Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Recommendations > YA Audiobooks

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Thought I would start a thread about YA audiobooks, since that is how I "read" about 1/3rd of my books and I am always looking for new recommendations.
Here are a list of my all time favorite YA audiobooks.
1. The entire Harry Potter series
2. Princess Diaries series (especially the first few read by Anne Hathaway)
3. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series
4. Book Thief
5. Ella Enchanted
Anyone else have any recommendations?

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) Question about audiobooks and the library: When you check out the CD's for the audiobook, can you download them to iTunes or are they protected? The only CD player I have is in my car but I take my iPod with me everywhere.

message 3: by Cathy (last edited Feb 24, 2010 01:16PM) (new)

Cathy  (cathygreytfriend) I've been listening to Cassandra Clare's trilogy for months now (I'm a slow listener, but a fast reader): City of Bones, City of Ashes and City of Glass. The reader changes for the 2nd book, but once I gave it a chance it didn't bother me, their voices are actually quite similar. It's a great series to listen to because she uses a lot of very vivid descriptions.

I also listened to Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy years ago in a fantastic production with a full cast. It was better than the movie!

Shannen: I actually get most of my audios from the library, but I'm so slow that I could never finish them in time, plus I use an iPod too. I'm sure it's illegal to copy the CDs, but I admit that I do it. I always delete the books as soon as I'm finished with them and never give them to anyone else. Rationalized stealing? Anyway, I have a Mac and I use a program called Audiobook Builder to consolidate the CDs into an iPod formatted book. That way they appear in the audiobooks section of the iPod and I don't have to try to keep track of where I am on the CDs. I'm sure there is a PC equivalent if that's what you have.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Shannen wrote: "Question about audiobooks and the library: When you check out the CD's for the audiobook, can you download them to iTunes or are they protected? The only CD player I have is in my car but I take..."

You can download them onto your computer- I do all the time. Especially when I need to return them. Also - check with your library to see if they belong to any online audiobook programs where you can download them directly to your computer. If they have a website it will probably be listed there - or ask next time you are in. I download tons of them. I also have a fm transmitter for my car so I can listen to mp3's in the car.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Cathy (greytfriend) wrote: "I've been listening to Cassandra Clare's trilogy for months now (I'm a slow listener, but a fast reader): City of Bones, City of Ashes and City of Glass. The reader changes for the 2nd book, but on..."

Cathy - I don't think it is illegal if it is for your own personal use and you don't intend to sell it or anything - especially if you delete it right after you listen to them :)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Cathy (greytfriend) wrote: "I've been listening to Cassandra Clare's trilogy for months now (I'm a slow listener, but a fast reader): City of Bones, City of Ashes and City of Glass. The reader changes for the 2nd book, but on..."

Perhaps I should have listened to City of Bones because reading it made me pick out too many grammatical errors and I gave up. That is what I did with the Twilight series. I couldn't read it - all the mistakes kept popping out at me driving me nuts, but the audio was bearable.

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) Thanks for "The Help". Hehe! I might have to stop by the library on my way home tonight. :)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Heidi wrote: "Cathy (greytfriend) wrote: "I've been listening to Cassandra Clare's trilogy for months now (I'm a slow listener, but a fast reader): City of Bones, City of Ashes and City of Glass. The reader chan..."

I also think I will try His Dark Materials on audio - they have The Golden Compass on CD at my library - that is the first one, right??

Peep (Pop! Pop!) LOL @ Shannen!!

I have downloaded cd's that needed to go back, and deleted them when I was done with them.

I checked the larger library and they do have The Girl Who Played with Fire on audio that I can download. It's checked out now but I am on the reserve list.

My state has it so you can join any library in the state for free. I try to join them when I travel, so I can use their online resources. Of course, it'd be more effective if I ever got around to leaving my town....

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Peep wrote: "LOL @ Shannen!!

I have downloaded cd's that needed to go back, and deleted them when I was done with them.

I checked the larger library and they do have The Girl Who Played with Fire on audio tha..."

Peep wrote: "LOL @ Shannen!!

I checked the larger library and they do have The Girl Who Played with Fire on audio tha..."

Oh - I am jealous! I can only use libraries in the "alliance". My library also won't get "av" materials from other libraries for me, so unless I want to drive all around to libraries to pick them up, getting audio books from other libraries is out. Luckily with the online audio and the two libraries in my town, I have found a ton of them. p.s. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is the first book in that series -- just to warn you if you listen to that one, it is slow at first. Girl Who Played with Fire is the second book, but it starts much faster and it excellent so far (I'm on disk 13 of 15). If you don't want to read the first one, let me know and I can give you a quick synopsis.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Shannen wrote: "Thanks for "The Help". Hehe! I might have to stop by the library on my way home tonight. :)"

Nice!

