Dune Fanatics discussion

Dune film remake

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) "Dune" Remake Hires Writer
Posted: February 11th, 2010 by WorstPreviews.com Staff
http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline...

After director Pierre Morel (Taken) replaced Peter Berg on the "Dune" remake, he decided to throw away the screenplay that was written by Berg and Josh Zetumer (Bourne 4) in order to make the movie his own.

Now comes word that he has brought on newcomer Chase Palmer to write the script that will stick very close to the source material, which is Frank Herbert's Classic 1965 sci-fi novel.

The original tome is about an intergalactic struggle to control the supply of a valuable spice found only on the remote desert planet Arrakis. "Dune" was first turned into a film by David Lynch, whose 1984 effort was not a financial success.

Source: THR

message 2: by Karol (new)

Karol (karolsojko) | 2 comments I've read somewhere that it is planned to be in 3D, but anyway what isn't after Avatar ;)

message 3: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Right! It's the new eyeball straining craze.

message 4: by Benny (new)

Benny (bbierbaum) | 2 comments I'll probably be seeing this one in 3D, then 2D, and maybe again if its good. Anything to keep getting more Dune films.

message 5: by Josephine (new)

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) | 4 comments There is so little information about this movie. Do we know anything more? Internet searches don't turn up much news that is recent.

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) No, nothing since that one article. It's very frustrating. I'd like to know if the screenplay is finshed, then I'd have some hope that it may actually happen.

message 7: by Josephine (new)

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) | 4 comments From what I've read in my perusals tonight it seems Dune won't hit the screen for another 2 years at least. This is mostly due to the fact that Morel is redoing everything Berg did up until the end of 2009... And they'd been working on it at least a year.

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I don't mind it taking so long if they produce a quality screenplay.

message 9: by Jackie (last edited Sep 04, 2010 03:33PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Imdb has it listed as a 2012 release date but nothing else.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1160419/

The most interesting thing at the above link is fans' wishlists for casting on the Message Board, some interesting choices.

message 10: by Hubsi (new)

Hubsi (hubsine1) | 1 comments Hopefully, they'll include the mythic side of the novel. If that is lost, it's only a half.

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) If it cannot be done properly, it shouldn't be done at all.

message 12: by Tee (new)

Tee | 8 comments Hi all, another Dune-addict logging in. Holding great hopes for the new remake in 3d. All those layers within layers of plot are hard to do in live action, but with CG and VR one can build on the dreamer's original visions.

I hope to see something very faithful to the book. The longer the better. Not thinking about movie run-times but rather as a DVD series with multiple discs.

Advantage- reduced pirating issues by going direct to DVD.
Disadvantage - May cost a bit much for HD or 3d quality.

Done well - I'd pay the money!!

message 13: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Hi Tee!
I'd like to see a HBO or Showtime series. They're usually good quality. And we can have a season per book. I don't know if pay channels can afford such an undertaking but I'm thinking they can.

message 14: by Tee (new)

Tee | 8 comments Hi Jackie,

When enough viewers write in requesting a series the network will start to pay attention. They need to find projects that will have a dedicated audience - and Dune has that following like few other Si-fi titles.

Showtime would have my vote, but then again that's confining the project to a single vendor. If Hollywood did it and went direct to DVD - that's second best to instant ownership of beloved content.
I'd start saving up while it's still in pre-production and have dedicated shelf space waiting for the collection. LOL.

message 15: by Jackie (last edited Nov 14, 2010 09:45AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I only reason I think a TV series would be better is that it could provide the depth Dune deserves and the time it would take to achieve that depth whereas a movie cannot. Too much has to be cut for a movie and that's always been the problem with Dune on the big screen.
Imagine a full season to do just the first book!

In the end, it doesn't matter if it's just one vendor because they'll sell the season on DVD. I don't have HBO or Showtime or any of the pay channels but you can bet I've seen all their series on DVD.

message 16: by Perry (last edited Nov 14, 2010 09:46AM) (new)

Perry | 1 comments bad news everyone the dune movie is on hold for now. the director who had been working on the project for a little over a year now has backed out due because of the actions of the studio. I don't know where it will go from here.

