Dan Simmons Fans discussion

Black Hills out today

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 60 comments Mod
Black Hills out today! Can't wait to pick it up during lunch. I am still reading Carrion Comfort so I won't be able to start my journey though the Black hills yet. But looking forward to getting it on the shelf to read none-the-less.

message 2: by Greg (new)

Greg | 55 comments I downloaded the unabridged audio book of BLACK HILLS from AUDIBLE yesterday and am enjoying it now, probably about 60 pages in so far. It is, as expected, top notch writing and adventure. I am waiting to receive my signed hardcover after Simmons does a few tour dates.

CARRION COMFORT is my favorite Simmons novel,, is this your first read?

Greg

message 3: by Matthew (new)

Greg wrote: "CARRION COMFORT is my favorite Simmons novel,, is this your first read?"

Yes it is. I am loving it!

Good to hear you are liking Black Hills. I can't wait to start it. Who is the narrator for the audio book? Anyone recognizable?

message 4: by Greg (new)

Greg | 55 comments There are two narrators, Erik Davies & Michael McConnohie and if they are recognizable, I don't know them. :-)

You can listen to a sample on the Amazon website right below the picture of the cover, click here:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Hills-Nov...

Greg

message 5: by Garry (new)

Garry (garryghb) | 2 comments Hi Greg. I'm a Simmons fan and collector. Have much of his stuff signed and in a nice spot in my library. If you hear of tour dates or opps. to get signed books, sometimes from the book stores hosting, let us know.

message 6: by Greg (new)

Greg | 55 comments Garry,

The announced tour dates are...

Tuesday March 2 at 7pm 
BOOK PEOPLE
603 North Lamar
Austin, TX  78703

Wednesday March 3 at 7pm
POISONED PEN BOOKSTORE
4014 North Goldwater Street
Scottsdale, AZ

Thursday March 4 at 7pm
MYSTERIOUS GALAXY
7051 Clairemont Mesa Boulevard
San Diego, CA

Friday March 5 at 7pm
UNIVERSITY BOOKSTORE
4326 University Way, NorthEast
Seattle, WA  98105

Saturday March 6 at 6:30pm
TATTERED COVER BOOKSTORE
2526 East Colfax Avenue
Denver, CO  80202

Sunday March 7 at 2pm
BORDERS BOOKS AND MUSIC #101
2817 North Clark Street
Chicago, IL  60657

Monday March 8 at 4pm
UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA BOOKSTORE
Coffman Memorial Union
300 Washington Avenue, SE
Minneapolis, MN. 55455

Sadly, these could all be in jeopardy from what Dan Simmons posted yesterday on his forum--

"I've been in the hospital today for kidney stone problems and my entire book tour slated to start next Tuesday -- a signing tour that I do look forward to -- is currently teetering on the results of some MRIs and CT-scans taken before dawn this morning. I hate it."
--Dan Simmons

Greg

message 7: by Garry (new)

Garry (garryghb) | 2 comments Oh, no. That would be too bad. Luckily kidney stones are painful, but not fatal and he should be back in action in a short time. I'll check his site to see what's up with the tour. Since I won't be able to get to one of the signings, I'll check with one of the venues to see if I can buy a signed copy directly from there.
Thanks for the info,
garry

message 8: by Matthew (new)

Hope Dan feels better...

message 9: by Greg (new)

Greg | 55 comments For those interested, Dan has just left a new message on his website detailing the changes in his upcoming tour schedule...

http://forum.dansimmons.com/ubbthread...

Greg

message 10: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (gcbookworm) Just read Hard Case, Hard Freeze and Hard as Nails. Awesome books, Joe Kurtz is bad ass. Starting Black Hills today, hope it's good. Have any of you finished it yet?

message 11: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (gcbookworm) Finished Black Hills finally....I liked it better than Drood but that's not saying much. I did like it when Paha Sapa starts having real dialogue with Long Hair rather than just listening to his Libby babble.

message 12: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 41 comments Does no one ever post in this group? I've been waiting, and eager, to discuss Black Hills, but other than a few private letters, I've seen no discussion of the book (other than Aaron above)

And Aaron - The one thing I disliked about Black Hills WAS having Custer's ghost in Paha Sapa. There was no need for this digression. Paha Sapa's story was more moving and more than enough for the book - Simmons didn't NEED Custer, or his widow at all!

message 13: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (gcbookworm) I thought having Custer's "ghost-spirit" was the mysterious factor in the story that kept you lingering as to what was going to happen. Obviously there was absolutely no suspense on whether or not Paha Sapa was going to destroy Mount Rushmore...

message 14: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 41 comments Oh, I don't know Aaron -- there's a fantastic book out by another author whose main character (also an Indian) does indeed manage to destroy Mount Rushmore!! (YAY!!)

message 15: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (gcbookworm) LOL! Sioux FTW!

message 16: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 41 comments The book I'm talking about is by David Lozell Martin -- and you SHOULD read it!! (As much as I love Simmons - Martin's book was so much more satisfying, but at the same time, I think Paha Sapa was one of the very best characters I've ever encountered.

message 17: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (gcbookworm) I am reading Prayers to Broken Stones right now but I just reserved Facing Rushmore from the library.

message 18: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 41 comments Great!! I LOVE "Prayers to Broken Stones" - one of my Simmon's faves.

message 19: by Matthew (new)

Didn't even know Black Hills came out in paperback. I like the new cover: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Hills-Nov...

message 20: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 26 comments I found this book to be disappointing. Tended to ramble on and on without any real advancement of the story. Felt more like a history lesson. Ending was rather anti-climactic. Not my favorite Simmons.

message 21: by Matthew (new)

Gatorman wrote: "I found this book to be disappointing. Tended to ramble on and on without any real advancement of the story. Felt more like a history lesson. Ending was rather anti-climactic. Not my favorite S..."

Gatorman, I know what you mean. At first this wasn't my favorite Simmons. But upon reflection, I like it more and more (especially the ending coincidentally). I think I need to read it again to fully appreciate it.

message 22: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 26 comments Maybe. I found myself skimming through pages just to get through all the historical descriptions that seemed to go on forever. I never do this in a Simmons book.

message 23: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 41 comments Gatorman, please, please read "The Terror" -- In spite of loving his sci-fi and horror, I still think this is the best Simmons around. It's absolutely breathtaking, and most of it's based on fact.

message 24: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 26 comments Bondama wrote: "Gatorman, please, please read "The Terror" -- In spite of loving his sci-fi and horror, I still think this is the best Simmons around. It's absolutely breathtaking, and most of it's based on fact."

I did read The Terror, it was my first Simmons. I loved it and got me hooked on his other books. My favorite is probably Carrion Comfort.

message 25: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (kerensa) | 41 comments Yes, "Carrion Comfort" is listed among my big=time favorites. I read it when it first came out, for the first time, twice since. But about ten years ago, when I was living in Ireland, I fell in love with a ballad about Lord Franklin, so "The Terror" has a very special place in my book list.

message 26: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Hi, Bondama-

I am definitely interested in reading more of Dan Simmons' work!:)