Chick Lit Writers discussion

General > Books We Love to Help Us Write

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) Would any one be interesting in reading a book on writing once a month? I know they can sometimes be hard to get through, but some have a lot of good ideas. On the bookshelf there are several we could start with or if anyone else has any suggestions that would be great.

Let me know if you would be interested!

message 2: by Tara (new)

Tara I would be interested Alicia. It just depends on the book. See Jane Write, I think I could read.

message 3: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) Yeah some of them can be tedious...I have read Bird by Bird which was good because it wasn't a standard writing book, those bore me. Maybe some of our goals could even be to read a chapter from some sort of writing book every night or week or something, I am sure they have some helpful information.

I have See Jane Write being sent to my library so maybe we can start with that since it is chick lit oriented.

message 4: by Tara (last edited Feb 23, 2010 12:23PM) (new)

Tara I put See Jane Write on hold at the library already. I should be able to pick it up by tomorrow. That would be a good one to start off with for March.

If we did a chapter a week, we could put what we learned in each chapter. We could say Chapters 1-4 for week one or something like that. Have a folder for each section of chapters we read. Would that work?

message 5: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) Sounds good to me!

message 6: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 236 comments Mod
I'm in...I'd like to even reread the Jane book...I actually took notes on it before..but Like I said I slacked for so long...so it'd be a great way to get back into it for me...

message 7: by Cathy (new)

So do we want to have a vote on which book to read next month (or not necessarily month, but however long it takes us to go through it chapter by chapter)? Or have peopel deceided that See Jane Write is the one they'd like to start with?

Another good book is the Fiction Writer's Workshop Fiction Writer's Workshop by Josip Novakovich . We used this in a creative writing course I took in college. It has great resources for how tos and a lot of exercises to use for practice writing.

message 8: by Tara (new)

Tara I would like to start with See Jane Write. I would vote for that one.

message 9: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) What we could also do is just great a new topic whenever some reads a different book and then they can write what they have learned in that section and possibly recommend it to someone else.

message 10: by Cathy (new)

That is a great idea..and as otehrs read the same one they can post info too...perfect! I'll start settign up some folders..

Makes sense cause this is more about writng anywyas so our monthly challenge/focus can stay on the writing portion of it all and people can read when they have time.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Great, can't wait! Half of writing is reading and growing your knowledge.

~Tomorrow doesn't show anything but today's misfortunes reborn~

message 12: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) This is a great idea.
I have another one on my To Read list: Will Write for Shoes: How to Write a Chick Lit Novel, and Janet Evanovich wrote one as well: How I Write: Secrets of a Bestselling Author.

After reading the first two books of the Heather Wells series by Meg Cabot, I'd be really interested in writing a chick lit mystery.

message 13: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) Thanks for sharing different parts of See Jane Write. I definitely will check out this book or others once I finish the writing book I am currently reading. I will definitely refer to the book mentioned above and use the bookshelf for this group as a reference tool.

message 14: by Mona (new)

Mona | 5 comments Because I am always looking around for books that can help me teach writing to my students, I came across a neat book called "Courage and Craft- Writing Your Life Into a Story". I picked it up because I have really been drawn to writing about my life and my experiences and this particular book has some great exercises in it to get started. Thought I would share with you guys too! :-) I haven't started it yet, but hope to soon.

message 15: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) Sounds great, thanks Mona!

message 16: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) Mona wrote: "Because I am always looking around for books that can help me teach writing to my students, I came across a neat book called "Courage and Craft- Writing Your Life Into a Story". I picked it up beca..."

Sounds like another one I need to add to my list!:)
Thanks Mona!

message 17: by Mona (new)

Mona | 5 comments You are very welcome! :-)

message 18: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joelizrado) | 12 comments I second Will Write for Shoes How to Write a Chick Lit Novel by Cathy Yardley

message 19: by Cathy (new)

Joanne wrote: "I second Will Write for Shoes How to Write a Chick Lit Novel by Cathy Yardley"

I havent' fully finished Will Write for Shoes How to Write a Chick Lit Novel by Cathy Yardley but read a good amount of it...you relaly liked it?? Did you try See Jane Write A Girl's Guide to Writing Chick Lit by Sarah Mlynowski ? Just wondering if they are really as similar as they seem? Still each has their own good info I'm sure....

message 20: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joelizrado) | 12 comments I bought it but I haven't read it yet, If it becomes our book of the month I will let you know what I think!

message 21: by Cathy (new)

Joanne wrote: "I bought it but I haven't read it yet, If it becomes our book of the month I will let you know what I think!"

