Beyond Reality discussion

SERIES—List & Discussions > Miles Vorkosigan--MEMORY - finished reading *spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Here's a topic for people who finished reading the novel and want to discuss it in detail, including spoilers.

(If someone would like to post some other topics for discussion, please do so! I have to take a break from participating in the series re-read because of other commitments, so I won't be able to post book-specific questions for a while.)

message 2: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 2990 comments Mod
I was up till 1:30 AM this morning, finishing this book. This may be my favorite book so far, once I got into it. I had a hard time getting into this book, partly because my life was interfering and partly because I couldn't believe Miles Vorkosigan was "letting" Admiral Naismith be so stupid!

After I got about a third into the book, I read the rest in almost one sitting. Miles may be short, but he really had to stretch in this book. He has grown and matured in every book in the series so far, but this book really took us inside Miles as he discovered how to find his balance, his true and integrated self.

Memory was a very satisfying book in so many ways. We not only witness the ongoing development of Miles, but we get to see Gregor in love and Illyan without ImpSec.

While I have enjoyed the Admiral Naismith adventures, I have always found Vorkosigan to be a more interesting character, and this book really focused on the Barrayar side of Miles.

On a 10 point scale, I gave Memory a 9. But Goodreads has a 5 point scale and the depth of this book moves me to give it a 5.

message 3: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 2990 comments Mod
One more comment about Illyan after his memory chip was removed... I enjoyed seeing him develop as a fallible, normal person. I especially liked it, near the end, when he was given a map cube ( like a GPS, I suppose) and a personal recorder (I picture a PDA or iPod Touch kind of thing). Those are the things "normal" people use to help expand their memories.

The title... obviously related to the mystery revolving around Illyan's memory chip, but I also thought it related to Miles "remembering" who he really was, a Barrayaran Vor lord and citizen, and making peace with that.

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1347 comments I totally agree with you here Kathi.

This was a book of endings and beginnings. We said goodbye to Naismith, the Dendarii, Illyan and Imp Sec and hello to Barrayar. I noticed the last couple of books had Miles questioning his identity. Here Miles finally accepts who he is. I liked that.
Interesting to see how Komarr fares.