Sarah's Key Sarah's Key discussion

Sarah's Key

Comments (showing 1-38 of 38) (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura I want to read this book but I want to know a little more about the book like:
1. What are the main characters like?
2. What is the plot?
3. Theme of the book?
Please write back soon! I want to start reading soon!

Beth I reviewed it. Check out my review in my library.

Alyssa This book is great the main characters are a 10 year old girl and a woman heading towards her 40's. It gives you the spectrum of female thought in the present and past. The plot is a little girl's struggle to remain strong when her family is ripped apart by the holocaust. The older character Julia is drawn into the little girl's story and cannot get away from the girl's strife. It comes together with family connectivity and was an all around great book. Highly suggested.

Dawn Stone I loved this book too Alyssa!!!

Sgilbert I flew through this book! What a wonderful story, so well-written and so engaging. It tells a story about a time in our history that little is known or spoken about,so for that I am very grateful.

Tiff This was a fast read for me and i was kept captivated through out the novel.It was thought provoking and entertaining...really enjoyed! hope you all do too. :)

Megowen I read this quite a while ago. Although I have always been fascinated by the holocaust and have read dozens, if not hundreds of books on the topic, I somehow had missed the history of the French Jews. A friend at work has relatives who were there and involved in these events. She borrowed the book from me for her husband to read, and it is still passing around in that family. The remark that it is a close to accurate narrative.

Judy The French Jew angle was great, the horror of the story involving the key, all were excellent. However, I found the storytelling just average.

message 9: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat I totally enjoyed this book, read it for book club, but recommended it to many friends. Had to put it down for a while when I realized how hopeless she was with the key in her possesion. Very strong characters.

Tasha enderby I loved the book to,it was quickly read over a the weekend. It got to the point that I couldn't put it down to feed my kids. I loved the historic view of France from an American perspective. I spent a whole summer in Paris and never learned of the round up. I loved that I could relate to the people and the places.

message 11: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Heartbreaking yet heartwarming at the same time, I would have to give it 4ish stars because...well it had so much about the reporter's personal life..as if I really cared about her love for passion. There are a lot of cliff hangers but I have to say that Sarah's story is a whole lot better than the reporter's..even though it is very sad...I would only read it once for reasons I shouldn't say because they are spoilers. Go ahead and read it...or get on audio...it's faster than that way. I thought so. Did anyone know that Sarah's Key is a movie? I never knew until I had finished it.

Tasha enderby I did not know that it was made into a movie. I may have to look into that. I agree with you though even though both stories were very sad Sarah's was a lot better then the reporters. I will admit that the dialoge of the reporter in the abortion clinic was not easy to read but yet I couldn't put it down until I knew for sure the out come.

Alice43 I read this book in one day,I loved it.It has to do with the Velodrome roundup http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vel'...
and the French involvement.

message 14: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Hey Tasha, the movie is a different language but there are numerous trailers out so you can watch them...I didn't remember the abortion clinic but I do remember everything else.

message 15: by Lesa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lesa Kelley I read this book over a year ago and it still haunts me.

Jackleen I read this book about 6 months ago. It is a fantastic book but be prepared to cry. It flips between Sarah, a little Jewish girl caught in the round up in Paris during the second world war, and, a journalist who stumbles on to her story. The journalist had no idea that this Jewish round up had happened in France, (which I think is the case for all of us which is the reason the write wrote the book) and is scandalized that this history has been so suppressed. Sarahs Key is a very fast read mostly because you can not put it down.

Kendra I read this book many months ago. It is a very powerful and moving book. And as Jackleen said "be prepared to cry".

Heather Tucker i highly recommend this book! It had everything in it. and the stlye was great (once you figure out a charachter's relationship in the beginning..hint hes her husband...the GQ guy..haha..

✿Sandra My book club read this book, and everyone really liked it. Usually there are mixed reviews, but this book is one all of the members had only good things to say about it. It is sad but also a very good story. There is a movie coming out on July 22nd, if you are interested.

Lynette The girl is unnamed, until she is offered some component of human dignity...then we see her as Sarah. Julia offers a sense of contemporary duty, honor and conscience. This story keeps the Holocaust in our minds, while avoiding despair, so that we might not forget. For those of us who believe it was impossible for good people to be drawn into this behavior...it is important to remember the truth, as to avoid the mistakes of the past. Good read and light enough to appreciate the difficult topic.

message 21: by Book (new) - rated it 5 stars

Book I really like it and recommend it as well. The book does end though with no real closure for the main character, so if you don't think you would like that, you may want to pass.

message 22: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna It will come back and haunt you!!

message 23: by Book (new) - rated it 5 stars

Book Lynette wrote: "The girl is unnamed, until she is offered some component of human dignity...then we see her as Sarah. Julia offers a sense of contemporary duty, honor and conscience. This story keeps the Holocaus..."

