Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Dramas > The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 254 comments This movie I can not wait for! Heath Ledger's last film :( Johnny Depp, Collin Farrell, Jude Law, and Scarlet Johanson, I think its going to be a great movie... I miss heath Ledger. Heath this is for you! :'(

message 2: by Phillip (last edited Feb 24, 2010 09:28AM) (new)

Phillip | 10546 comments i liked this one a lot, despite the various problems it has (as it often happens with gilliam). scarlet johansen isn't in it though...

i look forward to hearing your thoughts on it. if you can catch it on the big screen before it leaves the theaters, i think you'll enjoy it more than if you see it on television...it's a film you want to see on the big screen.

message 3: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 254 comments Wait has it come out yet? If it has I havent seen it.. but I really like it... I can't wait to see Johnny Depp and Collin Farrel take on the role as Heath Ledger.

message 4: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10546 comments it's been out for a month or so...

message 5: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 254 comments oooh Ok I gotta go see this movie... :)

message 6: by Phillip (last edited Feb 26, 2010 09:48PM) (new)

Phillip | 10546 comments check it out!

i think gilliam got a best director nomination from the academy for it (which was way overdo).

message 7: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5336 comments Gilliam hasn't gotten an Oscar nomination since his screenplay nomination for BRAZIL.

message 8: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10546 comments someone told me a few days ago that he was nominated for imaginarium....is that true?

message 9: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5336 comments The film got a couple of nominations, but I don't think he got one, certainly not for Best Director.

message 10: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10546 comments it would really surprise me if he did. i liked the movie, but...

message 11: by Maryanne (new)

Maryanne Raphael (MaryanneRaphael) | 250 comments Just watched An American in Paris. I loved it 20 years ago and found it just as much fun today.
Gene Kelly is always great. Maryanne

message 12: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10546 comments hmmm, american in paris and imaginarium of doctor parnassus. i'm not seeing the connection.

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 465 comments Me too. Movie was nice, but somehow it didn't shake me great.

message 14: by Geoffrey (last edited Jul 18, 2010 02:25PM) (new)

Geoffrey | 209 comments I had a lot of problems with this movie. As always,with Gilliam`s active imagination at work there that makes for a delightful story, but somehow I just did not like the script all that much. And I didn`t understand why the director had to substitute actors for the same character in different scenes. I found that tiresome.
I was impressed by what happened in the imaginarum, particularly the scene with the woman at the mall who advances into an imaginarum scene with flying high heels. Somehow some of the other scenes in which darker evil forces dominate displayed a directorial mode at odds with the spirit of the place. The scene in which the devil takes the shape of a python rising out of the River Styx was hokey visuals at best. It was just chintzy artwork.
The characterizations as always in Gilliams films left me indifferent. The devil is not as sinister as I would have liked, the hero not much more than a wimp. Nor did I particularly like the heroine. I did not have strong feelings towards any of the characters, similar to the problem I had with BRAZIL.

message 15: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 254 comments I loved It and would so see it again.

message 16: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta I enjoyed the movie, but would agree with Geoffrey (above) on the python scene. That could have been done better.

I liked all of the actors. In fact, I rented "Boy A" after seeing this because Andrew Garfield (played Anton) was in it.

Loved the story.

message 17: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10546 comments geoffrey,

the multiple actor thing happened because heath ledger died in the middle of production. i suppose he could just assigned one actor to take over his part (but i can't imagine how good this film would have been if ledger had lived to complete it), but given the problem he had to solve (where's heath?), i think the multiple actor thing added to the way that our perceptions of the character changed as the film developed.

message 18: by Geoffrey (last edited Jul 19, 2010 11:49AM) (new)

Geoffrey | 209 comments Yes, I understand that is what happened. I found it confusing as I did not realize I was watching Heath Ledger.
I would have reshot it. Let insurance pay for the cost of redoing the film. They do insure films in the event of incapacitation, don´t they?
Again, I find Gilliam´s flics a bit short of strong characterization. He´s in a mighty tradition of fantasy/magical realism as per Tim Burton, Guillaume Toro and Jeunot, but of the four, he is the only one that leaves me with an empty feeling. Imagination, yes. He´s incredible, but the characters are so flat and unappetizing that I fail to understand his popularity.

message 19: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5336 comments Well, I wouldn't have minded seeing another actor other than Ledger in the role, as I think the only two actively bad performances I've seen from Ledger have been in Gilliam films -- Ledger's really painfully bad work in THE BROTHERS GRIMM and his unfortunately Joker-inflected work in PARNASSUS. But I doubt that they were very happy about the prospect of completely re-shooting the film, and Ledger is so beloved that they probably wanted to preserve as much as possible of his Last Performance.

As for Gilliam's characterizations, well, they work for me. John Neville's imperishable Baron Munchausen is a marvelous creation, and BRAZIL in particular is filled with brilliant performances from Jonathan Pryce, Michael Palin, Katherine Helmond, De Niro, Ian Holm, Bob Hoskins. Likewise Bruce Willis and Madeline Stowe in TWELVE MONKEYS, and most of the TIME BANDITS themselves, and I always find myself delighting in Depp and Benicio Del Toro in FEAR AND LOATHING.

Of course, tastes will differ. I'd say that Del Toro and Jeunot are the ones who leave me feeling empty, very empty indeed, especially Jeunot, whose DELICATESSEN comes off like a really shameless Gilliam knockoff. As for Del Toro, well. Some of the best movie news of recent decades came when he departed the projected film of THE HOBBIT.

message 20: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 209 comments And I thought DELICATESSEN delightfully charming and witty, but the real classic was THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN. There are so many layers to that film that every time I watch it, I notice 10 new things.

message 21: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audrey_g) | 18 comments I'm finally going to see this movie now that it's out on DVD. These comments have peaked my interest further...

message 22: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10546 comments let us know what you thought of it!

message 23: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audrey_g) | 18 comments OK! I loved the trailer, too.