Chick Lit Writers discussion

General > Writing Buddies/Pen Pals

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 236 comments Mod
Please respond here if you would like to be paired with a writing buddy (a literal Pen Pal) that you can share your work with one on one via Personal Messages (PM) or however you choose to do so.

message 2: by Tara (new)

Tara I would be interested!

message 3: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments I like this idea, but I'm too busy with school right now. It wouldn't be fair to my partner.

I've had pen pals all my life, and still do. :) Although now we mostly keep in touch by email and Facebook, not actual letters.

message 4: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) I would be interested. I like the idea of a Pen Pal too...I miss the days of handwritten letters :-P

message 5: by Cathy (last edited Feb 24, 2010 09:22AM) (new)

I guess I meant they were one and the same...just a play on words..but I am open to do whatever:)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

This sounds like a cool idea, a friend of mine started to write to a pen pal from a few states over and ended up getting engaged to him.

~Tomorrow doesn't show anything but today's misfortunes reborn~

message 7: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) I definitely would like to be part of this.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily (teaandscribbles) | 13 comments I would be interested participating.

message 9: by Cathy (new)

I am interested as well to have a buddy to bounce my writing off of and to do the same for them...

Just an idea but maybe we could switch up buddies periodically...like keep a buddy for a month, 3 months or 6 months then swap around...jsut to get different view points...what do people think of that?

message 10: by Cathy (new)

Jessica wrote: "This sounds like a cool idea, a friend of mine started to write to a pen pal from a few states over and ended up getting engaged to him.

Does this mean you want me to add you to the list of people who want to be tied to a buddy?

message 11: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) This is a great idea Cathy! Count me in!

message 12: by Tara (new)

Tara I think that's a great idea Cathy!

message 13: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) Me too! I think that is an awesome idea!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess, I don't really care; I'm not going to do it, I don't have time, trying to finish high school online and raising a baby on my own. Life's too hectic for me. I just got to the point where I can get on goodreads. :)

~Tomorrow doesn't show anything but today's misfortunes reborn~

message 15: by Cathy (new)

Jessica wrote: "I guess, I don't really care; I'm not going to do it, I don't have time, trying to finish high school online and raising a baby on my own. Life's too hectic for me. I just got to the point where I ..."

No problem...there are plenty of ways to participate and if you change your mind later just let us know cause we will be changing up the buddies periodically to keep things fresh...thanks!

message 16: by Cathy (new)

So my fiance pulled everyone's name who indicated they wanted a Buddy last night out of one of his hats....so if something goes wrong with the pairings we can all blame him:)

Here goes:

Tara and Emily
Alicia and Jencey
Stacy and Cathy

I would suggest that everyone contacts their own buddy and decides how and when they'd like to start swapping their writing. We will check in with each other at some point down the road to see where everyone's at and evaluate whether we'd like to swap buddies after a month, 3 months, 6 months or sometime longer or in between.

I'm sure I don't really need to say this to the group but just to cover all the bases...Let's all try to remember that criticism can be very useful, constructive and helpful but also recognize that this is someone's personal work that they may have a difficult time sharing with others and so we should always maintain respect and appreciation for the other person's willingness to share a piece of themselves with us.

Be creative. Don't hold back and above all, have fun!!

message 17: by Cathy (new)

I see there are two new members to our group...welcome...if you'd like to pair up to have a writing buddy to reflect on each others work, please let us know...this extends to anyone else who has changed their mind as well...and we will do our best to accommodate everyone!

message 18: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) Cathy thanks for going forward with the pen pal idea. I have been stuck for months with the story that I have been working on. I just got my first feedback from my writing from Alicia. I am looking forward to going through it and adding to my story. Thanks Alicia!

message 19: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) Glad I could help. Too bad I cannot get my own rear in gear to keep going on my own writing.

message 20: by Julie (new)

Julie (lajewl) | 6 comments hey guys, am i too late to get in to a rotation? (this feels eerily like being the last one standing when school teams are being picked! lol)

message 21: by Cathy (new)

Julie wrote: "hey guys, am i too late to get in to a rotation? (this feels eerily like being the last one standing when school teams are being picked! lol)"
Thanks, Julie for speaking up.

I think this would be a great opportunity to switch up the partners? It's been a while, I assume many people's schedules have changed since and we've had many new members join...what does everyone think?

Please let me know by Next Friday if you would like to continue to be paired up with a Writing Partner/Buddy and we will pick at random new pairs!

message 22: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) I am interested in continuing. I would continue with Alicia but would be open to switching partners.

message 23: by Emily (new)

Emily (teaandscribbles) | 13 comments I haven't been very good. Sorry Tara. But I would like to continue with a partner. I am having more time again, so would like to try having a partner again.

message 24: by Cathy (new)

I'm sorry I disn't get back to everyone on that Friday like I said I would...I'm not quite sure what to do because we didn't get much of a response.

I think my best suggestion for now until we get more interest (and as soon as you are interested in having a writing partner, please post here!) is to post any and all writing you would like critiqued on our Writing to be Reviewed Discussion board and then anyone who has time and interest to edit your work can post on it from our group. Our group is private, so only members can see your work.

See folder here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

I apologze to those of you who expressed an interest in obtaining a writing partner but with only 3 responses, I didn't think it was fair to disband the existing pairs (if they are still working)...as always, let me know if I"m way off here...your input makes a differnece in what we do here:)

Thanks!