Chick Lit Writers discussion

Authors > Your Favorite Authors

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 236 comments Mod
Has anyone inspired you to write? Do you prefer anyone's style of writing over another? Do you have a favorite author for any other reason? Please share your thoughts here.

message 2: by Tara (new)

Tara I would say Debbie Macomber and Sarah Mylnowski have inspired me to write. I love Sarah's books and her writing style.

message 3: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) Thanks to Tara's recommendation I have just finished my first Debbie Macomber book, and I can definitely see where you can get inspired by her. I have wanted to write since...well...forever. More recently Jennifer Weiner, Meg Cabot, and Jen Lancaster have been some pretty motivating authors.

I like Meg Cabot because she writes books for adults and young adults, they can be funny but also be not your cookie cutter chick lit book (read Airhead).

Jen Lancaster writes exactly how I talk. She uses footnotes and I often talk like that where I talk all over the place because saying one thing reminds me of something else. I also LOVE memoir like books, and was excited to finally read one from a POV of a woman.

message 4: by Tara (new)

Tara I am so glad you liked 16 Lighthouse Road. I would love to write like Debbie Macomber.

I hear you on the talking like Jen Lancaster writes. I do the same thing. I always says it Tara's Random Thoughts. LOL!

message 5: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) Hahaha I had a friend once who told me that they needed a road map to follow a conversation with me...I tend to take a lot of detours from my actual point.

message 6: by Cathy (new)

haha..ditto here...

I feel bad for people sometimes..swear I can actually see their eyes falling backwards in their heads as I am droning on and on about some side tangent from the main conversation..and then getting back to t he main point...did I lose you yet even??

It's bad...real bad..and writing too...I think I will need to learn the art of being concise

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments Oops, I kinda answered this one in the favorite books thread.

My mom loves Debbie Macomber, but I've never read any of her books.

Lately my favorite author has been Emily Giffin. I love the little details she has in her books.

I find Sarah Dessen inspiring. I've read her blog and she seems really down to earth and like someone you could be friends with. I like how her lead female characters always have unique names. Also, I read her first book and her most recent book, and it was really interesting to see how much she has grown as a writer.

I also love Jen Lancaster, but I'm not naturally funny so I'd rather read her stuff than attempt to write anything!

message 8: by Cathy (new)

I too love Emily Giffin....mostly because she is real and unexpected...who else can write a great novel about a woman who steals her best friend's fiance and we still love her as a main character...well maybe opinions differ on the Darcy vs. Rachel thing but you know what I mean...
I only read one book by Beth Harbison (Shoe Addicts Anonymous) but I also really liked her writing...I thought she was creative, unique and catching....I couldn't put it down...
That's my hope for my own writing: to be an innovative page turner

message 9: by Cathy (new)

I haven't read anything by Kristin Harmel yet, but the title, How to Sleep With a Movie Star, alone has attracted me to her big time! I've seen on mediabistro.com (a writer's resource website) that she teaches classes online and in person to write Chick Lit

http://www.mediabistro.com/courses/ca...

www.kristinharmel.com

message 10: by Stacy (last edited Feb 25, 2010 07:00AM) (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) Ok, I posted favorite authors in the favorite books thread and realized I need to add some more!
Beth Kendrick, Kristin Harmel, Beth Harbison and Louise Rennison!

message 11: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) I do love Beth Harbison, she reminds me of Jennifer Weiner a lot. And of course Louise Rennison is close to my young adult heart.

message 12: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) Alicia wrote: "And of course Louise Rennison is close to my young adult heart."

LOL! Same here Alicia, same here. She's just so fabbity fab!

message 13: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments I just finished the Georgia Nicolson series. :( I hate that it's over. I want to reread them all now.

message 14: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) Suzanne wrote: "I just finished the Georgia Nicolson series. :( I hate that it's over. I want to reread them all now."

I know, I have the last one left to read. I've been posting them on PBS and BM when I'm done with them and now I'm wishing I hadn't because I want to save them for my daughter.

message 16: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) I read Firefly Lane this summer, it was great. I can't wait to read more of Kristin Hannah's work.

message 17: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) I read Between Sisters by Kristin Hannah by Kristin Hannah. I read the book in a week. Very good!

message 18: by Tara (last edited Feb 28, 2010 12:07PM) (new)

Tara I am now a big Melissa Senate fan. I finished The Secret of Joy on Friday and started The Breakup Club Saturday morning. I have about 50 pages left and I will be done. I can't believe I read that book in a weekend.

[image error] The Breakup Club (Red Dress Ink) by Melissa Senate

message 19: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) I have The Breakup Club waiting for me to read, glad you liked it. I think I have read most of her books, but not her YA one I think it is called Theodora Twist or something.

message 20: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) Alicia wrote: "I have The Breakup Club waiting for me to read, glad you liked it. I think I have read most of her books, but not her YA one I think it is called Theodora Twist or something."

I just got that on my Kindle!

message 21: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) I just thought I would share this article: Kristin Hannah go to her website or visit her fan page on facebook. Sorry that I don't know how to do the link for the article. The article is about writing and relationships and how all that came together for the writing of Winter Garden.

message 22: by Cathy (new)

Jencey wrote: "I just thought I would share this article: Kristin Hannah go to her website or visit her fan page on facebook. Sorry that I don't know how to do the link for the article. The artic..."

Hi Jencey....just go to the facebook page and then copy the web address at the very top by highlighting it and pressing Ctrl+C to copy...then paste it here by pressing Ctrl+V to Paste...I"m sure we can all find it but just in case you want to know how to do it in the future...

message 23: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) Thank you Cathy. :)

message 24: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) Okay here is the link I think...

Interview: New York Times Bestselling Author Kristin Hannah on Writing and Relationships
blogcritics.org

message 25: by Tara (new)

Tara Thanks Jencey!

message 26: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) FYI Jennifer Weiner is accepting questions about writing and reading from her fans on facebook. Fan her on facebook and submit your questions under the most recent status.

message 27: by Cathy (new)

Jencey wrote: "FYI Jennifer Weiner is accepting questions about writing and reading from her fans on facebook. Fan her on facebook and submit your questions under the most recent status."

Cool! Thanks Jencey. Have you posted any questions yet? I'll have to check it out soon.

message 28: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) I have posted a couple of questions in regards to where I am with my writing career.