Chick Lit Writers discussion

General > Helpful Websites

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cgraceh) | 236 comments Mod
I have compiled a list of helpful wbsites. Please include any you have come across too...Some have interviews with authors, links to authors pages, book reviews and much much more!

www.chicklitwriters.com (A division of the Romance Writers of America)

www.chicklitbooks.com

www.chicklitclub.com

www.candycoveredbooks.com

www.chicklitchicks.com

message 3: by Tara (new)

Tara Great websites! Thanks Cathy!

message 4: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) http://www.jenniferweiner.com/forwrit...

I love this one. Jennifer Weiner talks about advice for writers, some it is fun too.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

These are more sites that authors use to keep their ideas and stuff, so some of them are blog sites.

thoughts.com

trashionista.com

bookwormom.com

romancingtheblog.com

~Tomorrow doesn't show anything but today's misfortunes reborn~

message 6: by Cathy (last edited Feb 25, 2010 06:07PM) (new)

I really like jen lancaster's site too...www.jennsylvania.com...it's more just funny but it shows another style one could choose to write I suppose...

in fact her blog today, is about how she became an author...basically, keep writing and writing and writing and writing...you get the picture :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

You could go on with the "and writing" forever; you should put up a story of 100 pages of just saying "keep writing and writing..." I bet it'd get a lot of money for it :) Oh, and Cathy, do you have a kid? Cause I'm new to parenthood and don't really have that much home help... and my baby learned "damn" from our neighbor today.

~Tomorrow doesn't show anything but today's misfortunes reborn~

message 8: by Cathy (new)

oh boy...kids will pick up on anything!!! I don't have kids (yet)...I'm getting married sometime within the next year and hopefully then we will be start "practicing" to have kids:)

message 9: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) I just started visiting Jen Lancaster's website. She cracks me up. I would love to have a glass of wine with her while watching The Real Housewives of Orange County. I am so excited that her next book is about reality TV because that is my true guilty pleasure.

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily (teaandscribbles) | 13 comments Once a week Shanna author of Enchanted Inc. does something on writing about once a week on her blog http://shanna-s.livejournal.com/. I like it because she also talks about publishing too

message 11: by Cathy (new)

I came across some helpful writing resources this morning:

www.oncewritten.com
Author resources, publishing ideas, how to successfully work from home, writing and reading tips

www.wow-womenonwriting.com/
Free online magazine to promotes communication between women writers, authors, editors, agents, publishers, and readers; interviews with authors; writing how-to articles, market listings for freelance writers, and a quarterly flash fiction contest.

message 12: by Cathy (new)

www.novelicious.com

This site has many reviews of Chick Lit books and it looks like every tuesday they come out with writing tips for aspiring authors. There's also links to a lot of authors pages.

message 13: by Cathy (new)

Another fabulous site taht I got from novelicious was http://www.andreasemple.com/index.htm

This site literally has endless resources for writers...girls, especially!

Check it out when you have an hour or two:)

message 14: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) Thanks Cathy for all these great websites and tips!

message 15: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacymarie913) I just saw this website as an ad on the side of the page here on GoodReads. Looks like it could be pretty helpful as well....

http://www.webook.com/

message 16: by Cathy (new)

Stacy wrote: "I just saw this website as an ad on the side of the page here on GoodReads. Looks like it could be pretty helpful as well....

http://www.webook.com/"

I've checked out this site before...looks like a great way to start your book one page at a time! I think they are doing short story contests now too...which could be motivating for April's Writing Challenge if anyone's interested....

message 17: by Tara (new)

Tara Thanks Stacy! I will have to check that out.

message 18: by Cathy (new)

Hi Everyone,

I found a website last week that's also an iPhone/iTouch application where you can write and save all your work on the web. You can create as many written documents as you want, it keeps track of the word count and also has a dictionary and thesaurus. You can access it from any computer, iTouch/iPhone or smartphone.

Check it out if you get a chance!

www.mywritingnook.com

message 19: by Cathy (new)

Hi all! Haven't checked in a while so I thought I'd drop a little note. I was out to dinner with my sister yesterday and was talking to her about our book and writing groups here. Being super successful in the Techie business, she suggested to me that I start being more active on sites like Facebook and Twitter.

While I already had accounts on both, i almost never used them. So today I friended and followed all my favorite authors (okay I still have more to search for, but I was getting carpal tunnel from all the typing). I figure why not start to build contacts even if not nearly ready to be published. It's fun to see what their up to and hear about book promos and just whatever else is going on in their lives.

So my suggestion to everyone, is why wait? If you haven't already, start today social networking today and build your publishing and writing contacts. Couldn't hurt, right?

message 20: by Jencey/ (new)

Jencey/ (jencey) I have been doing facebook and goodreads. I will add another site. I originially started doing it for the reasons Cathy mentions above. I was new to Georgia and didn't know anyone. Interesting thing is I have met more people all over the US and other countries but not in Georgia. So I highly recommend it.

message 21: by Cathy (new)

Cathy wrote: "I have compiled a list of helpful wbsites.....
www.chicklitclub.com..."

I know a lot of you probably always hear me talking about the latest book I was listening to...now you can read my reviews here:

www.chicklitclub.com/audio-books.html

Thanks again, Jencey for the info!!

message 22: by Cathy (new)

Hi all, I know it's been a long time and interest has faded in our group but I Just saw this post on another GR group and couldn't resist sharing -

"We'd like to gladly point everyone to http://www.ChickLitShorties.com :) "

Looks like a great opportunity to get some feedback on your chick lit writing. I guess Novelicious used to let you submit your CL writing as well for feedback but it's not clear that they do any longer (This was a year ago)

Please let us know if you will be submitting anything to either site. WOuld love to hear how it all goes. Thanks.

message 23: by Cathy (new)

For anyone who might not know, please spread the word that it is International Chick Lit Month!! THe first one ever! Join The Chick Lit Club, Novelicious, and Chick Lit is Not Dead to celebrate at:

http://internationalchicklitmonth.com/

This May and every May. There are countless guest posts; many with super helpful writing tips. Check it out and maybe you'll win a book or two:)