Into the Forest discussion

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1388 comments Mod
For the Norse

message 2: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments Has anyone else read the series by Harry Harrison that begins with The Hammer and the Cross? Great alternative history trilogy that incorporates the Norse Gods/mythology.

message 3: by Hazel (last edited Mar 21, 2010 09:22AM) (new)

Hazel | 71 comments I loved the Norse myths as a child. Used to know all the gods by name, and named one of our houseplants Balder the Beautiful!

The Hammer and the Cross sounds like fun.

message 4: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments I just finished Troll Bridge: A Rock 'n' Roll Fairy Tale which includes elements of "The Twelve Dancing Princesses" and "The Billy Goats Gruff" in it. Cute story, although the rock-n-roll songs seems a bit un-rock-n-rollie to me. Takes place in Minnesota, where I was born and grew up. Liked that. I gave it a "3" out of "5" but really it was a 2.5 for me.

message 5: by Enjee (new)

Enjee There is a new series out by Kevin Hearne that uses many mythology characters. The books are a fun read. The third book uses Norse mythology heavily.
Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne Hexed (Iron Druid Chronicles, #2) by Kevin Hearne Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles, #3) by Kevin Hearne

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Poul Anderson's War of the Godsand The Broken Sword. My personal preference was Gene Wolfe's Wizard Knight duology which begins with The Knight.

message 7: by Cat (new)

Cat (dodger_thirteen) | 34 comments Norse Code is actually a very fascinating book. If you read and love Neil Gaiman, you're likely to enjoy this one. Speaking of that, American Gods by the one and only Neil Gaiman has some Norse mythology in it, and by some, I mean a lot. One of the main characters is Wednesday, an avatar of Odin.

message 8: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle I love the D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths.It has beautiful artwork and the myths are fantastic and easy to read and understand.The ending is a bit annoying,though.

message 9: by Krista (new)

Krista Holle | 7 comments The Lure of Shapinsay is now available on B&N. It takes place on the tiny Orcaidian island of Shapinsay (Norse/Celtic influences). The legends of the selkies are new to many people. Take a peek and learn something new.The Lure of Shapinsay The Lure of Shapinsay by Krista Holle

message 10: by Michele (new)

Michele | 3 comments Gaiman has another book, for kids, that takes place in Norse mythology. I cannot sell it to my elementary school students, by I really liked it: Odd and the Frost Giants.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 4 comments Giants of the Frost is a good fiction book with Norse mythology elements.

message 12: by Gail (new)

Gail (goodreadscomgoodreadscomgail) | 2 comments I love this book. It was really good. I have no doubt that they will enjoy it.

Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Giants of the Frost is a good fiction book with Norse mythology elements."

Michele wrote: "Gaiman has another book, for kids, that takes place in Norse mythology. I cannot sell it to my elementary school students, by I really liked it: Odd and the Frost Giants."

message 13: by Jane (last edited Feb 20, 2013 09:04AM) (new)

Jane I suggest reading the Prose Edda, Story of Sigurd the Volsung (William Morris translation, which is poetry in skaldic form) and Saga of the Volsungs. Then you're going back to the primary source material.The Prose Edda
The Story of Sigurd the Volsung
The Saga of the Volsungs

message 14: by Serena (new)

Serena | 19 comments Mustn't forget The Poetic Edda either.

The Sea of Trolls looks promising and so too does Loki's Wolves