brave one, fits in Panic Room...just not a fit here in Silence of the Lambs or Hannibal...etc. The chemistry between Moore and Hopkins superceeds Foster.

message 15: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

It's been a while since I watched the films - maybe I need to re-watch. You mentioned Foster as being in Hannibal? was Hannibal the 2nd or 3rd. I thought Foster was only in the first one, Silence of the Lambs. I own Silence of the Lambs and The Brave One. I loved Panic Room too. I LOVE JODIE FOSTER!!!! (although that airplane one, I could do without :-)

message 16: by Jenna, Moderator (new)

Dustin Crazy wrote: "It's been a while since I watched the films - maybe I need to re-watch. You mentioned Foster as being in Hannibal? was Hannibal the 2nd or 3rd. I thought Foster was only in the first one, Silence o..."

No Foster is NOT in Hannibal, I was saying if you pictured her in Hannibal she wouldn't fit...simply because that chemistry with Anthony Hopkins is not there. With Julianne Moore the chemistry is there, and in a sadistic way they fit as a twisted couple. Im waiting for him to write another where they interact more. She cares for him in a sick way, and he loves her its obvious, plus Anthony plays him to a T...its like Angelina Jolie was Lara Croft it was written for her, so is Anthony. Plus hes my favorite male actor. lol. Hannibal was the second made with Anthony, but then Red Dragon came out and it was a prequel to Silence of the Lambs, so by year made #2 by sequencal #3. lol. Jodie is good, for me i like her cuz shes gay..not simply because, but as a lesbian myself its endearing lol. But I like Julianne Moore i must admit. lol. WHo else do you like actor/actress wise?

message 17: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jenna wrote: "Jodie is good, for me i like her cuz shes gay..not simply because, but as a lesbian myself its endearing lol. But I like Julianne Moore i must admit. lol. WHo else do you like actor/actress wise? "

Is she really lesbian? I only heard rumors nothing definite, but I don't follow pop culture much. I fell in love with Jodie Foster when she starred in the original "Freaky Friday" and have enjoyed just about everything I've seen her in (we won't mention that airplane movie). On the subject, I absolutely love Ellen Degeneres. I loved her Ellen sitcoms (both of them) and I love her afternoon show (not that I'm ever able to watch it) I'm also glad she's a judge on American Idol now and I enjoyed reading her book "The Funny Thing Is..." I think it was. She's so amazing - so funny and such a positive attitude. I can't get enough of Ellen. I've never been a big Oprah fan but Ellen.... can't get enough of her. I don't have a lot of favorite actresses and even less favorite actors :-) I don't watch a whole lot of movies, but I'm really loving the actress who plays Olivia Dunham on Fringe. She's amazing too!

message 18: by Jenna, Moderator (new)

Dustin Crazy wrote: "Jenna wrote: "Jodie is good, for me i like her cuz shes gay..not simply because, but as a lesbian myself its endearing lol. But I like Julianne Moore i must admit. lol. WHo else do you like actor/a..."

She is definitely a lesbian, and has been out for a while lol. Believe me i keep up on this stuff haha. Your silly, love of Jodie. Such a silly boy. I dont do crushes on tv or movie stars. lol. But i have a deep resect for my favs..love anthony hopkins, julianne moore, demi moore, gerard butler sometimes, angelina jolie, meryl streep...etc. oh and shannon sossman. BEcause shes an amazing artist and used to be in a band i love called warpaint. I love ellen too, shes hilarious. I also like olivia on Fringe, shes cool! She should branch out!

message 19: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jenna wrote: "I also like olivia on Fringe, shes cool! She should branch out! "

I've been wondering what roles she played before Fringe.

message 20: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Another person I like was the actress that played Dharma on the TV series Dharma & Greg. I think her name was Elfman or something like that.

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura (filoviridae) | 24 comments Dustin Crazy wrote: "Another person I like was the actress that played Dharma on the TV series Dharma & Greg. I think her name was Elfman or something like that."

Jenna Elfman

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura (filoviridae) | 24 comments Dustin Crazy wrote: "It's been a while since I watched the films - maybe I need to re-watch. You mentioned Foster as being in Hannibal? was Hannibal the 2nd or 3rd. I thought Foster was only in the first one, Silence o..."

Manhunter was the original movie version of Red Dragon but Anthony Hopkins was not in it.
The Silence of the Lambs was made about five years later and the popularity of it propelled the remake of Red Dragon with Anthony Hopkins reprising his role as Hannibal Lecter.

I read Hannibal and hated it with a passion so I refuse to watch the movie or follow further with Hannibal Rising.

message 23: by Jenna, Moderator (new)

Dustin Crazy wrote: "Another person I like was the actress that played Dharma on the TV series Dharma & Greg. I think her name was Elfman or something like that."

My namesake..Jenna Elfman..lol. She was good as Dharma..bout all i can picture her as shes ok. Im a Buffy girl myself (the show not character), and I like Marishka HArgitay from SVU.

message 24: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Jenna wrote: "My namesake..Jenna Elfman..lol...."

My namesake is Dustin Hoffman :-)

message 25: by Jenna, Moderator (new)

i like yours better.

message 26: by Curlyhair (new)

Curlyhair | 20 comments Just finished this a little while ago. I did enjoy it, although was disappointed Isles wasn't in it. I have read The Keepsake and liked both characters - hense I started right at the beginning.
Amanda

message 27: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Dustin Crazy wrote: "Jenna wrote: "I see where you would Cordey from Cordell, though the character personality I dont think really fits..do you? Cordey was british and brusque. I dont really picture Cordell this way. A..."

She didn't want to do the next one, Jodie Foster. They offered her an ungodly amount of money and she said she didn't want to. I heard it was something about not feeling real. I guess Silence of the Lambs could be real but maybe cutting off the top of someones head while they are having dinner and feeding them part of their brain, not so much.

message 28: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Interesting - I love Jodie Foster! :-)

message 29: by Tracy (new)

Tracy I like Jodie Foster to. Not one of my top actress but I like her.