Book lovers discussion

Movies and Tv > Time Burton's Alice in Wonderland

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments So, I know a lot of people have strong opinions about Tim Burton remaking Alice in Wonderland and I am super curious to know what this group thinks and if everyone will go see the movie when it comes out in March on the fifth. At least, that's when it comes out in the states. I love Tim Burton and am a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass so I am super stoked to watch the film. The actress they chose to play Alice is in her mid twenties I believe, but from what I understand this is very much Alice in Wonderland meets the Sci Fi channel, complete with battles and a much braver, more fierce Alice! As the Disney version did, this version is also a mix of both books. I am so excitied!

Thoughts?

message 2: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Carlson (annielawlz) | 2 comments I'm excited, I've been waiting for this movie for ages. I think it looks really cool and unique. And besides I can't miss anything Tim Burton.

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Juliet wrote: "I'm excited, I've been waiting for this movie for ages. I think it looks really cool and unique. And besides I can't miss anything Tim Burton."

Agreed! i just love Tim Burton. I can't think of one movie he made that I didn't like. I LOVED his Charlie and the Chocolate Factory remake! SO GOOD! I think this will be no different. I agree with you, this movie looks so interesting and eye catching!

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) The Boss informed me that I may have to take her to the movies for this one. I may even do it. It looks SOOOO cool.

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I want to see this aswell. Anything with Johnny Depp in is ok with me! I love Helena Bonham Carter too.

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments I am stoked to see Alice as an older woman. IN this movie version she falls down the rabbit hole JUST after a man asks her to marry him and she takes a minute to breathe before responding...and falls. SOUNDS SO GOOD! I'm with you Jo, I love Helena Bonham Carter. She's so dark and gorgeous! Of course she's married to Tim Burton! It makes so much sense!

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Jim wrote: "The Boss informed me that I may have to take her to the movies for this one. I may even do it. It looks SOOOO cool."

Haha...the boss as in your wife? Love that. That's how my family runs as well...except that I'm not allowed to hold the purse strings as I have issues with definitions. So I'm told. Mainly the difference between "want" and "need." Pfft. :\

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Johnny Depp is just the perfect Mad Hatter, although I think Christopher Walken would be a good one, too.

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Christopher Walken would have made a FANTASTIC Mad Hatter...but Johnny...c'mon! It's Johnny Depp! Depp and Burton are like....peanut butter and jelly! The compliment each other so well! ;)

message 10: by Dean (new)

Dean (cowboys86) | 122 comments It's a sequel isn't it? I saw a preview today and I must admit it looks pretty good, I normally like Tim Burton movies, probably won't see it until it's on Blu Ray or something though.

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Jessica, good point on the PB&J. they are like that.

Yes, The Boss is the wife, although she denies the title. She can quibble all she wants, but when she decides something, it usually happens. She just allows me the illusion of control most of the time.

message 12: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I saw Helena and Tim in hamleys in london a few years back. I just stared with my mouth open.

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments I don't think it's a sequel but I could be wrong. In this one Alice has just been proposed to and she takes a moment to think about it (clearly she is not ready) and then she run over to the tree to relax and notices a hole and looks down it...the rest you know.

Jim: THat is very diplomatic of her. ;)

Jo: I think I would have done the same thing. I am SURE I would have done the same thing. But wow. The two of them together in one spot? Wow.

message 14: by Dean (new)

Dean (cowboys86) | 122 comments Well in the previews they're welcoming her back and I remember it saying it's about Alice's return or whatever, but then I could just be horribly and embarrassingly wrong >__<

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Dean wrote: "Well in the previews they're welcoming her back and I remember it saying it's about Alice's return or whatever, but then I could just be horribly and embarrassingly wrong >__<"

Oh that would be SO COOL! I hope it is Alice returning! They could do so much more with the movie then! HURRAH!

message 16: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) I've been wanting to read the book since the movie is coming out...anyone else have that urge?

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Diane, I actually re-read Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass a few weeks ago and it was really refreshing! I forgot how much I enjoyed the surreal-ness (is that a word? Ah well) and abstract qualities of these stories! If you choose to re-read it we could start a thread to discuss it if you like!

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Dean, I think you're right! I watched the longer preview and it looks like it's a sequel! I can't wait now! I really cant...

message 19: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy wrote: "Diane, I actually re-read Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass a few weeks ago and it was really refreshing! I forgot how much I enjoyed the surreal-ness (is that a word? Ah well) and ..."

Jessica, it's definitely in my TBRs now. I'll let you know when I get to it **sigh** and would love to open a thread on it!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm super excited and I have a feeling that a few friends and I are going to take a trip to big city to go see it in 3D!

message 21: by Stephanie (last edited Mar 05, 2010 04:23AM) (new)

Stephanie (stephaniex88) | 76 comments Alice is Wonderland was my favourite story as a child and I always hoped they would make it into a movie. I've been excited about it for months! I usually hate going to the cinema but I will definitely go to see this movie. I love everything with Johnny Depp and Tim Burton. The soundtrack, "Almost Alice", is fantastic! =)

message 22: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 39 comments Ooh I so want to see this!!!

