Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Etcetera > one for the money casting?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments saw this on janet evanovich's facebook page this morning :

Q: Is it true that Katherine Heigl will portray Stephanie on the big screen in One For the Money? How much of a say did Janet have?

A: Yes, Katherine Heigl is now the actress attached to the One For the Money movie project. Prior to Heigl it was Reese Witherspoon, and before her it was Jennifer Lopez. Janet sold the rights to One For the Money in 1993, before the book was even on the shelves. We're very excited about the movie possibly going into production after all these years. Like most authors who have had a novel bought to be made into a movie, Janet has no say, or influence, when it comes to casting or the script.

message 2: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) I like Katherine Heigl as an actress, she is great at comedy, I think she can do the part, but doesn't really look Italain. Glad it isn't Reese, that just doesnt fit at all.

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments Teresa in Ohio wrote: "I like Katherine Heigl as an actress, she is great at comedy, I think she can do the part, but doesn't really look Italain. Glad it isn't Reese, that just doesnt fit at all."

i was thinking she just doesn't look like a "jersey" girl..lol

message 4: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments I like her as an actress but as Stephanie not too sure about that. But I wasn't crazy about the other actresses when I heard about them long ago. With always enjoying this series because I live in NJ I don't know what I'll think when the movie comes out. I always visualize a certain person looking a certain way when I read a book and really it's always hard for me to decide on a actress or actor to be someone when they cast a movie. I get Janet's newsletters in the mail, I'm on her facebook and I used to do her website. Her daughter Alex used to come on one of the first AOL boards I was on alot.
After all I'm the one who is always looking for Marino and Ranger on the beach at the shore. LOL.

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments I had read this on another board a week or so ago. Really got to my ICK factor! I just don't like Katherine Heigl at all, and she is definitely NOT Stephanie Plum! Jennifer Lopez was a better choice than her.

message 6: by Maria (new)

Maria | 30 comments Oh, no. I think this role is miscast. If they were looking at these "types" maybe they just don't get this character at all. Then again, they are going for a certain age audience. Ick. I might just stick with the books and keep my own image of Stephanie Plum.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments I'm with you, DonnaJo!!!

Donnajo wrote: "After all I'm the one who is always looking for *Morreli and Ranger on the beach at the shore. LOL. "

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments YUCKO...she is so NOT Jersey.

Donna in Southern Maryland (cedarville922) | 120 comments Katherine Heigl doesn't do a thing for me. I guess having a book made into a movie is a double edged sword. On one hand, you're glad they're making a movie. On the other hand, generally the writers have no say in the casting, or the script.

I guess those of us who read these books will just keep reading and casting them in own heads!

Donna in Southern Maryland

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Donna:
Yes, I think we we will continue to "cast" the characters in our heads for this series and any book as we read. In my case, the image of a face is often fuzzy, but the impression of the person is very clear - their stance, the way they move, their strength of character and the way they react, especially in difficult in situations, probably an impression of general hair color, general height, etc. I "know" the voices of several favorite book characters due to listening to so many audio books. I finally started Undone today and can hear Sara Linton's voice in my head!

Donna in Southern Maryland wrote: "...I guess those of us who read these books will just keep reading and casting them in own heads!"

message 11: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments And my sister told me she read Issie isn't coming back to Grey's. She doesn't like her storyline and had a fight or something. So she's not coming back to finish up her storyline or anything.

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments I agree, Ann. I am currently listening to the next in the Three Pines series and I do have general images of the characters, especially the recurring ones, in my head. I wonder how much that is a function of the writer's skills of description versus the reader's need to come up with a picture to carry with them as they read.

Ann wrote: "In my case, the image of a face is often fuzzy, but the impression of the person is very clear - their stance, the way they move, their strength of character and the way they react, especially in difficult in situations, probably an impression of general hair color, general height, etc. I "know" the voices of several favorite book characters due to listening to so many audio books...."

message 13: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Dale | 135 comments I can't really see Katherine Hiegel in this part either, but you never know how it might work out. I always thought Nia Vardalos (from My Big Fat Greek Wedding) would have been perfect for the part, even though she's not Italian.

message 14: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments Joyce wrote: "I can't really see Katherine Hiegel in this part either, but you never know how it might work out. I always thought Nia Vardalos (from My Big Fat Greek Wedding) would have been perfect for the par..."

i keep seeing sandra bullock or marisa tomei (think my cousin vinny..lol). .. definitely NOT katharine heigl.

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Carol:
A little of both I imagine... I like when an author allows you as the reader to build up a profile of a character. It can be an introduction, or subtle clues over time, sometimes just enough to tantalize...

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I agree, Ann. I am currently listening to the next in the Three Pines series and I do have general images of the characters, especially the recurring ones, in my head. I wonder how much that is a function of the writer's skills of description versus the reader's need to come up with a picture to carry with them as they read...."

message 16: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 180 comments Sherry wrote: "saw this on janet evanovich's facebook page this morning :

Q: Is it true that Katherine Heigl will portray Stephanie on the big screen in One For the Money? How much of a say did Janet have?

..."

I am not a Stephanie Plum book fan but I might actually like the movies much better. I can see Katherine Hiegl in the role, for sure. She strikes me as a potential goofball...

message 17: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 180 comments Sherry wrote: "i keep seeing sandra bullock or marisa tomei (think my cousin vinny..lol). .. definitely NOT katharine heigl.
..."

wouldn't Sandra Bullock be too old for that part?

message 18: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments Cathy (Catsluvbooks) wrote: "Sherry wrote: "i keep seeing sandra bullock or marisa tomei (think my cousin vinny..lol). .. definitely NOT katharine heigl.
..."

wouldn't Sandra Bullock be too old for that part?"

Evanovich has always said that she envisioned Sandra Bullock as Stephanie. But, of course, that's the problem...she's too old for the character now.