Outlander Series discussion

Archived > Drums of Autumn

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan I was currently listening to DOA on audio but had to give up. Not for the reason it was terrible, but my discs kept skipping around randomly. It got pretty confusing when Bree and Roger were having a conversation, then it suddenly switched to Jamie and Claire!

But, I do have a comment/question. Was there any point in part one of the book? The hanging stuff seemed to go on forever. Same for the bathing in the river scene. These chapters almost read like short stories to me and I just couldn't see how they relate to the book. That being said, I didn't get much further because of the above mentioned problem plus I read the book years ago and don't remember much, but do these events have any bearing on what is to happen further on in the book?

message 2: by Lady (new)

Lady England | 91 comments If you're referring to Roger's hanging...yes, it is very important to the next books. I can't remember what bathing in the river scene you're referring to. Is it when Roger kisses his great-grandmother?

message 3: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 322 comments It's probably when all the guys go swimming naked. :)

message 4: by Lady (new)

Lady England | 91 comments The guys swimming naked is a fun visual.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan No, it is when Claire is ready to take a dip in the river to wash up, misses Jamie terribly and starts touching herself and he comes upon her.

message 6: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 322 comments Oh that scene. Super hot (literally).

message 7: by Katelyn (new)

Katelyn | 14 comments Susan wrote: "I was currently listening to DOA on audio but had to give up. Not for the reason it was terrible, but my discs kept skipping around randomly. It got pretty confusing when Bree and Roger were having..."

I just started reading DOA, and I just finished part 1 today. I curious to know too. It was a good 40 pages of useless information, dont get me wrong, it made for a great story!
The hanging of Gavin, Jamie's friend from prison. And the water scene with Claire on the rock, is that what your referning to right?

message 8: by EvaS (last edited Feb 23, 2010 01:22PM) (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 345 comments I truly feel that every part of the story has a point... Diana is great at making random events/things reappear later as pivotal moments in the story. I can't, in all good conscience, skip any part. I enjoy her writing too much to glaze over anyting.

Gavin's hanging (as well as J&C’s help with Bonnet’s escape from the same hanging) is a huge thing later on! HUGE!

And the part in the river...... c'mon that was awesome! Why would you glaze over THAT?!?!

message 9: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 322 comments You're right Eva - it's like this huge puzzle with little pieces in between connecting huge events.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan Katelyn - yes that is what I meant.

Eva - I didn't glaze over any part of the story, rather my cd player did :) I'll get back to it later, but just from that first section I couldn't see what those events had to do with the overall story. Now I see I'm in for a big surprise!

message 11: by EvaS (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 345 comments Susan wrote: "Katelyn - yes that is what I meant.

Eva - I didn't glaze over any part of the story, rather my cd player did :) I'll get back to it later, but just from that first section I couldn't see what thos..."

Aha. I just re-read you post. Sorry... I knew no one would willingly skip a section like that ;^)

message 12: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 564 comments Just read it pay attention. Everything Diana wrote has a point and are connected. It's like a spider web. If they do not appear later in the same book, they will be in the next one.

Again, just follow the story line and be patient. Diana wouldn't leave anything hanging loose.

message 13: by Allison (new)

Allison | 25 comments Wan wrote: "Just read it pay attention. Everything Diana wrote has a point and are connected. It's like a spider web. If they do not appear later in the same book, they will be in the next one.

Again, jus..."

I agree, Diana is very good about bringing things full circle. For example at the hanging, Bonnett was supposed to hang as well but he doesn't and then Jamie's helps him escape saying he hopes hes not making a mistake. If that whole scene did happen then we wouldn't have any of the drama that happens later in the story.

As for the bathing in the river, that's one good scene. I don't care if it was in left field (which I don't think it was) that was a great scene.