Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2010 Challenge Archive > FAC: Johanna Lindsey (March 2010)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 142 (142 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Johanna Lindsey

March's Featured Author is Johanna Lindsey. She wrote her first book, Captive Bride in 1977 "on a whim", and the book was a success. By 2006, with over 58 Million copies of her books have been sold worldwide, with translations appearing in 12 languages, Johanna Lindsey is one of the world's most popular authors of historical romance.

Johanna's books span the various eras of history, including books set in the Middle Ages, the American "Old West" and the popular Regency England-Scotland. She has even written a few sci-fi romances. By far the most popular among her books are the stories about the Malory-Anderson Family, a Regency England saga.

Challenge Task: Read one book written by our featured author
Challenge Duration: The whole month

To sign up:
Post your interest and the book you are planning to read.

You must also signify if you are:
A - I'm a big fan! I'm excited to read another of her books.
B - Familiar with her work, and wouldn't mind reading her again.
C - Totally new to this author. Will see how I like it.
D - Didn't like the last one I've read, but willing to give it another chance.

To complete:
Post the date when you've completed your book.

You must also say if, after reading:
A - would definitely look at her other books, since I've enjoyed this one very much.
B - could take it or leave it. Was not an unpleasant experience but I'm not burning rubber to get to her other books.
C - Oh well, I tried. Definitely not my cup of tea.

A little review of the book read is welcomed but not required.

message 2: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Apr 16, 2010 02:48PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments *placeholder for participants*

A
Jeannie
Renee - A Man to Call My Own3/31 A
Hilda
Patricia - Home for the Holidays 3/25 A
Alexis
Kimberly - Marriage Most Scandalous3/15 B

B
Delicious Dee - A Rogue of My Own 3/21 ?
Yz - Say You Love Me 3/12 B
Melissa
BJ Rose - No Choice But Seduction: 2/8 B
Nicola - Warrior's Woman
Annvelwis - Tender Rebel 3/23 B
Harper - A Loving Scoundrel 3/26 B
Barbara - The Devil Who Tamed Her
Judy - The Devil Who Tamed Her 3/12 C
Sallie - Captive of My Desires3/2 B
Carrie -
~♥ Kat ♥~ - Savage Thunder 2/6 B or Until Forever
Nikki - Tender Rebel2/6 A
Lindy-lane - All I Need Is You
BookThumb - Gentle Rogue
Annie(a mad hamster) - Prisoner of My Desire 3/15 C
Tammy - Love Only Once
Donna - Love Only Once A?
Sara - Love Only Once3/6 A

C
Valerie - Heart of a Warrior
Stephanie - The Devil Who Tamed Her
Barbara *~Mihsery~* - Love Only Once 3/10 B
FlibBityFLooB - Gentle Rogue 3/16 A
Toni - The Devil Who Tamed Her 3/9 A
Samantha - Savage Thunder
Nita - Warrior's Woman 3/8 C
Debbie - The Present3/22 A
Ahrcadia ~(Fhantasie)~ - A Heart So Wild
Michelle - Captive Bride
Katherine -
Megan - The Heir or The Devil Who Tamed Her
Amanda - Love Only Once 2/5 A
Sherry - Heart of a Warrior3/1
Lili - Love Only Once 3/2 A or The Devil Who Tamed Her 3/15 C
Dalene - Love Only Once or The Devil Who Tamed Her 3/29 A
colleen - The Present 3/1 b
Samantha - A Pirate's Love
KimKirt - Gentle Rogue 3/3 ?
Mel W - The Devil Who Tamed Her 3/9 C
Jennefer - A Heart So Wild 3/31 A
Nairabell - The Devil Who Tamed Her
Kara - Heart of a Warrior3/7 C
Photojim - The Present3/2 C
Jane - Home for the Holidays3/7 A
Carla - Once a Princess 3/31 B
Sandra - Warrior's Woman 3/18 B
Katia - The Heir 3/5 A
Erin - The Heir 3/1 B
Carolyn F - Captive of My Desires
Ronica - Home for the Holidays
Julia - All I Need Is You

D

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments i'm in, but not sure what book yet - i need an older one for my lifetime of reading challenge

message 4: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Deanna,

What category are you? A, B, C or D?

message 5: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I was a big fan when I was growing up, but its been a while since I've read a Johanna Lindsey book, so I'm dropping myself to a B.

Will post my title later, but it will definitely be a Malory book.

