Authors Without A Yacht (AWaY) discussion

Authors Ask Readers' Opinions > Do we have "a Civil Right" to read novels without paying?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rowena, Group Owner (last edited Feb 25, 2010 03:15AM) (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 685 comments Mod
Presumably it was a pirate who suggested that copyright infringes on his civil right to read anything he wishes, at his convenience, without paying.

Part of my response was

I don't think you have a "civil right" to read a novel or listen to a tune. I think ebook pirates show profound disrespect for the civil rights movement if/when they suggest such a comparison.

A lot of people seem to believe that paying for the technology (a computer, a scanner, a printer, a Kindle, a CD) entitles them to everything that is available without further charge. Like, you've paid the entry fee to Disneyland, and now all the rides and everything on the vendors' stands ought to be free for the taking.

I'm comparing a blank CD to the entry fee to an amusement park.

Imagine what the entry fee would be, if your entry fee included compensation to every ride owner, every sideshow, every icecream vendor for the possibility that you might have the time, energy and desire to consume everything you possibly could.

You can quickly see that this is not a fair or sustainable model.

What do you think?

message 2: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 24 comments Mod
Huge dittos on that, Saranna!

message 3: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 685 comments Mod
Library cards are for tax paying residents of a community, right? And, if you lose your library card, you have to pay for a replacement.

message 4: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 24 comments Mod
Here in Houston, you have to prove residence to get a library card and yes, pay if you lose it.

message 5: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 54 comments Mod
I don't know what's wrong with these people. I think a huge part of the problem is that our legal system is working in such a way that everyone with some sort of an excuse will get his way, no matter how lame, because there will always be some retard of a lawyer who will take his case and sue the hell out of it.

If people are too stupid to drink their coffee it's their problem, not McDonald's'. If they can't walk straight and fall down stairs it is their problem, and not the owner of the stairs', and so forth.

All of these frivolous lawsuits have been witnessed by us all and they have created a sense of entitlement that everyone has a right to practically anything. If not, there's always the right to free expression and speech which has been so abused that it should be illegal.

I think it is high tide for some high profile cases, like Tenenbaum, to show that there will be repercussions. I couldn't care less of he can pay or not. He has his whole life to pay back the money, so start taking a job, dude. I also think he should not even be allowed to hide behind bankruptcy laws because again that is the next biggest abused cop-out in our legal system.

message 6: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) Do you have a "civil right" to walk out of a store with a product without paying?

The answer to that question is no and the answer to the question of whether copyright infringes on the civil right to read anything you wish is no.

A book is a product and the author has the "right" to be paid for it without worrying about it being stolen.

If you infringe on copyright you are a thief, plain and simple.