Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Kiss of Midnight - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments This thread is for the discussion of Kiss of Midnight by Lara Adrian Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #1) by Lara Adrian to begin in March.

**Please be aware**
This thread WILL contain spoilers. If you would like to make a comment or ask a question without reading spoilers you can visit the March BOM Roll Call Thread and post there instead.

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) | 106 comments This book so far reminds me alot of BDB, but that's fine. I love BDB. I really enjoy Lucan and Gabrielle

message 3: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments What I like about this book and series in general is the abilities the women have and where the birthmark is placed. It is funny how some are out in the open and others are hidden away.

message 4: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Angela wrote: "This book so far reminds me alot of BDB, but that's fine. I love BDB. I really enjoy Lucan and Gabrielle"

They are similar. But as BDB continues it becomes more UF and this series continues as a PNR series.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments I just finished listening to this one....it was pretty good and it did remind me a bit of BDB

I have the next two books in the series so will give them a try next.

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan I just finished this book and really enjoyed it. It read a lot like the BDB series, but I like that series also so for me it was a good read. Looking forward to reading the next in the series.

I got a late start reading this book this month because I did something really stupid! lol. I was around 70 pages into the book and realized I was reading Shades of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #7) by Lara Adrian instead of Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #1) by Lara Adrian , lol. I seem to have confused book 1 with book 7. I hate to read books out of order but I also hate stopping once I've already started. It was a very long day! lol

message 7: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Oh wow that stinks! I hate when I read books out of order!!

message 8: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Some questions to think about for those that are finishing up, or have already finished this book:

Name your favorite thing overall about the book. Your least favorite?

Which series do you like better, this or BDB (Black Dagger Brotherhood)? Are they really that similar, or are there differences between the two?

Do you think it was wrong that Lucan pretended to be a police officer at the beginning of the book?

If you discovered you were a breedmate, what would your ability be?

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 253 comments The book was ok for me. I felt like it had a lot lacking... I'm going to read the next book in the series to see if it might be due to the fact that it's the first book.

The whole alien culture idea of vampires was interesting, but I felt like too much information was being forced into the story. Plus, we didn't get a whole lot of information regarding the tattoos either.

message 10: by Sarah (last edited Mar 09, 2010 06:29PM) (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments It's been so long since I read this one that I can't remember precise plot details, so I'll comment on the BDB/Midnight Breed connection.

I've seen the comparison in lots of different groups, and mostly to the negative. Yes, there are similarities in the stories. I don't think it ever bothered me, though, because I've read lots of stories that have this plot element--group of warrior men, bonds of brotherhood, special powers, fighting bad guys, finding his soul mate, etc. I think it's easier if you just take a series on its own merits and try not to compare it to others. It may just be harder with these two since they both feature vampire warriors. Midnight Breeds feels a little more SF to me than BDB, though. BDB is more of a fine line between UF/PNR.

That said, I think I do like the BDB series better. Not sure why, but I feel more vested in those characters. I think the stakes are higher in the BDB world, with Lessers trying to destroy everything. In Midnight Breeds, it's more like roving bands of baddies. More episodic.

message 11: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments That's interesting that you said this series is more SF. I always thought of it on the more romantic side of PNR. I feel like each book is really centered on the couple that is the hero and heroine.

I thought that as the BDB books have continued on it has become more UF. The world outside of the two main characters is becoming almost like another predominant character. The lessers are pretty important people in the later books, in the beginning they were just sort of there to cause some chaos between the couples.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I think at this point I sort of take the romance portion in stride--I know there's going to be a couple finding HEA--and I start looking for the angle that makes the story unique. In Midnight Breeds, that angle is that the vampires are an alien race, which is why I get the SF angle. And I do like that each book focuses on only one couple at a time.

I like the Alexis Morgan Paladins series for the same reason. Each couple gets their romantic HEA, but there are two alien races struggling in the background. It's a branch of romance I don't see too often.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments I'm a much bigger fan of BDB than the Midnight Breeds, but I think this is a strong series in its own right. I think the similarities to BDB were stronger early on before the series found its own voice and started to really develop its own mythology and mystery. It's a series that I think has really improved as its gone on and is very enjoyable. It's not as dark and layered as BDB, which is why it doesn't rank as high for me (Oz's description of it as BDB-Lite has always been fitting to me). Entertaining reads though and the only reason I maintain my Doubleday account (I own the series in book club hardback and want to keep a matching set). =0

message 14: by Kenna (last edited Mar 12, 2010 06:50PM) (new)

Kenna (kennas) I read this book around august of 09 so please forgive me if Im a little off of my remembery of things.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Name your favorite thing overall about the book. Your least favorite?

Least favorite thing was the major jump from her life into theirs. It was like stepping from the past into the future with the gadgets and the lair and what not.The flow after the injury/death was terrible and seemed just a bit forced to me.