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments GUESS WHO HAS TICKETS TO SEE ALICE IN WONDERLAND TONIGHT????

THIS GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will deffo report back! :)

exciting times! I plan to go dressed for tea. SHould be fun!

message 24: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Congrats, Jessica!!! Please do give us a good report. I hope you can still see straight when you get out. I have a feeling it's going to be a wild ride.

message 25: by Harriet (new)

Harriet | 81 comments I'm ridiculously excited about seeing this! But I have to wait until wednesday :(
Looking forward to hearing what other people think of it before then though.
I agree with what's been said re Johnny Depp, Tim Burton and Helen Bonham Carter - with a combination like that, can they really go wrong? Well, anything with Johnny Depp and I'm on board.

message 26: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I've heard lots of bad reviews for it. I hope its good!

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Okay, I saw it last night. It was definitely interesting and not at all what I thought. Aesthetically it was really fun to watch but a lot of the things that made the first Alice so interesting, like the conversations and so on aren't there. It's very straight forward with no riddles and the land is not as strange as it was in the books or the first movie. I thought, being Burton and all, he would keep that weirdness and even emphasis it, but he cut it out almost completely. I don't want to say more then that so as not to spoil it for anyone. It was good and visually pleasing but it wasn't what I was hoping for. In fact, it was completely different. Having said that, I did enjoy this take on ALice.

...and yes, I did wear a tutu.

message 28: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I guess thats why it got bad reviews. I'm glad that you wore a tutu lol!

message 29: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) I saw it this morning -- beautiful graphics/costumes/ scenery, don't think you need 3D glasses for it. The story is lacking -- especially the end is flat. Is that because Disney wanted it to be PG? Johnny Deep, Helena Bonham Carter and Alan Rickman did their best. Glad I didn't pay full price (matinee plus 3D glasses)!

message 30: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Well, I guess I won't break down & actually go to the movie theater to see it then. Thanks for the update.

message 31: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Watch Alice in Wonderland from 1903. That's right, a film clip from a movie made over a century ago!
http://mikelgan.posterous.com/wow-che...

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments wow. That is so cool!!!! Thank you Jim!!!!

message 33: by Harriet (new)

Harriet | 81 comments So I finally saw Alice on wednesday, after months and months of excitement. And it completely lived up to expectations! I was a bit worried that it wouldn't after reading various comments about it, but I absolutely LOVED it.
Johnny Depp was fabulous as usual, as was Helena Bonham Carter. Some fantastic casting - there was no one that didn't seem to fit their parts.
We splurged and went for a 3D showing (my first ever one since a bad experience with the Honey, I shrunk the kids attraction and Disney Paris when I was like 9...!) and am really pleased we did. What with that, the casting and characters, the plot, and the general amazingness, I think I sat there in absolute jaw-dropped awe the whole way through.
I do agree that the end could have been a little bit better - it did feel a little rushed. But I thought that the rest was so fantastic, it really didn't bother me.
Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.

Please excuse my over-enthusiasm, but in case you can't tell, I liked it quite a lot :)

Oh, and that 1903 clip is actually a little bit amazing! Thanks for finding that!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I liked the movie, it was what I expexted. Though the battle was somewhat anticlimatic, anyone else think so?

message 35: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) Yes, I agree that the battle was anti-climatic. I was disappointed in the movie -- I expected more from Burton's creativity with a great story and extremely talented actors (such as Johnny Deep and Helena Bonham Carter and others). I thought that the visuals (scenery and magical Cheshire Cat appearances/ disappearances were excellent) and the costumes were fantastic. But they lacked greatly in their storytelling. I don't think the beginning scene (marriage proposal) was portrayed in a 19th century way. (The book was written in 1865.)

[image error]

I was watching "Rotten Tomatoes" on cable a couple nights ago and they said that it wasn't originally suppose to be 3D, but changed it (per Disney) because of the success with the 3D Avatar.

Reviews:
http://www.reviewexpress.com/review.p...

This one has video clips--
http://www.weekinrewind.com/2010/03/a...

message 36: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I watched it on wednesday aswell but in 2d. I really liked it. After hearing some bad things i was pleasantly suprised!

message 37: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 103 comments Levi wrote: "I liked the movie, it was what I expexted. Though the battle was somewhat anticlimatic, anyone else think so?"

The battle was a little anti-climatic. I saw the film in 3D and Imax. I liked it, but would probably only give it three stars as I felt it was ok style wise, but lacked substance. It felt a bit of a light weight adaptation to me.

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Stuart wrote: "Levi wrote: "I liked the movie, it was what I expexted. Though the battle was somewhat anticlimatic, anyone else think so?"

The battle was a little anti-climatic. I saw the film in 3D and Imax. ..."

I totally agree with you. IT's just what I've come to expect from Burton...

message 39: by Rebecka (new)

Rebecka | 3 comments i just all around loved this movie for the first time i watched the old one this week and i love it to ive ween walking around singing im late im late for a very important date no time to say hello goodbye im late im late im late or asking why is a raven like a writing desk lol