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments whoops...B (sorry, multi-tasking at work)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I'll skip this one this month. I've never heard of the author and out of just over 3800 books I own, I don't have a single one by her.

message 8: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments No problem, Briansgirl. : )

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (jedisakora) | 73 comments I'll do it. ^^ I have a few of hers sitting on my bookshelf i haven't read yet.

I'm a "B".

message 10: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Jeannie wrote: "yes, not sure which book, I have almost all her books, it will probably be one of the Mallory's
Jeannie"

Jeannie, Are you an A,B, C or D?

message 11: by Renee (new)

Renee | 231 comments I'm in I just have to find one I haven't read yet...

I fall in the 'A' category

message 12: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 295 comments I am in. I am definitely a C - Totally new to this author. Looking at her books, she seems to cover a wide range. I will try

Heart of a Warrior (Ly-San-Ter Family Series, #3) by Johanna Lindsey

because it the library has it in hardcover and audio, and it falls into the paranormal which is more my style these days.

message 13: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 4413 comments I'm in as well. I'll read Marriage Most Scandalous if the library has it - otherwise I'll choose a favorite medieval or Viking story from my library.

I used to be in the 'A' category, but have been disappointed in her latest books, so am now in the 'B' group.

message 14: by Fiendishly (new)

Fiendishly Bookish (fiendishlybookish) | 5 comments B Group
I'll read "Warrior's Woman" because it was an important departure for the genre and the very first sci-fi romance I'd ever read. It's hot!

message 15: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Hernandez (ShadowintheTwilight) | 44 comments I'm in. Not sure what book just yet, but I def fall into category A - I'm a big fan! I'm excited to read another of her books. I really enjoy her books and have read a good amount so I'm excited to begin a new one.

message 16: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Feb 23, 2010 12:07PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Nicola,

Saw your post in the invite, and I can't help but laugh, since when I was a teenager, I also have a huge crush on Anthony Malory. :)

message 17: by Fiendishly (new)

Fiendishly Bookish (fiendishlybookish) | 5 comments Yz I KNOW! He was like the hottest character. You know...the one that really fit the "rakish" profile.

message 18: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Nicola wrote: "Yz I KNOW! He was like the hottest character. You know...the one that really fit the "rakish" profile."

My girlfriends used to talk about Anthony and James as if they were real. *giggles*

message 19: by Annvelwis (new)

Annvelwis | 671 comments Hmm, I think I'm somewhere between A and B (closer to the B) category.
I plan to read Tender Rebel.

message 20: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Feb 23, 2010 12:45PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Annvelwis wrote: "Hmm, I think I'm somewhere between A and B (closer to the B) category.
I plan to read Tender Rebel."

You will get to meet Anthony Malory...the lovable rake Nicola and I are talking about. :)

message 21: by Annvelwis (new)

Annvelwis | 671 comments I remember him a bit from Love Only Once, heh. He was definietly one of the reasons I liked the book. I'm looking forward to meeting him again, heh.

message 22: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Annvelwis wrote: "I remember him a bit from Love Only Once, heh. He was definietly one of the reasons I liked the book. I'm looking forward to meeting him again, heh."

I could care less about Nicolas and Regina...LOL...all I wanted when I read Love Only Once, was to get more info about the dashing Uncle Tony... : )

message 23: by Annvelwis (new)

Annvelwis | 671 comments Yz the Whyz wrote: "I could care less about Nicolas and Regina...LOL...all I wanted when I read Love Only Once, was to get more info about the dashing Uncle Tony... : )"

Heh, It WAS great introduction to his story, wasn't it? ;D
As for Nick and Reggie... well, I liked the story and very much enjoyed it, but more than once I wished I could slap some sense into Nick.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm a 'C'. I've always wanted to read one of her books, but just haven't picked up one. I'm going to read Love Only Once.

message 25: by FlibBityFLooB (new)

FlibBityFLooB I'm totally new to Johanna Lindsey. I think I'd like to read Gentle Rogue. Anyone know if it is a problem if I don't read the first two books in that series before reading book 3?

message 26: by Pickles (new)

Pickles (angstypickles) | 387 comments I'm in! When I was younger I would have classified myself in the 'A' category (I loved her Malory series), but since I haven't read a JL book in years, I'm going to say I'm a 'B.'