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainme...

(also i hope you read the first part in prof farnsworth voice from furturama)

message 17: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) What is with these directors? Two quit now. Screw Pierre Morel. He'd probably ruin it anyway. Dune would take a huge commitment, and obviously this dude can't do it.
It sucks that the entire film is now in jeopardy of never coming to the big screen. I don't care all that much, since it's pretty awesome in my head.

message 18: by Brent (new)

Brent Thompson | 4 comments I was always waiting for the Sci-Fi channel to continue it's progression of the series to one of the best books of all, God Emperor Dune. I'm sure they would have struggled with the CGI of Leto and his worm/human body but the return of Duncan and the hint of the sisterhood to come would have set up the rest of the series nicely.

message 19: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) It would be great to have all the books turned into movies. God Emperor would be quite the challenge. And to see my beloved Duncan again...that would make my very happy.

message 20: by Ian (new)

Ian Peterson (Kolonelklink) | 7 comments I would prefer it never to be made than to have it made terribly. That being said, I'm sad that we can't get a re-imagining. The original film was very David Lynch, and works in that way, it just never jived with my sense of it in my head.

The SciFi channel really needs to keep making the mini-series'

message 21: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Screw Scifi channel, they've sunk too low to ever come back. I say let HBO or Showtime do a TV series; it'd be awesome, if their other series are any indication of how well a book-turned-series can be done.

message 22: by Ian (new)

Ian Peterson (Kolonelklink) | 7 comments I'm interested to see how well HBO does on the Game of Thrones series, but you are right about SciFi (refuse to even type the new name...). After the cancellation of Stargate Universe I'm done with that channel. Still, I really liked the first Dune mini-series, campiness and all.

I've been putting together a list with my friend for an all-star cast for a Dune remake, anyone have any thoughts on who should play who?

message 23: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I'm dying of anticipation for HBO's A Game of Thrones, from the extended trailer it looks spectacular.

I haven't given casting any thought but I'd like to see your list.

message 24: by Brent (new)

Brent Thompson | 4 comments From what I've seen of the Rome productions I think a British cast from the same company would do well with the re-make, unknowns that would really suprise. However I don't like the idea of repeating a story for a third time, continuing to the end of thought is always best. "Arrakis teaches the way of the knife, chopping off at the wrist, saying now it is complete because it ends here." Dune I

message 25: by Ian (new)

Ian Peterson (Kolonelklink) | 7 comments I agree that a third version of dune is a bit superfluous, but at the same time I want it to be done really well. I've always felt a mini series is the only way to capture the depth of the story.

As for my casting list, the only one I've thought up is stellan skarsgard would make a great stilgar. Ian mcniece has to play baron harkonnen again too haha

message 26: by Jackie (last edited Feb 27, 2011 09:35PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I LOVE Stellan! He would be awesome, good choice, Kolonel. Did you ever see him in Beowulf & Grendel? Best Beowulf movie ever.

Ian M really has the Baron H look about him, he'd have to reprise his role. Linda Hunt could reprise Shadout Mapes again; I've never been able to see anyone else in that role after her.

Helen Mirren might make a good Rev. Mother Mohiam
Jessica Alba has a Chani look about her, but she might be too old, it would depend on who plays Paul.

Ben Barnes could play Paul.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1602660/
Or Jonas Armstrong, no pic on imdb, he was in the British TV series Robin Hood.

Kim Coates would definitely make a great Piter.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0167649/

Richard Armitage would be my choice as Duncan.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0035514/

message 27: by Josephine (new)

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) | 4 comments I think if they capture more of the philosophy than the Lynch's movie, they can change the plot a little. I mean, I think they would probably cut a little of the first half and focus on the betrayal and recreation of the empire--audiences unfamiliar with Dune would go see that. I'm sure. Revolution is always a popular theme.