I completely agree. Most people didn't know about the French being involved. Then to find out that on their own accord to impress the Nazi's/Hitler, they round up all those women and children without even the order to do so is eye opening.

Janelle0308 such a great book and the movie is being released soon!

Robin Just a note about the movie. Myself and two friends saw it at the Toronto Film Festival last year. We had all read and loved the book. I am normally not a big fan of the movie based on a book situation, but I will say that this one was fantastic. They stuck to the story line of the book which made us all happy and had us all in tears. If you can find it I suggest you watch it.

Pamela The book is great, and the movie is actually fantastic as well (usually the book is better than the movie, but this movie is great!)

Join the LA Museum of the Holocaust for a pre-release screening of Sarah's Key on Wednesday, July 20 at 6:30 PM at Los Angeles Museum of the Holocaust.

A $10 donation is suggested.

visit www.lamoth.org for more information.

Pamela Janelle0308 wrote: "such a great book and the movie is being released soon!"

Join the Los Angeles Museum of the Holocaust for a pre-release screening of Sarah's Key on Wednesday, July 20 at 6:30 PM at Los Angeles Museum of the Holocaust.

A $10 donation is suggested.

visit www.lamoth.org for more information

Sharon Bially I was so disappointed by this book. It got off to a good start and I was really pulled into the whole story in the beginning about Sarah's poor brother and the closet, but after that it went downhill. I found the chapters set in contemporary times useless and empty, with a bad, stereotypical picture of a "bad" French husband (I lived in France for 12 years and have had a French husband for 20, so am sensitive to the realities here)and a weak, not-very-believable emotional link to the story line set in the past.

It always baffles me when the mere idea / concept of a book enthralls readers but isn't backed up by substance and this goes unnoticed.

Sandy I loved the book and just realized there is a movie about it. I thought it was much better than The Book Thief which I also just finished. I checked our theatres around here and they are not showing the movie yet but I hope to see it. This book will stay with me forever!!

Kathy Tracey I read this book a while ago. The story could have been powerful. Although it showed the link between now - and the atrocities of the holocaust, I didn't care much for the contemporary characters. There was not a great deal of substance to that part of the story. A woman's struggle with an unfaithful husband pales in comparison to the lives of families which are brutally destroyed.

Ashley Sharon wrote: "I was so disappointed by this book. It got off to a good start and I was really pulled into the whole story in the beginning about Sarah's poor brother and the closet, but after that it went downh..."

When I read, its because I want to be "caught up". I don't read to learn or enrich my life or to realize some deeper meaning of life. I read because I want to feel what the characters are feeling, or get an adrenaline rush from a good thriller. I loved Sarah's Key. I am objective enough that I can say its not the most well written book that ever was. But I read it in one sitting and the fact that I wouldn't put it down, is all I need to know.

Saying that, I did actually look up the Velodrome Round Up information. That part I thought was fascinating.

message 32: by Russ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Russ Excellent post Sharon. The thrill of witnessing or being a part of what is taking place between the covers is the reason most of us read.

The fact that another can overwhelm our emotions and command completely our attention is, as you know. It's the rush that keeps all of us under that spell for hours as we become the directors within the theatre of our minds.

Jackleen Ashley wrote: "Sharon wrote: "I was so disappointed by this book. It got off to a good start and I was really pulled into the whole story in the beginning about Sarah's poor brother and the closet, but after tha..."
I loved this book. I have loaned my copy out to quite a few of my friends and family members. I always give this warning when handing over the book: Do not plan on doing anything for the next two or three days because you will not be able to put this book down.

Joanne I could put it down, and did. I didn't like it.

Donna Jackleen wrote: Saying that, I did actually look up the Velodrome Round Up information. That part I thought was fascinating.

I did this too. I never knew about the French side of this. When I first started reading this book I spent more time researching then I did actually reading. I learned a lot about the history of it and looked up maps and pictures and learned what some of the french words ment and listened to them pronounced. I really enjoyed this book (except some things at the ending).

Marian I absolutely loved this book. I highly recommend it to everyone I talk books with.

message 37: by Heather (last edited Dec 07, 2011 08:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Heather Tucker Marian wrote: "I absolutely loved this book. I highly recommend it to everyone I talk books with."

i loved it too, although it was painful to read..

message 38: by Janet Lucas (new)

Janet Lucas this is our latest book club choice and I was pretty sure I would not read it but relented and gave it a try. I was caught up in the story of Sarah and learned a bit of French history. I did not enjoy the story of Julia and especially the final part in New York.... to me, contrived and bordering on contemporary women's fiction. I did very much empathize and agonize with Sarah in her adult years....

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Sarah's Key (other topics)