Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Dramas > The Devil Wears Prada

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 254 comments This movie is really good. I love the actor who plays Neil, and Meryl Streep has such a different role than Julie and Julia... I love her acting. It's outstanding. What did you think of it.

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) It's witty and very well acted. I'd heard it wasn't too good, so I wasn't expecting to like it so much, but I loved it. I'm pretty much convinced Meryl Streep can do anything.

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments I enjoyed it but liked the book better - it had more bite to it

message 4: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 209 comments Even Meryl has her limitations. She couldn´t pull off the heavy in that Irish movie she made about 10 years ago. Nor was she good in PLENTY, a real stinker of a movie, but she is batting way above .950., which at that rate even beats out Hepburn and Davis in my estimation.
I was particularly struck by Hathaway´s acting as it was so seamless. All I could think while watching her IS THIS WOMAN ACTING HERSELF or is she really that good?

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) I have the DVD of DANCING AT LUNGHASA, but I've yet to watch it.

Anne Hathaway is developing into a really first rate actress.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel i love meryl streep and i adore anne hathaway, but i wasn't overwhelmed by this movie. and it doesn't take much to make me love a cheesy chick flick. just okay for me.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel that being said, my mother is obsessed with it and she is the biggest movie snob i know.... so maybe i'm wrong. :)

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) I wasn't overwhelmed with THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA, but I enjoyed it. I didn't find it as bad as most of the critics made it out to be. In fact, I didn't find it bad at all. I didn't think it was a comedy classic, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

message 9: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 209 comments DANCING AT LUNGHASA is the name of the flic that Streep fell apart on. She played a repressed, overbearingly autocratic matriarch, or at least that was what she was supposed to be. Oh well. Surprised that Gabrielle never saw it. Don´t you live in Ireland?

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) No, I don't live in Ireland. In fact, I've never even been in Ireland, though I lived for many years in Europe.

I have that DVD, just haven't watched it yet.

message 11: by Ivan (last edited Mar 03, 2010 03:54AM) (new)

Ivan Geoffrey wrote: "DANCING AT LUNGHASA is the name of the flic that Streep fell apart on. She played a repressed, overbearingly autocratic matriarch, or at least that was what she was supposed to be. Oh well. Surpris..."

I'm just wondering if having a name player - in this case Streep - was the only way to get that particular project funded. I didn't love the film.

I did enjoy "Prada" very much. It was over-the-top in spots. The cast was very good - especially Streep and Tucci (but than I'm in love with Tucci).

message 12: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 209 comments Interesting point there about the possibility of Streep´s presence making the flic possible. I have always had questions about Nicholas Cage´s career and have wondered whether his presence has been instrumental in getting his uncle on board projects.

message 13: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 469 comments I thought this was going to be a chick flick so I avoided it.

Much to my surprise, when I finally did see it, I liked it. Not my fav movie, but I liked seeing Streep and Tucci acting together.