I'll be reading A Loving Scoundrel (Book 7, Malory Family) by Johanna Lindsey .

message 27: by Toni (new)

Toni | 255 comments I'm in but will post which book later. I'm in the "C" catergory.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 5294 comments I know I said yes on the invite, but these so do not look like my kind of books. Isn't there a romantic comedy or a sexy contemporary in the bunch? And definitely no 14 part family saga.

message 29: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 3516 comments I used to love her books not sure when (or why) I stopped reading her. I can't remember what I've read but I do know that I have The Devil Who Tamed Her so I will read that one. I'm a B.

message 30: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1381 comments I'm in! I'm going to read Savage Thunder
and I definitely fall in the C category.

message 31: by Judy (new)

Judy I'm in for this challenge. I'm going to read "The Devil Who Tamed Her." "Love Only Once" is the only other book by her that I have read and I liked it-so I guess that makes me a "B."

message 32: by ~Sara~ (new)

~Sara~ | 659 comments I'm a C and I'll read Love Only Once. I'm a sucker for family/best friends romance series.

message 33: by Pickles (new)

Pickles (angstypickles) | 387 comments Photojim wrote: "I know I said yes on the invite, but these so do not look like my kind of books. Isn't there a romantic comedy or a sexy contemporary in the bunch? And definitely no 14 part family saga."

I don't think she writes contemporary from what I remember. She has a time travel book that is set in the present and then in medieval times and she has a sci-fi romance set in the future called Warrior's Woman.

message 34: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments FlibBityFLooB wrote: "I'm totally new to Johanna Lindsey. I think I'd like to read Gentle Rogue. Anyone know if it is a problem if I don't read the first two books in that series before reading book 3?"

The book can stand on its own, but maybe after reading it, you will be intrigued enough to meet the other characters.

message 35: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Feb 23, 2010 04:43PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Photojim wrote: "I know I said yes on the invite, but these so do not look like my kind of books. Isn't there a romantic comedy or a sexy contemporary in the bunch? And definitely no 14 part family saga."

Unfortunately, she primarily writes historicals. She has a trilogy of "sort of" futuristic romance, starting with Warrior's Woman. I don't know if that will interests you more.

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 1048 comments For my pick I am going to read Captive of My Desires Cat B

message 37: by Nita (new)

Nita (gillnit) I am in too! I will read Warrior's Woman (Ly-San-Ter Family Series, #1) by Johanna Lindsey . I am in category C.

message 38: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 2757 comments Johanna Lindsey has quite a collection, is shouldn't be too difficult to find one at the library.

Lets put me in category C - never read but willing to try.

message 39: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 11 comments I think I will have to sit this one out. :)

message 41: by Arcadia (new)

Arcadia Barrile (braintasiabooks) I'm a C, and I'll be reading A Heart So Wild.

message 42: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (bookstorechick) | 4 comments C - Totally new to this author. Will see how I like it.

I have several in my TBR ... I'm going to pick Captive Bride.

message 43: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Solla (tedebear1998) | 244 comments I'm an A and I'm going to try doing this challange in March but don't know which book yet.

message 44: by Mojca (new)

Mojca | 1338 comments I'm skipping this one.
I've heard of her only in passing and don't own or have TBR-marked any of her books.

message 45: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 816 comments I'll sign up

B - Familiar with her work, and wouldn't mind reading her again.

Don't know what book I want to read though.

message 46: by Katherine (last edited Mar 08, 2010 05:53AM) (new)

Katherine (kebrand0112) I'm in.
C - Totally new to this author. Will see how I like it.
I believe I am going for Love Only Once.
Love Only Once (Malory Family, Book 1) by Johanna Lindsey

Okay, I just read Captive Bride and it was not my favorite. I'm still planning on reading Love Only Once, but that might be it for her books.

message 47: by Megan (new)

Megan (mshheaddoc) | 7 comments C - going to read The Heir or Devil Who Tamed Her ... probably Devil Who Tamed her because I have to get The Heir back to the library :)

message 48: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 24, 2010 06:29AM) (new)

OK I'll go for this one. Johanna Lindsey was a favorite of mine back when I first started reading romance novels, but I've since out grown her so I guess I fall into the B catagory.

I'm going to read: Savage Thunder (Wyoming Series, Book 2) by Johanna Lindsey or Until Forever by Johanna Lindsey both are re-reads for me but they were two of my favorites about 15 years ago, it's nice to have an excuse to re-read one of these books.

message 49: by Nikki ♥ (new)

Nikki ♥ I'm in. I fit into the "B" category. I'll probably read Tender Rebel.

message 50: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 763 comments I'm in. I fall into the C category. I've never read any of her books but have been wanting to. I'll be reading Love Only Once.

« previous 1 3