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) Checked my library online and they list it as an audiobook they have but it says it's not available yet. So I put a hold on it for whenever they get it in. :)

message 13: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I'll take the quick sypnosis, lol. One less book to have to squeeze in!

As for libraries. I usually go to the public on in my town and to the University one the next town over.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Two more YA audio books that I liked are actually read by the authors. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian and The Graveyard Book. Both authors are excellent narrators, but Neil Gaiman is the best of the two. I didn't even get 100% into Graveyard Book, but could listen to Neil talk all day. I think you can find clips of him reading online.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Peep wrote: "I'll take the quick sypnosis, lol. One less book to have to squeeze in!

As for libraries. I usually go to the public on in my town and to the University one the next town over."

I emailed you a synopsis :)

message 16: by Annie (new)

Annie Oosterwyk One book I particularly loved to hear out loud (Australian accents are so fabulous) was One Whole and Perfect Day by Judith Clarke. You have to promote a book that makes you WANT to commute. We need milk? I'm on it.
Heidi, I also am a Neil Gaiman fan and love his reading of The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish. Silly.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Annie wrote: "One book I particularly loved to hear out loud (Australian accents are so fabulous) was One Whole and Perfect Day by Judith Clarke. You have to promote a book that makes you WANT to commute. We n..."

Drat...I couldn't find that Judith Clarke book on audio at any of the four places my library offers! I did find the Neil Gaiman book you mentioned - I'll give it a try. Thanks :)

message 18: by Annie (new)

Annie Oosterwyk Heidi wrote: "Annie wrote: "One book I particularly loved to hear out loud (Australian accents are so fabulous) was One Whole and Perfect Day by Judith Clarke. You have to promote a book that makes you WANT to ..."

Just so you won't be disappointed, it is actually a picture book. The Wolves in the Walls is another one.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Annie wrote: "Heidi wrote: "Annie wrote: "One book I particularly loved to hear out loud (Australian accents are so fabulous) was One Whole and Perfect Day by Judith Clarke. You have to promote a book that make..."

The audiobook my library has includes four Neil Gaiman stories - including The Wovles in the Walls. Can't wait. Thanks again :)

message 20: by CaliGirlRae (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 7 comments I just finished, The Iron King and the two Wondrous Strange novels which were read by the author herself. I highly recommend them. I'm looking for more YA Fae themed audio books. If anyone has any recommendations I'd love to grab more.

message 21: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I haven't heard Neil narrate a book yet, but I added my name to the hold list at the library for the four story collection as well. I can't wait to hear it! I'd forgotten that that a few years ago I listened to All Over but the Shoutin' read by the author, Rock Bragg, and loved it. It was on of my favorite books for a while. His voice just really brought the story to life. Anwyho, my point is that I love when authors have the voice that makes their stories even better.

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) I might try The Book Thief on audiobook. I know you all have raved about the book and I'm just not that excited to read it. :O Gotta check my library to see if they have the audiobook so I can download to my iPod or Kindle.

P.S. Apparently I already asked the library CD download question. Oops!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Yes!! Shannen -- you must get it. Just to warn you - the first 15 minutes are weird because death is the narrator, but stick with it! Once you get used to him you will love his silky voice. p.s. you were not 100% about reading The Help or Hunger Games - and you loved those too!

message 24: by Laura Beth (new)

Laura Beth (tampabookworm) | 229 comments I have requested The Book Thief audio version from the library. My first audio!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Laura wrote: "I have requested The Book Thief audio version from the library. My first audio!"

Yeah! Like I just told Shannen, the first 15 min or so are strange because it is Death talking (literately), but stick with it - I promise! You will love Rudy (aka Jesse Owens), just as much as I do.

message 26: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) Team Rudy!

message 27: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Make sure you get one of the books that won an audie award! Shows you how reading is supposed to be done!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Sheila wrote: "Team Rudy!"

Yes! Team Rudy. I think we can all agree on that one.

message 29: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) Finally! tehe

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments It must be true that we can all agree on something, because I also love Rudy and I still have 200 pages to go. He's awesome even if he is a blonde.

I agree Sheila, it is about time. Don't worry though, I'm sure the peace won't last long. It never does.

message 31: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I'm getting teared up just thinking about the book now. I really am glad that I finished it.

Isn't Max awesome too? I just want to hug him.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Totally agree Peep - Max and Rudy (and Hans) are such great men. And the women are so strong. I love that you feel like you know each character by the end -- even the Mayor's wife.