I should prob change the title of this thread...but we actually decided against having a book of the month since we all do so much other reading...instead everyone has been posting books that either they use to help them write or inspired them to write, etc..

Also, we have another thread with monthly writing challenges instead to help motivate some practice writing...

Glad you got the book though!! PLease share with us and let us know what you think or if you get any good tips out of it when you dive into it.

message 22: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) I've been bad and have not visited this group in a while.
I got See Jane Write and Will Write for Shoes a few weeks ago but just started reading See Jane Write. I'm loving it and it is full of extremely helpful stuff. Plus it's really cool because it gives insights from a bunch of chick lit authors which really helps bring them down to more of a "normal person" level for me.
I feel really encouraged by this book. I started getting an idea of what I wanted to write about last weekend and starting coming up with character names.
Then, as I was reading it at lunch today, I stopped and jotted down eight different first lines for my book. I'm really excited about this.
Now I've just got to figure out a way to buckle down and get writing into my daily schedule - which isn't going to be easy because I'm starting online classes tomorrow again. At a different college too, so I don't really know what to expect yet.

message 23: by Cathy (new)

Stacy wrote: "I've been bad and have not visited this group in a while.
I got See Jane Write and Will Write for Shoes a few weeks ago but just started reading See Jane Write. I'm loving it and it is full of ex..."

I'm so with you on this Stacy - I still can't seem to get writing into my daily schedule...today was the first day I tried to write in a looong time and I kept falling asleep cause I didnt' relaly know what to write down....back to the drawing (writing?) board for me I guess....good luck!!
Glad to hear the book is inspiring you too!

message 24: by Tara (new)

Tara Cathy wrote: "Stacy wrote: "I've been bad and have not visited this group in a while.
I got See Jane Write and Will Write for Shoes a few weeks ago but just started reading See Jane Write. I'm loving it and it..."

I am having the same issues. I started my character sketch but just can't seem to find the time to get back into it. The weather is turning nice and I finding it hard to concentrate on anything but being outside.

message 25: by Cathy (new)

Tara wrote: "Cathy wrote: "Stacy wrote: "I've been bad and have not visited this group in a while.
I got See Jane Write and Will Write for Shoes a few weeks ago but just started reading See Jane Write. I'm lo..."

Sometimes just making small goals for yourself that are reasonably attainable might help...that's partially why I created the discussion section where we can post our goals and help encourage and motivate each other:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_...

I always hear that writing will only get better through daily practice...if you make it part of your daily routine, it gets easier and easier and vice versa...once you get in the habit of not writing everyday it's hard to get back into your work......Much easier said than done I know:))

message 26: by Tara (new)

Tara I heard the same thing Cathy. Writing a little every day will help. It's just getting myself to do it everyday is the issue. LOL!

message 27: by Cathy (new)

Tara wrote: "I heard the same thing Cathy. Writing a little every day will help. It's just getting myself to do it everyday is the issue. LOL!"

I hear ya..I'm the same...trying but still not there yet...

message 28: by Cathy (new)

I just wanted to share with anyone who is interested that I've been listening to How I Write: Secrets of a Bestselling Author by Janet Evanovich - and I am absolutely loving it! I was kiind of nervous to try it out because i thought I didn't want to write a whodunnit but this is a wonderful book that gives great ideas, suggestions and tips for fiction writing in general! Sure, if you're writing a series, a mystery or an adventure story (as JE refers to her Stephanie Plum series), you may get even more out of her book, but I don't feel in any way like I'm missing out on anything just form a fiction and writing standpoint alone.

I'll post some of the ideas she shared in another thread as I remember them or com eacross them but I am so glad I bought this CD (It was at a local discount store for 3.99 - how could I pass that up:))

message 29: by Cathy (new)

I just added one more book to the group Pen on Fire: A Busy Woman's Guide to Igniting the Writer Within. I'd seen it at the bookstore a few times and finally heard from some other women that they really enjoyed it and inspired them to fit writing into their busy schedules...might be worth checking out!