Outlander Series discussion

Archived > Whats one of your favorite quotes?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katelyn (new)

Katelyn | 14 comments One of my favorite quotes is: "Time does not really exist for mothers, with regard to their children. It does not matter greatly how old the child is-in the blink of an eye, a mother can see the child again as they were when they were born, when they learned how to walk, as they were at any age-at any time, even when the child is fully grown or a parent themselves." Its from Voyager, when Claire returns to the past, she goes to visit L'Hopital des Anges. She goes to the little grave yard to pay respects to her first child Faith. While Claire is looking at the head peace, Mother Hildegarde comes up behind her and says this.
I actually posted it as one of my faebook status' for my daughters 2 month birthday.

message 2: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments Loved that one for sure. every mother can relate and time goes by too fast. Thanks for sharing :)

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 235 comments :-)
So true.

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments i love the one - and blanking on the words right now - but the quote that is on the inside of her ring...i just got done listening to DFIA and had totally forgotten that scene and i was tearing up as i was driving...

the a thousand kisses and then a thousand more

message 5: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 259 comments "The dog would run a few steps toward the house, circle once or twice as though unable to decide what to do next, then run back into the wood, turn, and run again toward the house, all the while whining with agitation, tail low and wavering.
"Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ," I said. "Bloody Timmy's in the well!"
— Diana Gabaldon (A Breath of Snow and Ashes)

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments Wendy wrote: ""The dog would run a few steps toward the house, circle once or twice as though unable to decide what to do next, then run back into the wood, turn, and run again toward the house, all the while wh..."

That's one of my favorites! I was laughing out loud reading that one :-D

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin | 9 comments Amy b quoted this under the Ghost of Jamie thread, and I about fell out of my seat when I read it. When I read it back to my husband, his response was a blank stare. LOL!

"I will find you," he whispered in my ear. "I promise. If I must endure two hundred years of purgatory, two hundred years without you---then that is my punishment, which I have earned for my crimes. For I have lied, and killed, and stolen; betrayed and broken trust. But there is one thing that shall lie in the balance. When I shall stand before God, I shall have one thing to say, to weigh against the rest."
His voice dropped, nearly to a whisper, and his arms tightened around me.
"Lord, ye gave me a rare woman, and God! I loved her well."

Dragonfly in Amber Chapter 46: Timor Mortis Conturbat Me - Page 889

Oh My! I think I need to go reread Dragonfly in Amber....again!

Also, I LOVE the quote about motherhood. Being a mom of 4, I can truly appreciate it!

message 8: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 235 comments Erin wrote: "Amy b quoted this under the Ghost of Jamie thread, and I about fell out of my seat when I read it. When I read it back to my husband, his response was a blank stare. LOL!

"I will find you," h..."

That quote always leads me back to Jamie looking up at her window.

message 9: by EvaS (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 345 comments Erin wrote: "Amy b quoted this under the Ghost of Jamie thread, and I about fell out of my seat when I read it. When I read it back to my husband, his response was a blank stare. LOL!

"I will find you," h..."

Oh, yes.. LOVE that one!

message 10: by Allison (new)

Allison | 25 comments Erin wrote: "Amy b quoted this under the Ghost of Jamie thread, and I about fell out of my seat when I read it. When I read it back to my husband, his response was a blank stare. LOL!

"I will find you," h..."

Eva wrote: "Erin wrote: "Amy b quoted this under the Ghost of Jamie thread, and I about fell out of my seat when I read it. When I read it back to my husband, his response was a blank stare. LOL!

"I will..."

I love that quote. So beautiful.

Peggyzbooksnmusic One of my favorite quotes is from the Prologue of ABOSAA:

Time is a lot of the things people say that God is. There's the always preexisting, and having no end. There's the notion of being all powerful--because nothing can stand against time, can it? Not mountains, not armies.
And time is, of course, all-healing. Give anything enough time, and everything is taken care of: all pain encompassed, all hardship erased, all loss subsumed.
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Remember, man, that thou art dust; and unto dust thou shalt return.
And if Time is anything akin to God, I suppose that Memory must be the Devil.

message 12: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 397 comments Peggy wrote: "One of my favorite quotes is from the Prologue of ABOSAA:

Time is a lot of the things people say that God is. There's the always preexisting, and having no end. There's the notion of being all..."

Just got Shivers.....

