Chick Lit Writers discussion

Challenges > March's Challenge

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 236 comments Mod
Please list any and all ideas you have for a writing challenge for the month of March. We will be opening a poll to vote for which one wins this month.

So far we have...

Write a first chapter

Write 1500 words (anywhere, begining, middle, end)

Write an ending

Write a full character profile

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I really like the "write a full character profile" one, I'd have a lot of fun with that one. Here are my suggestion(s):

1. Write the perfect couple profiles

2. Write a love scene

Yes, incase you couldn't tell I love writing about couples.

~Tomorrow doesn't show anything but today's misfortunes reborn~

message 3: by Cathy (last edited Feb 25, 2010 05:55AM) (new)

Awesome ideas! I'm keeping track of these in an excel file...

what do people think about having themed challenges by month...

like March says its Humorists Are Artists Month...we could do write a funny short story...or think about something funny that has happened to you in the past or recently (or to someone else) and expand on that for a chapter or story...

message 4: by Tara (new)

Tara I like that idea Cathy. It would be like a book of short stories.

message 5: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) Ok, here's where my novice shows - what is a character profile and how do you come up with one?

message 6: by Cathy (last edited Feb 25, 2010 07:09AM) (new)

Stacy - Check out the character discussion.,.. i posted a sample character sketch outline that I got from See Jane Write: A Girl's Guide to Writing Chick Lit

message 7: by Cathy (last edited Feb 25, 2010 07:16AM) (new)

Tara - I'm confused - I just meant each person could try it out for themselves as a challenge or whatever challenge we do (if we do them) for the month...do you mean for people to collectively put their work together?
Or do you mean like our own collection of short stories? It would be cool to see how our work progresses from month to month!

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Stacy wrote: "Ok, here's where my novice shows - what is a character profile and how do you come up with one?"

Sorry, more specifically it is under Characters/Character Bios

message 9: by Tara (new)

Tara Cathy wrote: "Tara - I'm confused - I just meant each person could try it out for themselves as a challenge or whatever challenge we do (if we do them) for the month...do you mean for people to collectively put..."

It would be our own collection of short stories. I just meant it would be like reading a book of short stories. Sorry!

message 10: by Cathy (new)

oh yeah I think that sounds like a great idea too...don't be sorry..i think I just keep reading too much stuff so I am confusing myself...easily done:)

message 11: by Tara (new)

Tara Cathy wrote: "oh yeah I think that sounds like a great idea too...don't be sorry..i think I just keep reading too much stuff so I am confusing myself...easily done:)"

I know what you mean Cathy! I have it all in my head to say but when I type it out it's different. I confuse myself all the time.

message 12: by Cathy (new)

For the Month of March the Challenge will be to develop a full, complete Character Profile/Sketch. You can choose to do this in many ways, whether you post it publicly or keep it private. Post here, in your writing tab, or in your own private file or notebook.

I have been posting notes on guides to developing characters and creating character sketches from See Jane Write: A Girl's Guide to Writing Chick Lit under the Books discussion. I will try to get more info out there from Cathy Yardley's book too to help people out.

Use any resources you can find and please share them with us in the "Characters" folder if you think they are useful to us all!

Really challenge yourself to get to know your character but most of all have fun with this! It doesn't have to be some permanent character that wil be in your ultimate book..just a good way to practice and start writing.

message 13: by Cathy (new)

I know it's only March 9th and I haven't even come close to finishing my character sketch yet, but I just wanted to see how people felt about what to do with the character sketch once they were complete (or as complete as the month will get them to...I believe it will always be a work in progress:))

Do people want to post their Character sketches here? Share them with their writing partners?
Keep them private??

I am open to other ideas and very flexible with people's preferences. There is a million and one ways to do this and no right or wrong answers so please, give me your feedback when you can.

Thanks!

message 14: by Cathy (new)

How are people coming on their character profiles?? Anyone willing to share theirs? Let's starting brainstorming a challenge for March....look for a new post soon...