SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I just found this today, and i think it is a very interesting hobby!

Basically "Geocaching is a worldwide game of hiding and seeking treasure. A geocacher can place a geocache in the world, pinpoint its location using GPS technology and then share the geocache’s existence and location online. Anyone with a GPS unit can then try to locate the geocache."

This seems like sooo much fun!
I see there are almost 4000 Geocaches in SA :)

This seems perfect for people who like hiking, hide and seek, or just plain something fun to do :)

Is anyone here already a Geocatcher?

Here is the website:
http://www.geocaching.com/faq/default...

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Wow, that's such a cool hobby!

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracymm) | 43 comments Yup yup. Got into geocaching end oflast year. It's huge!
You'll be surprised at how many caches you've passed by.
We live out in the Platteland, so our caches are few, but we've even hidden our own.

If you have a smart phone with built in gps, you don't need to buy a handheld gps just to see if you might like it. We do all our caching with phones :)

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith What 'treasures' do you find? When you find a cache do you normally take what's there and replace it with something else, or is it normally something you can use or look at there and then put back?

message 5: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Well as far as I have it its normally a Tupperware container, with a log book in it. You sign your name, and then you can take a "trinket" (it could be anything, like a marble) and then put one back for the next person.

message 6: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracymm) | 43 comments The swag is usually kids toys, happy meal stuff and cheaper. Ideally replace whatever you took with something of equal value. I have a stash of cars from the crazy store for the caches.
But some are too small for anything than a small log roll; you have to take your own pen - they are etter to find though.
There are also puzzle caches where you have to follow clues to work out the coordinates.

Travel bugs are another fun aspect:an item gets registered with a tracking number and travels between caches. YOu log that you found it and where next you placed it so the original owner can see it's adventure across the globe! Sometimes these's a race to see which one gets to a specific location first etc.
I can go on and on, lol.

message 7: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Sounds like so much fun!