Fantastic quote Peggy. And Im so excited that another person loves ABOSAA as much as I do... I agree. My order of fave's are
Outlander (duh)
Voyager
ABOSAA
Drums of Autumn

Haven't read Echo yet either, I'm holding out a bit.

You mentioned on one of your other posts this is 'one' of your fave series. I'd be curious to know what the others are.

message 13: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 259 comments "Catholics don't believe in divorce. We do believe in murder. There's always Confession, after all.
--Brianna Fraser to Roger MacKenzie (Echo in the Bone)"

message 14: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 397 comments Wendy wrote: ""Catholics don't believe in divorce. We do believe in murder. There's always Confession, after all.
--Brianna Fraser to Roger MacKenzie (Echo in the Bone)""

lol.... Love it.

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin (mnmover) | 68 comments Wendy wrote: ""Catholics don't believe in divorce. We do believe in murder. There's always Confession, after all.
But Robin Writes:
"I may not be Catholic and that means I've never been to confession, but I can say Thank GOD for divorce or I'D be guilty of murder!!" LOL OHH that made my day!

message 16: by AJ (new)

AJ | 19 comments One of my favourite lines is from early on in the series. In Outlander, when Jamie and Claire are newly married and she is being attacked by Black Jack Randall in the prison. She sees a movement at the window.

'I'll thank ye,' said a cool, level voice, 'to take your hands off my wife.'
... Jamie was crouched in the window frame, a large, brass-handled pistol braced across one forearm.

Brilliant! I can just picture it. Jamie the protector. Love it, love him, love everything!

message 17: by AJ (new)

AJ | 19 comments Oohh just kept reading that chapter, and came across another one..

"I would have killed a dozen men to get to you Claire,' His voice cracked.
'And when ye screamed, I went to ye, armed wi' nothing but an empty gun and my two hands.'

*sigh*

message 18: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 235 comments Aj wrote: "Oohh just kept reading that chapter, and came across another one..

"I would have killed a dozen men to get to you Claire,' His voice cracked.
'And when ye screamed, I went to ye, armed wi' noth..."

When Jamie and Claire are fighting and he says

"You're tearin my guts, out Claire."

and then claire thinks to her self how something very similar was happening to her as well.

message 19: by Erin (new)

Erin | 9 comments Wendy wrote: ""Catholics don't believe in divorce. We do believe in murder. There's always Confession, after all.

That is so funny! Thanks for the chuckle...it just made my day.

Peggyzbooksnmusic Shell wrote: "Peggy wrote: "One of my favorite quotes is from the Prologue of ABOSAA:

Time is a lot of the things people say that God is. There's the always preexisting, and having no end. There's the notio..."

Hi Shell
Thanks for the comment!
I have many favorite authors. I've read all of the books in the Richard Sharpe series (I think there are about 20 now!) by Bernard Cornwell. They are historical fiction set in the early 1800's when England was at war with France. Not a lot of romance, but very easy reads and I have to admit to ending up with a crush on the lead character of Richard Sharpe.
Read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy with our 2 sons when they were younger and enjoyed them much more then I thought I would.
As a child my favorite books were The Little House in the Big Woods series by Laura Ingalls Wilder.
I also like some of R. F. Delderfield's books (Diana, & To Serve Them All My Days), Homer Hickam (The October Sky trilogy...it was originally published under the title of Rocket Boys) and have read and enjoyed a few of Jane Austin's books. Would take to long to list any more lol!

What are some of your favorite authors and books?
Take care
Peggy Z

message 21: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 397 comments Robin wrote: "Wendy wrote: ""Catholics don't believe in divorce. We do believe in murder. There's always Confession, after all.
But Robin Writes:
"I ..."

LMAO... Tears streaming down my face, laugh out loud funny. Thx for that.

message 22: by Robin (new)

Robin (mnmover) | 68 comments I'm wondering if those of you who are younger got the quote Claire says about Rollo?

The dog would run a few steps toward the house, circle once or twice as though unable to decide what to do next, then run back into the wood, turn, and run again toward the house, all the while whining with agitation, tail low and wavering.
"Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ," I said. "Bloody Timmy's in the well!"
— Diana Gabaldon (A Breath of Snow and Ashes)

It's not to often you hear about Lassie. Lassie started on CBS in 1954 & ended in like 72 or something. I LOVE how just by Lassie's barking they knew where Timmy was & what trouble he was in!! HAHA A good ole memory. But a lot of those who are reading it couldn't have gotten the full funny of it, do you think???? OHHH OHH I'm feelin old.....LOL I'm only 45 not too bad but by back is giving out & gave out!LOL Nothing a motor scooter or maybe Harley scooter wouldn't fix! LMAO

message 23: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments Robin wrote: "I'm wondering if those of you who are younger got the quote Claire says about Rollo?

