Love Inspired Books discussion

The Story Behind Heartland Wedding by Renee Ryan

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Love Inspired (new)

Love Inspired Books (loveinspiredbooks) | 1035 comments Mod
First off, I should explain that HEARTLAND WEDDING is the second book in the Love Inspired Historical series, AFTER THE STORM: The Founding Years. It is also my first attempt at writing a book within a publisher generated continuity series.

I don’t mind admitting that when I was asked to write this book I fretted over the daunting prospect of working with two other authors I’d never met before. Not only was I the new kid on the block, but each woman was a highly talented, award-winning author in her own right. I felt way out of my league. Turns out, I had nothing to worry about. Valerie Hansen (author of Book 1, HIGH PLAINS BRIDE) and Victoria Bylin (author of Book 3, KANSAS COURTSHIP) were incredibly gracious with this newbie. They were both professional, talented, generous, patient authors who made the entire process of working with them a real joy!

When I found out my heroine was a Norwegian immigrant I knew I was going to be able to make this story my own.

No, I’m not Norwegian. But my darling husband is, all the way down to his blond hair, blue eyes and Nordic good looks. Every time he mentions a new adventure that involves a cross-country trek I find myself thinking about his Viking ancestors and wonder just how far he’s willing to travel without a bathroom stop. I must point out, however, that unlike his pillaging and plundering ancestors, my husband grew up in a Christian home under the guidance of loving, godly parents who taught him good values and a strong work ethic.

But I digress. Rebecca, the heroine of HEARTLAND WEDDING, is also the cook at the local boarding house in High Plains, KS. Since I knew how much my husband enjoyed the hearty dishes from the “old country,” I took it upon myself to make a few of the easier recipes in my own kitchen. An added benefit to this culinary undertaking was a newfound appreciation for my mother-in-law, Dee.

Because of distance, Dee was unable to guide me personally through the cooking process. However, she was gracious enough to send her most treasured recipes to me. I was determined to do each and every one of them justice. Unfortunately, I managed to fail more often than not. I will never master Kumla, one of my husband’s favorites, and a very difficult dish to make. I bow to Dee’s expertise on that one.

I still continue to attempt some of the easier recipes, with questionable success. But now I feel much more connected with my in-laws. A win-win.

~Renee~
www.reneeryan.com Heartland Wedding (Love Inspired Historical) by Renee Ryan

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrie) | 253 comments Got the book. Great blog!

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 434 comments I've got the book too! Almost done with the first one in this series.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 434 comments I loved the Contemporary series, so I'm sure this one will be great too! Finished the first one today...now on to your book. :D

message 5: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 34 comments Love Inspired wrote: "First off, I should explain that HEARTLAND WEDDING is the second book in the Love Inspired Historical series, AFTER THE STORM: The Founding Years. It is also my first attempt at writing a book wit..."

Renee, I'm tickled to share the February Love Inspired Historical shelves with you. Your book sounds wonderful! Can't wait to read it!

message 6: by Love Inspired (new)

Janet, it's so great to have so many good books in one month. :)

message 7: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 517 comments There are toooooooooooooooooo many good books each month! I just cant keep up.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 434 comments Ausjenny wrote: "There are toooooooooooooooooo many good books each month! I just cant keep up."

agreed!

message 9: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrie) | 253 comments Jennifer wrote: "Ausjenny wrote: "There are toooooooooooooooooo many good books each month! I just cant keep up."

agreed!"

Second that !

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 434 comments Renee wrote: "Janet,

Just finished Substitute Bride. LOVELY story. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

And, I'm with the rest of you. Looooooooooooots of great books every month. I need more hours in the day!!!
..."

I'm starting on your book and Janet's book now! So excited to read both!

message 11: by Love Inspired (new)

Definitely on the more hours!! I can't find enough time to read everything I want.

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie (southernbookworm) | 2 comments Loved the contemporary series. Don't normally care for historicals, but enjoyed the first one, so looking forward to this one, as well as Kansas Courtship.

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 434 comments Julie wrote: "Loved the contemporary series. Don't normally care for historicals, but enjoyed the first one, so looking forward to this one, as well as Kansas Courtship."

It's good. I liked it as much as the contemporary.

message 14: by Joy (new)

Joy looking forward to reading it. I just got Kansas Courtship in the mail and still waiting on High Plains Bride so I can start with it first. :)