Into the Forest discussion

Original Fairy Tales > Perrault and the Ladies

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (last edited Feb 23, 2010 07:14AM) (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1387 comments Mod
For Perrault and the French salon women writers such as Jeanne Marie Le Prince De Beaumont.

message 2: by Christine (new)

This is one of those cross post topics. There is a French film version of Bluebeard that will be released soon in the States (I presume the Europeans will get the film before the U.S., if they haven't already).

message 3: by Jeanna (new)

Jeanna | 18 comments There's this Perrault story called "Diamonds and Toads" that I always thought was strange and quite frankly kind of dubious (the prince's motivation in marrying a girl who could provide him an endless supply of riches... just didn't work for me). I recently wrote a bit of flash fiction about it--I hope that's okey dokey to mention here since I'm not trying to sell it or anything, just trying to start a discussion :) (http://calloohcallaycallay.blogspot.c...). Is anyone else familiar with this one? What do you think about the fairy tale? And what do you think it would be like to speak and have gemstones come from your mouth?

message 4: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 4279 comments Mod
I saw that movie at our Local store that rents European films. I'll probably have to wait a few weeks. My son and husband are not crazy about Fairy Tales and I already made them watch Snow white and the Huntsman recently.

Who was the author who wrote the White Cat?
I remember liking her tales a lot. I can't remember her name, but it was not one you mentioned above.

message 5: by Christine (new)

Jeanna, I liked the story.

Diamonds and toads reminds me of Rumpstilken. The marriage is one of money - spinning straw into gold. What happened when she could not longer do it?

message 6: by Jocelyn (last edited Oct 15, 2012 10:58AM) (new)

Jocelyn Koehler (jocelynkoehler) Toads and Diamonds was a fairy tale that stuck with me ever since I first read a version of it in a little golden book (The Blue Book of Fairy Tales!). In most of the versions, the prince's motivation for marrying the Diamond girl is that she is also beautiful and sweet (the money is just a bonus). But who really believes that? Love of money is a pretty big deal, even in fantasy.

Jeanna, I also wrote a retelling/continuation on this tale, so I'm excited to read yours. Mine isn't free, so I won't link to it. But it is a post-"ever after" story that tries to tell what happens to the two women who can't talk without either diamonds or toads falling from their mouths. The short version: its problematic.

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Kollef | 2 comments I always felt bad for both of the girls in that story. I figure, it's got to be painful if gem stones are constantly falling out of your mouth. Do the diamonds degrade her teeth? Are her lips constantly getting cut up? At least the toads and bugs are slimy, and don't have any sharp edges.

message 8: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
There was a version that pointed that out in My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me: Forty New Fairy Tales. (At least, I think that was the right book, it's possible that was Angela Carter...)

In addition to the diamonds and pearls, some variants also have roses that fall out. Thorny roses, presumably.

In the story, it was painful and uncomfortable enough that she eventually stopped talking altogether.

message 9: by Jeanna (new)

Jeanna | 18 comments Jocelyn wrote: "Toads and Diamonds was a fairy tale that stuck with me ever since I first read a version of it in a little golden book (The Blue Book of Fairy Tales!). In most of the versions, the prince's motivat..."

Yeah, I've never really bought the prince's motivation, I guess. Especially when, in the version I grew up with, he rides up on his horse, speaks to her once, and decides she's the girl for him.

I'll have to look up your story too!

message 10: by Jeanna (new)

Jeanna | 18 comments Hannah and Chris: I agree. There are all sorts of problems. What if it stops? Does it hurt? (Or does it at least taste really, really nasty?) How do all those jewels on the market affect inflation?

This is something I love about fairy tales. There's so much weirdness to choose from when you want to look at a story closer, retell it, analyze it, etc.

message 11: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 4279 comments Mod
Madame D'Aulnoy is the author of The White Cat I was asking about. When we read the The Blue Fairy Book I mentioned that I liked her tales the best.
Was she part of this group?

message 12: by Christine (new)

Yes, she was.

message 13: by Candace (new)

Candace Pettit | 28 comments Toads and Diamonds is a GREAT version of the Toads and Diamonds story in an Indian setting, where speaking snakes isn't necessarily a punishment. It's definitely a unique take on the story.

message 14: by Jeanna (new)

Jeanna | 18 comments Candace: Thanks for mentioning this one. I'm intrigued. Hooray for my "to read" shelves! (If only they weren't already hideously long.)

message 15: by Lucille (new)

Lucille (fireolna) | 4 comments There is a French retold of Diamonds and Toads, called "Les contes de la rue de Broca". In it, the mean girl, seeing how beautifull and powerfull is the fairy, agrees to help her (looking for a reward). But then, her parents exploits her, making her talk all the time without rest to gather treasures. And when she finally manage to escape, a man captures her and does the same. The second daughter, who's kind, refuses to help the fairy because she don't want to be "cursed" like her sister, the fairy curse her with snakes, but she marries a doctor who's doing experiences on snake and they live happily ever after. In the end the Fairy takes back the curses and both girl can finally live normaly ^^

message 16: by Lucille (new)

Lucille (fireolna) | 4 comments Here is a pdf version for those who can read French ^^

http://latin.hautetfort.com/media/01/...

message 17: by Jeanna (new)

Jeanna | 18 comments Lucille wrote: "There is a French retold of Diamonds and Toads, called "Les contes de la rue de Broca"...."

Sounds interesting! Will have to try to use some of that rusty French to look at it.

message 18: by Lucille (new)

Lucille (fireolna) | 4 comments Ask me if you need any help to understand it =D