The dog would run a few steps toward the house, circle once or twice as though unable to decide what to do n..."

That's one of my favorite quotes too! I was laughing so hard when I read that :-D I'm not old enough to have seen Lassie during it's initial run (I'm 28), but I saw old reruns of it when I was younger.

Peggyzbooksnmusic Robin wrote: "I'm wondering if those of you who are younger got the quote Claire says about Rollo?

The dog would run a few steps toward the house, circle once or twice as though unable to decide what to do n..."

lol! Being 60, I got the quote referring to Lassie immediately and had quite a chuckle! :)

message 25: by Ellen W-S (new)

Ellen W-S | 50 comments Robin wrote: "I'm wondering if those of you who are younger got the quote Claire says about Rollo?

Oh yeah, I am 44 and Lassie was big on tv. I definitely chuckled too on that one. Good ol wholesome tv, like the Waltons and Little House on the Prairie....I digress,...Is it possible that this quote was in Drums of Autumn because I haven't finished Fiery Cross yet and Rollo was in DOA

Peggyzbooksnmusic Ews wrote: "Robin wrote: "I'm wondering if those of you who are younger got the quote Claire says about Rollo?

The dog would run a few steps toward the house, circle once or twice as though unable to decide ..."

The quote is from ABOSAA,#^. I just started re-reading it for the 2nd time, in anticipation of finally reading #7!, and it's on page 16 of my hardback copy :)

message 27: by Ellen W-S (new)

Ellen W-S | 50 comments Peggy wrote: "Ews wrote: "Robin wrote: "I'm wondering if those of you who are younger got the quote Claire says about Rollo?

The dog would run a few steps toward the house, circle once or twice as though una..."

Wow, wondered if i read this quote in one of these forums...if feel like i remember having read it....ok, sooooo Rollo is back (with Ian?) by ABOSAA....good to know, thanks Peggy and Robin!

message 28: by EvaS (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 345 comments Having just finished the FC, I had to add what Jamie says to Claire at the end of the book when they are discussing the coming war ...

"When the day shall come, that we do part" he said softly and turned to look at me, "if my last words are not 'I love you' - ye'll ken it was because I didna have time".

message 29: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments Eva wrote: "Having just finished the FC, I had to add what Jamie says to Claire at the end of the book when they are discussing the coming war ...

"When the day shall come, that we do part" he said softly a..."

That is my absolute favorite quote out of all the books!! I got teary-eyed when I read it.

message 30: by EvaS (new)

EvaS (evikes) | 345 comments No wonder we are all in love with Jamie.... it is such a simple but beautiful statement. How does Diana do that???!!! The woman is a genious.

message 31: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 397 comments Eva wrote: "No wonder we are all in love with Jamie.... it is such a simple but beautiful statement. How does Diana do that???!!! The woman is a genious."

I know, I love Jamie and Claire's dialogue. Nothing compares to it. I miss them...:(, and am envious to all of you experiencing them for the first time. Wanting to wipe my memory.. and start again. lol

message 32: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments I'm with Shell--I'm jealous of all those reading the books for the first time. If only I could time-travel to before I read them... ;D

message 33: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Vaile (jessnic) | 33 comments Wendy wrote: ""The dog would run a few steps toward the house, circle once or twice as though unable to decide what to do next, then run back into the wood, turn, and run again toward the house, all the while wh..."

I laughed so hard at that!

message 34: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 259 comments I loved the funny ,laughable parts to the series. Claire's Sarcastic wit was really funny to me.

message 35: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 397 comments Wendy wrote: "I loved the funny ,laughable parts to the series. Claire's Sarcastic wit was really funny to me."

