Terminalcoffee discussion

Food / Drink > Sweet potato fries: An improvement on the old standard, or icky beyond belief?

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17334 comments Mod
Everyone seems to be on the sweet potato fry bandwagon except me. I'd like regular old Idaho russet fries, please.
Sweet potatoes are great baked, or mashed, or in a casserole, but I don't want them instead of plain ol white fries.
Call me a fry racist if you will, but I like what I like. How about you?

message 2: by Sally, la reina (new)

Ok, I can see your reasoning here. But I'm saying you just ordered a buffalo sloppy joe and a beer and the waiter says "what kind of fries do you want with that? Sweet potato or regular?"

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I like both, as long as they're good. I don't like the mushy sweet potato fries that some restaurants have, but really good ones (a little bit of seasoning, a little bit of olive oil) are excellent.
Preferably with mango ketchup.

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

No, no. You have to choose. Face off.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Fine. Sweet potato for me.

message 6: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I'm staying on that wagon..I love sweet potato fries I feel less guilty eating them because they are better for you.

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

You people are like herding cats today. Nobody wants to play by the rules, everyone is making all sorts of modifications to the topics.

I must be in extra need of a margarita or a cigarette today and all I can do is go for a slow waddle around the block.

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I like unhealthy, fattening, artery-clogging regular fries and I'm not afraid to say so. Since I only eat FFs about once a month I think I can have what I want without it killing me.

message 9: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Feb 23, 2010 11:58AM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I've never been that crazy about regular french fries, unless they have onion salt or something on them.
And I lurvvvve sweet potatoes! :)

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments If I have to choose, I will happily choose sweet potato fries. So there.

message 11: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Feb 23, 2010 01:40PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments King Dinösaur wrote: "Sweet potato fries are the Food of the Gods. Quality Burrito, here in Olympia, has the best - and the two sauces they serve with them rule, as well. Either chipotle or cilantro. Yummm!!!"

Huh, I thought I already praised QB in this thread, but now I don't see it... But yes! Yum!

message 12: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 23, 2010 02:17PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I think I'd go with sweet potato fries, but often it depends on the kind of fries. Are they the thin kind? Thick? Who's making them?

Oops. I think that's the kind of talk to which Sally is referring in post #9.

I guess I won't bring up tater tots, then, either.

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

No, I want sweet potato talk.

I'm sorry you guys, I'm being really weird and bitchy it seems lately, calling you cats and me the herder.

I just ... I have no excuse. Why try to control the thread? They all turn to cheese and poo eventually.

(though I wish they'd all turn to Tom Selleck Waterfall Sandwich)

message 14: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments Sweeeeeeeeeet potato!

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

message 16: by Sally, la reina (new)

There has been a lot of tater tot talk, I might have to go get myself some.

message 17: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments Tater tots are magnificent. With a side of beer.

I choose sweet potato fries where they are available. You can also buy frozen ones to make at home in the oven, but I never seem to get them to come out right.

message 18: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24262 comments Mod
I eat a lot of sweet potato in my regular diet, so sweet potato fries don't seem all that necessary to me, although I do like them. I probably prefer a serving of good quality potato fries.

message 19: by Youndyc (new)

Youndyc | 1255 comments I had sweet potato tots earlier this year - fantastic! The best of both worlds - it's sweet potato as a tot! How can one go wrong with that combination? One can't.

message 20: by Sally, la reina (new)

message 21: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4289 comments I wonder if Tom is a tot man.

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) He's an old man.

message 23: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4289 comments Old men like tots too.

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) True.

message 25: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Sometimes they like tots too much.

message 26: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

What is that bulge coming out of the bottom of his right thigh?

message 27: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4289 comments Yes. What is that? It looks a bit inflamed to me.

message 28: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

5-inch wide insect bite, maybe?

message 29: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) | 488 comments Ick. I don't like sweet potatoes, and even frying them doesn't help. I'm not a huge fan of tater tots, either. I mean they're okay, but... meh.

My preferred fries are thick cut steak fries, either those found in diners or belgian-style chip shops.

message 30: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments And are they really sweet potatoes, or are they substituting the poorer cousin, yams.

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I yam what I yam.

message 32: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

No, yams look and taste different. Yams have purple flesh and aren't as sweet.

message 33: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4289 comments I've had a sweet potato scallop. I think I prefer the white potato. What I really don't like is chicken flavoured salt on my hot chips.

message 34: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

What is a sweet potato scallop? You're not referring to the thing from the ocean, are you?

message 35: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) | 488 comments Yams actually aren't really found in the US. What most people call yams are just sweet potatoes.

message 36: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Lobstergirl wrote: "What is a sweet potato scallop? You're not referring to the thing from the ocean, are you?"

She means scalloped sweet potatoes.

message 37: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven)

message 38: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I wondered if she meant that.

message 39: by evie (last edited Jun 20, 2012 11:40PM) (new)

evie (ecie) | 4289 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "What is a sweet potato scallop? You're not referring to the thing from the ocean, are you?"

No. It's a thin slice of potato, battered, and deep fried.

message 40: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Oh! Deep fried potato slices. Got it. So it's not scalloped potatoes.

message 41: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4289 comments Correct. We call them potato scallops. They are usually eaten with fish and chips with lots of salt and lemon, or vinegar . They'll kill you if you eat enough of them. They are yummy.

message 42: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Misha wrote: "As a general rule, I don't like sweet potatoes. I've never tried sweet potato fries, but I'd be reluctant to do so. Something abut sweet potatoes is just sickeningly sweet to me. Blech."

I'm with Misha on the no sweet potato fries, but if I'm going to have fries, I want 'em seasoned, like Arby's or Rally's.

message 43: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Oh no, I do not want them seasoned. Regular, with salt is all I want. And ketchup.

message 44: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Totally gross. Can't do it. I can eat a yam like my mom makes for Thanksgiving baked in a ton of butter/brown sugar/pineapple juice. But, a sweet potato? Never had one I liked in any form. Blech!

message 45: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I just noticed McDonalds serves a sweet potato pie now. It's like the apple pie, an oblong pastry.

message 46: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) *throws up a little bit*