What do you think about cutting for the sake of getting other things into the movie?

message 28: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I think it takes away from the story, as we've seen with both movies which is why I'm an advocate for a pay cable series rather than another 2 hour movie. It cannot be done properly in 2 hours. Even if it had a part 2, that's 4 hours and still cannot give the details that make Dune such a spectacular book and potentially a fantastic series.

message 29: by Brent (new)

Brent Thompson | 4 comments Herbert was a poet, one of the best when it came down to theological ideas that mixed with political views. I've read all of Herbert's Dune series and the central focal point of all the series is Leto II, The God Emperor, make a movie/series focusing on that book and you have yourself a basis for another great movie. We all know that trilogies are best, not that my opinion matters much but start a new story with God Emperor to Heritics and then Chapterhouse to finish off the artisry of Herbert's work.

message 30: by *Kashi* (new)

*Kashi* | 13 comments I have to Agree with the Mini-Series format. I enjoyed the Sci-Fi Miniseries, I really got into the Lightning (I'm a Theater Tech) But what I love the most is Herbert's use of Philosophy,Theology and all the sub themes; and for all that we need a Longer format than a movie would offer. Also I would prefer something new instead of a Remake.

message 31: by Ian (new)

Ian Peterson (Kolonelklink) | 7 comments There is literally no possible way to fit Dune into 2 hours, you'd have to cut A LOT. My fear is that you cut most of the philosophy, theology, ecology, etc, it just becomes a cheap action movie about a desert guerrilla/revenge plot.

message 32: by Josephine (new)

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) | 4 comments To agree with you Kashi, what if you made the story about Leto II? Using Paul and Leto's story as flashback and memory?

As awesome as the first novel is, maybe making an interpretation of the series, picking those things which are very important to a specific view point, would make a new story which would draw more people into the series?

You could make a action packed story and just assume things for the viewer about the religion and government.

I can't really explain what I mean, but something like what was done for Lord of the Rings. Technically 6 books, condensed into 3 movies.

If they wanted to make a mult-movie series, what if they began with Leto II and then did a 'prequel' to explain his lineage?

(I bet someone is wishing I would leave this alone...)

message 33: by SandChigger (new)

SandChigger (DuneSandChigger) | 9 comments Well, now that Paramount's option has timed out, Rubinstein & the HLP are trying to flog their dead whale to anyone who'll just render the corpse so they can get some cash out of it.

Evidently there are some "big fish" swimming around the thing, but whether they're sharks or just more bottomfeeders remains to be seen.

IF it ever gets made, don't expect anything of quality: that ship has done sailed. (And it's not like the Herberts are great judges of quality, anyway, considering who they chose to help Brian write the new books.)

message 34: by Clark (new)

Clark Carlton (clarkthomascarlton) | 4 comments I would love to see Dune done properly as a film since I think the Syfy miniseries and the Lynch film both fell short of the mark. But I doubt that Hollywood's most ingenious screenwriters can come up with a commercially viable film project that non-fans would understand or appreciate. I hope that doesn't sound snobby, but the world of Dune is so intricately constructed that it may be impossible to paint its story with the broad strokes of cinematic story telling. Lynch did a fair job of attempting to set up Herbert's world before starting the story but it was all too ponderous and bogged down under the weight of its exposition. And for all of it, the average film goer had no idea who to cheer for, couldn't differentiate between Fremens and Sardakars much less understand the goals of the Bene Gesserit. To do it right, the first film based on the first book would need to be four, five or six hours and the budget would be enormous. I think film execs don't see a good financial return on something which they may love and admire but know is too cerebral.

I know when the Lynch version was made that De Laurentiis was hoping it was his own Star Wars type franchise complete with toys and other merchandising. I bought a lot of that stuff for pennies on the dollar after the movie bombed. For a while, I had a Dune birthday set with soda cups, napkins and pointy cone hats with Kyle McLachlan on them. Young kids were never going to be interested. I think this is a case where the book is always going to be better than the movie.