Agree, I think that is probably one of the reasons why, (after the whole being in love with the ficticious god of course) the majority of woman can relate to her, her spunk is admirable.

message 36: by Angela (new)

Angela | 18 comments Kimberly wrote: "I'm with Shell--I'm jealous of all those reading the books for the first time. If only I could time-travel to before I read them... ;D"

What an enticing idea! Never thought of that. If only it were possible...... :(

message 37: by Angela (new)

Angela | 18 comments I don't remember which book this was in, but it was when Jamie, Claire and Young Ian were together somewhere and Ian asked where "home" was to Jamie, and Jamie cited Claire's previous quote that was something like, "Home is where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in", and then said Claire must be his "home" because she keeps taking him in. Thought that was memorable and touching :)

message 38: by Molly (new)

Molly | 9 comments I can't find it right now, but somewhere in Voyager Jamie tells Claire that he thought he'd never laugh in a woman's bed again. Makes my so sad for their long separation, and so happy at where they are.

message 39: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 235 comments Molly wrote: "I can't find it right now, but somewhere in Voyager Jamie tells Claire that he thought he'd never laugh in a woman's bed again. Makes my so sad for their long separation, and so happy at where the..."

Oh I remember that!! He says something like To have you here and hold you Claire I never thought I would laugh and be happy with a woman's arms again. I LOVE that! I'll have to grab my book later and get the quote.

message 40: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Message 37: Just having finished "Voyager" for the xxx-time, Angela, your quote is in there, chapter 32 - The prodigal's return, page 486 (about in the middle). But Claire, i.e. DG, is quoting herself! See chapter 37 - What's in a name?, page 555, near the bottom. Jamie remembers what Claire has told Ian before, and Claire answers it being a quotation by a poet called Frost.

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) | 169 comments Oh, there are so so many. I'm going to bombard you with my favorites. LOL!

"I prayed all the way up that hill yesterday, he said softly. Not for you to stay; I didna think that would be right. I prayed I'd be strong enough to send ye away. He shook his head, still gazing up the hill, a faraway look in his eyes.
I said 'Lord, if I've never had courage in my life before, let me have it now. Let me be brave enough not to fall on my knees and beg her to stay.' He pulled his eyes away from the cottage and smiled briefly at me.
Hardest thing I ever did, Sassenach."

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) | 169 comments "D'ye think I don't know?" he asked softly. "It's me that has the easy part now. For if ye feel for me as I do for you-then I'm asking you to tear out your heart and live without it."

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) | 169 comments "Blood of my Blood," he whispered, "and bone of my bone. You carry me within ye, Claire, and ye canna leave me now, no matter what happens, You are mine, always, if ye will it or no, if ye want me or nay. Mine, and I wilna let ye go."

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) | 169 comments "Oh, aye, Sassenach. I am your master . . . and you're mine. Seems I canna possess your soul without losing my own."

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) | 169 comments "I had one last try.
"Does it bother you that I'm not a virgin?"
He hesitated a moment before answering. "Well, no," he said slowly, "so long as it doesna bother you that I am."
He grinned at my drop-jawed expression, and backed toward the door. "Reckon one of us should know what they're doing," he said.
The door closed softly behind him; clearly the courtship was over. "

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide (metalgirl80) | 169 comments "And I mean to hear ye groan like that again. And to moan and sob, even though you dinna wish to, for ye canna help it. I mean to make you sigh as though your heart would break, and scream with the wanting, and at last to cry out in my arms, and I shall know that I've served ye well."

Okay, I'll stop for now. But there are so many more good ones!

message 47: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Jessa wrote: ...but there are so many more good ones..

... and so many heart-wrenching ones. Just for a change, I'd add 2 that made me smile: Colum to Dougal: I've heard it often enough that a man's brain stops workin' when his cock's standin'.... If the brothers MacKenzie have but one cock and one brain between the two of them, then I'm glad of my half of the bargain! (Outlander, chapter 24)

And the other one from FC, chapter 29: Hiram, whether from male pride or goat stubbornness - always assuming these to be different things - ...

message 48: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 110 comments One of many, many favorites would be "Claire, it was you...it was always you...."

message 49: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 110 comments Jessa wrote: ""Blood of my Blood," he whispered, "and bone of my bone. You carry me within ye, Claire, and ye canna leave me now, no matter what happens, You are mine, always, if ye will it or no, if ye want me ..."

I ABSOLUTELY CHERISH THIS ONE... THANKS JESSA!

message 50: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 110 comments Molly wrote: "I can't find it right now, but somewhere in Voyager Jamie tells Claire that he thought he'd never laugh in a woman's bed again. Makes my so sad for their long separation, and so happy at where the..."

I also love that - I have read and re-read voyager - it is my favorite book and I so cherish their reunion - Jamie & Claire Forever!

« previous 1