Favorite was when she put Lucian in is place for lying. Im not sure that it was THAT big of a deal all things considered but...I would have been angry at first and just a little miffed after that.

*Which series do you like better, this or BDB (Black Dagger Brotherhood)? Are they really that similar, or are there differences between the two?

Havent read yet.

*Do you think it was wrong that Lucan pretended to be a police officer at the beginning of the book?

Not as much as most would be. Id be more angry at the fact that he molested me in my sleep like a pervert.

*If you discovered you were a breedmate, what would your ability be?

I dont remember what the abilities in the books are or were...but if I met a genie, Id wish for the ability to read, write and speak in every language and every dialect in the world.

message 15: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (funlovinlady) | 113 comments I like this book. But I didn't love it. I wasn't sucked into the series, like so many others I have read.

message 16: by Kelley Anne (last edited Mar 18, 2010 03:01PM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments So, it's been quite a long time since I had read this book. I read it, and the rest of the series, before I ever started BDB. So, I didn't know the similarites or differences until later. I think that they are both great series, but this series is a little bit lighter than BDB, not quite as much darkness, more focused on the romance, etc.

I got the audio for Kiss of Midnight a few weeks ago, so figured that'd be the perfect way for me to re-read it! I really remembered how much I enjoyed this book, and the rest of the series. I might just have to do a few more re-reads.

The funny thing is that I did a reread of both this book and the first BDB, both in the last week. And there were more similarites than I had remembered before. Including the personalities of both Lucan and Wrath. Also, both of them let the women at one point believe that they were cops. That made me laugh! Neither of them seems to care for humans really at all, at least not until they meet their mate. and of course other things. But it was just a really odd experience reading them both at the same time.

message 17: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I enjoy this series, I have read the first two so far. One of my big problems wiht the series is that it doesn't explain the history enough of the breed. I would love to hear more details about why they were crashing/fleeing, more details about the tatoos, more details the rising up and killing of the original race, and there needs to be a better history/explanation of why the breedmates exist in the first place. It obviously can't be evolution, since the breedmates have only boys/men with the breeds. This is a HUGE gap in the story. I feel like the story is a vehicle for the romance and the focus is romance HEA. As said above by someone, BDB is becoming more UF, which I tend to prefer. But I don't like Ward's style of writing too much.

Okay, the questions:

Name your favorite thing overall about the book. Your least favorite?

I like the author's writing style. I like the deveopment of the relationship between the main characters of the book. My least favorite things are above. Also, after reading the 2nd book, it is kinda formulaic, no surprises -- the tension, the reluctance, the fact that the breedmate is an orphan/loner. I wish there was more of an interaction between the brothers -- kind of like in BDB.

Which series do you like better, this or BDB (Black Dagger Brotherhood)? Are they really that similar, or are there differences between the two?

I like Adrian's writing better. I like the relationship between the couple better in the breed series. I like the er..... sex better in the BDB books. And I like the relationship between the brothers in the BDB books. I hate the lessor parts and I prefer the issue of the Rogues. However, I think BDB has created a more believable world, we see it more and understand it. I wish Adrian would give us those details. If she did, I would prefer the Breed series.

Do you think it was wrong that Lucan pretended to be a police officer at the beginning of the book?

No. He was going to take care of the problem. Not much else he could have said.

No idea!!

message 18: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments Name your favorite thing overall about the book. Your least favorite?

It is hard for me to remember but I loved this story. I think my biggest pet peeve was Gabrielle's job as a photographer who never took pictures of people, just creepy places. I mean couldn't she have been something better lol?? I think one of the things I like the most is Gabrielle's consideration of leaving her old lifestyle for a possible lifestyle with Lucan and for her it totally seems worth the trade.

I prefer this series to BDB. Two reasons the first is in the BDBD a some point you lost the focus of the brotherhood and their comradery where they would die for each other, and I think by the fourth book it seemed like the romance was becoming less and less, to me it seemed more like a subplot. I think the breeds does a better job of keeping the romance first and everything else second. Also maybe it is me but sometimes the women in BDB just disappear, at least in this series they return with their special gifts and continue in the fight. Then again I think I quit that series Lover Enshrined so perhaps I am totally wrong.

No, it seemed realistic.

Some kind of cool healer, where I could shoot lasers out of my eyes LOL, actually I have no idea.

message 19: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4452 comments Finally getting around to reading (due to other challenges) Kiss of Midnight, after finally getting it from the Library. I'm on page 121 and so far it is pretty good.

I agree with Jess, that BDB is darker; you need to concentrate more while reading BDB.

message 20: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4452 comments I finished Kiss of Midnight on 28/3/10 and really enjoyed it. I gave it 4*, and will be reading Kiss of Crimson in April for another challenge, looking forward to what happens next.