Drama and Theatre discussion

What is your favorite place to see theatre in the summer?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nessie (last edited May 13, 2008 06:23AM) (new)

Nessie | 42 comments Winner hands down, no contest, others never got out of the gate . . . .

THE SHAW FESTIVAL in Niagara-on-the-Lake Ont. Canada!

Beautiful Place, marvelous plays, great wine and food, lots to do when the stages are dark!

(she sings now. . .) " Heaven, I'm in Heaven And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak And I seem to find the happiness I seek ..."

Really, if you live in this region of the world, don't walk, drive really fast, go this weekend! (It would be worth flying for too!)

What place or festival makes your heart beat?

message 2: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 110 comments I am excited to be going to the Stratford Festival -- leaving this Thursday. Although, Nessie, I would love to go to Niagara-on-the-Lake. I loved this years' season line-up! I would have loved to see Mrs. Warren's Profession and Getting Married there this year...Oh, well, some other year.

message 3: by Nessie (new)

Nessie | 42 comments They are so close together! If you are traveling via New York State you will pass within 15-20 min. Even when in Stratford it is only about 2 hours away. Honestly, how ever Ontario ended up with TWO great festivals is beyond me. (S0 UNFAIR!)

I have seen both of those shows at past festivals, both awesome! What are you seeing in Stratford? Something scrummy?

message 4: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 110 comments I agree, Nessie, it is totally unfair they have two such great festivals! I suppose if one had tons of time and money one could do both, but going to Stratford is a bit of a stretch for me. I'll be seeing Music Man, Hamlet and Taming of the Shrew. I've seen productions of all three at other festivals (i.e. Colorado Shakespeare Festival, other regional theatres) but good productions make these shows worth seeing again. Of course, bad productions of any play put one to sleep. I regret I could not go later as some of the shows I want to see are not opening yet, but one goes when one can!

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (danm) | 12 comments A shameless plug...I work for the Great River Shakespeare Festival in Winona, MN. Peter Saccio has been a guest speaker for the last three/four years and has written quite highly about it. This year it's Taming of the Shrew and Merchant of Venice with Pericles done by the acting apprentices.

message 6: by Nessie (last edited May 14, 2008 11:27AM) (new)

Nessie | 42 comments Daniel,

I must give you a "C" on your shameless plug! You forgot to post a link. I'm sure you will do better next time. ;)

http://www.grsf.org/main/

Did you list the shows in the events section? tsk tsk tsk

message 7: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (danm) | 12 comments Thanks for the generous "C". I really didn't want to break any group "rules" that I might not be aware of by posting such links. Thanks for researching and posting for me. Do I put you on the payroll...? :)

And...I went to the events page, but am I to post one for each day?! I don't see a "through-date" ability.

message 8: by Nessie (new)

Nessie | 42 comments No there isn't a through-date function and It is totally a pain to write for each day. (Does anyone know how to send comments to Goodreads staff?) Perhaps you could post for the last day and then put more info and links into the description. Then your posting would stay up until the show closed.

I don't know if there are any rules about shameless plugs, but, since I posted the web site and I DON"T work for Great River, we got around any possible rules quite nicely. Don't you think? ;)

Besides there is nothing EVER shameless about trying to get people to see Shakespeare. :)

message 9: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 110 comments Just got back from Stratford and enjoyed very much all three shows I saw there, though I've niggling problems/critiques/comments (of course!). Beautiful costumes and sets; wish I was made of money; I'd stay for two weeks and see everything.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 32 comments I've always loved the Stratford Festival. I used to go there every summer (even if just for a long weekend). It's only about a 7-hour drive from my home in rural Southeastern Ohio. I'm hoping to be able to go this year, if I can free up the time and the cash....Everybody who does get there, please report back here (just in case I can't make it :-)

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 51 comments I'm sooooooo jealous! Awesome, Jenna. I shall live vicariously through you...