Chick Lit Writers discussion

Books > Your Favorite Books

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 236 comments Mod
I've heard that the key to becoming a great author (besides writing a lot) is to read a lot. Please share your favorite books with us. Whether they've helped you write, or you just loved the story or author.

message 2: by Tara (new)

Tara My favorite books are all the Sophie Kinsella books...Confessions of a Shopahilic series, Undomestic Goddess and definitely Twenties Girl. I love all of Debbie Macomber's books. I am a fan of Danielle Steel, Stephen King, Sherryl Woods, Sarah Mylnowski, Jane Green, Carole Matthews, and lots more.

message 3: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) My favorites for fiction are Jennifer Weiner (In Her Shoes is my favorite), Sophie Kinsella, Sarah Mlynowski, and Meg Cabot. I also love more memoir-like books like Jen Lancaster, David Sedaris and Augusten Burroughs. Like books that can make me laugh out loud and later hope my writing will do the same for others.

message 4: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments My favorite lately has been Emily Giffin. I even think her writing is similar to mine in some ways (although I'm not nearly as good of course!) I also love Sophie Kinsella and Sarah Dessen.

One thing I want to change about my book (one of my ideas) is that the girl does NOT get the guy in the end. I know a lot of people won't like it, but in real life, some girls (aka ME) don't get the guy! So many of the YA books I've read lately, even though I love them, the girl is going through some kind of issue in her life and a boy comes along and then it solves everything.

message 5: by Cathy (new)

I just got Will Write for Shoes by Cathy Yardley in the Mail from PBS today! Yay..I will keep everyone posted as to how it is....you can read a lot of it as a free preview on google boks:)

message 6: by Cathy (last edited Feb 24, 2010 09:04AM) (new)

While I have not read any of these (although I own two), these three collections of short stories would probably give people a good idea of how various women's fiction writers hone their craft:

Girls Night In Girls Night In by Lauren Henderson

Girls' Night Out Girls' Night Out by Carole Matthews

American Girls About Town: They're Not Just the Girls Next Door.... American Girls About Town They're Not Just the Girls Next Door.... by Jennifer Weiner

message 7: by Tara (new)

Tara I have all three of those books. I read Girls Night Out.

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Tara, did you think they were useful to at least get a flavor of a variety of Chick Lit writing?

message 9: by Tara (last edited Feb 24, 2010 09:10AM) (new)

Tara I did think they were useful. You get to see the different writing styles of the authors in one book. I like reading short stories.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Christine Feehan

Rachel Caine

John Steinbeck

~Tomorrow doesn't show anything but today's misfortunes reborn~

message 11: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) My favorite authors are (in no particular order): Sophie Kinsella, Sarah Mylnowski, Jane Green, Carole Matthews, Jennifer Weiner, Meg Cabot. Emily Giffin, Brenda Janowitz, Janet Evanovich, Deank Koontz, John Saul, Liza Palmer, Joanna Edwards...and many, many more...

message 12: by Cathy (new)

Dean Koontz is definitely my fave psychological thriller writer...for some reason False Memory sticks out in my mind as a great book...what do people think about the Chick Lit mystery genre or even paranormal CL??

I just orered Jennifer Sturman's The Pact, the Key and the Jinx (RDI chick lit mysteries)...anyone know if theyre good?

As an asprining author it is my dream to write a Chick lit/Women's Fiction book, a mystery and an autobiography (or biography)...if I could do a combo somehow that'd be cool too!

message 13: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) Cathy wrote: "Dean Koontz is definitely my fave psychological thriller writer...for some reason False Memory sticks out in my mind as a great book...what do people think about the Chick Lit mystery genre or even..."

I LOVE Dean Koontz - my favorite of his by far is The Taking.

message 14: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) Cathy:

I have read The Pact, it is really good. I have the rest of them sitting on my shelf waiting for me. Have you read Love You To Death by Melissa Senate? That is another good chick lit mystery.

message 15: by Cathy (new)

not yet, but i downloaded I think all of melissa senates books..the ebook versions...can't wait to try them!

message 16: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) I really like her. Her newest book (non RDI) The Secret of Joy was great.

message 17: by Tara (new)

Tara I am on Chapter 15 of The Secret of Joy. I love it!

message 18: by Cathy (new)

What about Sarah Mlynowski - those of you who read her - how is milkrun or me vs me? Her books are definitely at the top of my TBR list..at least their descriptions sound enticing

message 19: by Tara (new)

Tara I haven't read milkrun yet but I loved Me Vs. Me!

message 20: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) You have to read Me vs. Me. I loved that book, same with As Seen On TV. Has anyone read her young adult series, Magic in Manhattan? I LOVE those. She is such a great author. I enjoyed Milkrun, but I liked her other books better.

message 21: by Cathy (new)

Interesting...I always wonder with authors how much they change and grow and improve with each novel...sounds like it rings very true for Sarah Mlynowski

message 22: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) I've read Me vs. Me (GREAT book) and As Seen on TV (another great one) but I haven't read Milkrun yet. Didn't she write Fishbowl too? I read that a long time ago so I don't remember it, but I know I didn't hate it. :)

message 23: by Cathy (new)

Yes...I downloaded the ebook of Me Vs. Me and ordered Milrun adn Fishbowl from Bookmooch...Milkrun is actually at the top of my list to read..but keeps getting pushed aside for challenges and monthly reads...ay yi yi...even her YA series looks cool..

I like her story of how she became a writer too..I heard that she was working at a Publishing company so she submitted Milkrun under a ghostname or an anonymous name so they wouldn't judge her...and the success is just history now:)

message 24: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) Cathy wrote: "I like her story of how she became a writer too..I heard that she was working at a Publishing company so she submitted Milkrun under a ghostname or an anonymous name so they wouldn't judge her...and the success is just history now:)"

Oh wow, I didn't know that! That's really cool!

message 25: by Tara (new)

Tara I didn't know that either. I love her writing. I read As seen on TV too...also a great book. I have Monkey Business, Milkrun and Fishbowl at home but haven't had time to read them....maybe someday.

message 26: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 50 comments I love all her books too. My favorite is probably Me vs. Me but I've read them all. I have the first of the YA books at home but haven't read it yet.

message 27: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) I love that story on how she became an author...oh the heaven of working at a publishing house!

message 28: by Cathy (new)

I know...don't you wish we got to work at a publishing company? Although I'm sure like all jobs it has its down falls and i wonder if reading became my job if I'd actually enjoy as much as I do now...

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura Pepper (laurapepper) | 2 comments Ooh good topic!

The best books I have read this year are without a doubt:
Confessions of a Call Center Gal, Lisa Lim (A member of this group no less!) http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...

Tales from my Hard Drive, Megan Karasch http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11...

& The First Husband by Laura Dave http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/99...

Absolutely loved all three!