One Dune book that I think would be a good commercial film is The Machine Crusade.

message 35: by Brent (new)

Brent Thompson | 4 comments AMEN, Sandchigger I commend you on your comment of flogging the the dead whale/horse so to speak, I smoked you at once. In the end do we cry more for the prayers that are not answered or the prayers that are???

message 36: by Colin (new)

Colin | 21 comments Since when has any film ever lived up to the book? My favorite movie of all time is The Return of the King, and while it was an awesome movie, it still wasn't anywhere near as good as the book.

I can think of a couple of examples where the movie came out first, and then a novelization of the movie was published, and still the book was better than the movie.

If you are a book person (and if you are commenting on this website, you probably are a book person), the book will almost always be more enjoyable than the movie.

Lynch's movie was my first introduction to the Dune universe. It inspired me to read the book, which in turn inspired me to read the rest of the series. I think we would all agree that that was a good thing.

But if you are expecting to see a Dune movie (or any movie) that is as enjoyable as the book, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

message 37: by Ampoliros (new)

Ampoliros | 10 comments I think Dune would make a great series, especially if it was done with the love and care like the teams that did Game of Thrones or Battlestar Galactica. Dune is too complex to be told in 2 or even 6 hours.

Unfortunately I second (or third/fourth whatever) the belief that the current state of the HLP doesn't care enough about the legacy to do this. The cash must flow, quality not so much.

message 38: by *Kashi* (new)

*Kashi* | 13 comments I enjoyed the Dune mini-series that Scify did. so I agree with AMPOLIROS about a Series Done Properly by people who care, Really Care. Dune is Really deep and has a lot of things going on. it needs to have the action, Philosophy, "Religion", Ploting, action, Politics,Planetology, etc. and while Dune isn't heavy on Special Fx, it would be good to have some stuff from time to time. By the way I liked Storaro's use of ligthning and color.

message 39: by Rick (new)

Rick While there are aspects of both Lynch's theatrical adaptation and the SciFi's mini-series (both of them), I do agree that they fell short. Capturing all that was in the book to film is a daunting task but the mini-series succeeded in providing more time to develope the characters.
I had hoped that with the success, both financial and critical, of Jackson's Lord of the Rings adaptation someting similar might get greenlighted for Dune. I would love to see a big-budget film series just adapting the first novel. Can you imagine how things could be developed over three films? This is the kind of treatment that Dune deserves.
And if it was successful the sequel potential is certainly there with the other books. It's just a matter of the right filmmaker coming along at the right time and pitching it to the right people.

message 40: by Shane_finnie (new)

Shane_finnie | 2 comments Jackie. your profile is private. why so

message 42: by Paul (new)

Paul (kungfuaddict) | 4 comments 1st of all, I would LOVE to see the Jodorowsky version of Dune.

Does everyone here know that Brian Herbert is one of the producers for the remake?

"The agreement calls for the development and production of possible film and television projects for a global audience. The projects would be produced by Thomas Tull, Mary Parent and Cale Boyter, with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert serving as executive producers."

I love Frank's works with a passion. Some call it obsessed. ;-) I can appreciate Brian's for the entertainment value. The idea of power cycles is still evident in the newer series, but much of the complexity of the originals is missing.

I know that Legendary really just wants a cash cow a la Disney Star Wars, Marvel and DC's comic universes, etc. What corporation isn't all about the money? They have a few in Dark Knight, Superman, etc.
I imagine that they are seriously looking at the TV and movie multi-faceted approach that DC and Marvel seem to be successfully pulling off.

I think the idea of a trilogy of movies for one book might give them ample time to cover much of the story. After watching Game of Thrones and Westworld, a big budget serialized version makes a LOT of sense for Dune.

Considering the expanded universe with the prequels, I'd love to know where the rest of you think it should start?