What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

A Crystal Age
This topic is about A Crystal Age
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > Fiction/fantasy: A botanist's adventure [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt | 2 comments Here's all I remember of the plot:

The main character (a botanist?) falls unconscious in a forest, and wakes up covered in growth... he gets cleaned up, and realizes he is quite lost.

After stumbling around for a while, he comes across a funeral procession, which he observes from the bushes. The people he sees are all wearing remarkable clothes.

He is discovered, and taken to the people's house. This whole community lives in a great stone mansion that is very old, so old that the people had forgotten that it had ever been built. He is brought before their leader, a great mother/matriarch.

He tries to explain the world he came from (which was England, late 19th century maybe?) to these people, who find his story very strange.

I remember that these people lived in harmony with animals and nature.

The man was eventually allowed to join their community, and was given his own set of clothes, which he was told would take years of work to pay off. He was assigned to do some work in the forest.

Eventually he finds out that the people living there are all very old, I think. He discovers that their idyllic society was only possible because they have purged all romantic love from their nature. Everyone is "brother" or "sister", they are all led by a "mother". Sometimes the people would sing together in a way that the main character found incredibly moving.

At the end, the main character dies of poisoning for a reason that I do not remember.

Does ANYONE know what book I'm talking about? I believe it is about 100 years old.

message 2: by Matt (new)

Matt | 2 comments Nearly two years later, I found it. The book was "A Crystal Age" by W.H Hudson.