The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Elizabeth Berg

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 314 comments I read her essay in the book The Book That Changed My Life: 71 Remarkable Writers Celebrate the Books That Matter Most to Them, and now I'd really like to read something of hers.

Recommendations? My comfort genre is mystery/suspense, but I also love humor, horror, and other well written family-focused novels and historical fiction. Like strong female main characters.

Thanks in advance

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol I have In The Woods-Tana French coming. It was highly recommended. It is a murder mystery.

message 3: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 604 comments The first book of hers that I read was Open House: A Novel and I liked it a lot.

message 4: by Meghan (new)

Meghan I second Open House. I just finished The Art of Mending, which is also very good. I also read Range of Motion (which was my first Berg book). If I recall that one was the toughest emotionally. But OH is my favorite.

I also really like Elizabeth Noble. She wrote the Reading Group. But my favorite of hers is Things I'd Like to Tell My Daughters. They're both a bit on the lighter side of writing, but tell a good story.

Have you read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn? That's my second favorite historical fiction book. Very good female protagonist.

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Benshana | 2 comments The Green inheritance by Huxley shaped my thinking.

I think most people will be interested in my non-fiction book though it won't change anyone's life.

:)

message 6: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 314 comments Meghan wrote: "I second Open House. I just finished The Art of Mending, which is also very good. I also read Range of Motion (which was my first Berg book). If I recall that one was the toughest emotionally. But ..."

Sadly, I haven't read a Tree Grows in Brooklyn...so I'll add that to my to-reads.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

message 7: by Darcia (new)

Darcia Helle (darciahelle) There's an interesting interview with Elizabeth Berg in the March/April issue of Writer's Digest.

I have Open House but have not read it, yet. That seems to be her most popular, though that certainly doesn't mean it's her best.

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) | 358 comments Totally OT, but I just read the GR blurb about Open House: A Novel and I want to point out that the correct way to refer to the illustrious jewelry store is "Tiffany", not "Tiffany's". Just a leetle pet peeve of mine.

OK I'll be quiet now.

message 9: by Judy (new)

Judy (judygreeneyes) | 411 comments I enjoyed "Range of Motion" and "Never Change". I have open house on my TBR pile.

message 10: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 314 comments Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think I'll definitely start with Open House. If I enjoy I'm going to move on to The Art of Mending, Range of Motion, and Never Change

...And a Tree Grows in Brooklyn

message 11: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) I have not read Open House, but have read several others by Elizabeth Berg:

We Are All Welcome Here
The Pull of the Moon
What We Keep
The Art of Mending
Dream When You're Feeling Blue

I have many others in the TBR pile, including her more recent Home Safe: A Novel.

message 12: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Julianne wrote: "Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think I'll definitely start with Open House. If I enjoy I'm going to move on to The Art of Mending, Range of Motion, and Never Change

...And a Tree Grows in ..."

Let us know what you think! I've only read a couple of Berg's so I'm always interested to hear what other people think of work.