Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Hooray hooray le CSA

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments It must be almost spring! I just signed up for a CSA share, and I'm now eagerly anticipating the start of the season.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 22, 2010 01:16PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ooh! Thanks for the reminder. Must look into this. Sally had me all jealous last year.

We used to be able to order week by week at work. I miss that.

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17319 comments Mod
Sweeter and I signed up just last weekend. We're getting veggies and fruit this year. I had to hold myself back from the organic egg share, but we might cave and add it later.
Bad news is we might be moving to Denver, leaving 3 or 4 months of veggies to my momma to eat alone. AaSAAAA!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Moving, Sally? Why?

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

Well, for one I've lived most of my life in this town and I'm completely ready for a change.
For two, CSU floods the job market every year with fresh graduating classes of teachers in the local school district, and the competition for jobs, especially high school English teachers, is fierce. Wicked fierce. And I don't want/need that stress when it comes time to start working, I want to be somewhere where I can count on a position.
For three, we just want to move to Denver, be in a (somewhat) city and all that that entails. But I will be farther from my mom, which makes me sad. Closer to Sweeter's mom, which makes her (and him) happy.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments RA - here's a partial list of Wisconsin CSAs. I don't know if it covers your area.

Sally, that sounds like a potentially good move! And not so far, and still near family. And look at all the nice Denver CSAs: http://www.ecovian.com/s/denver/csa-f...

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

The good news is that right after posting this I went and checked and our CSA - Grant Family Farms has pickups all over the place in Denver South Denver and Parker!

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Oh, that's awesome. One less thing to worry about!

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

Things are weridly falling into place for this move. It might be meant to be. Just like how things worked out for me to go back to school and get my teaching assistant position. I love it when this happens.

message 10: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Yay! Sally! I love it when that happens too!

I signed up for my CSA today too! I also signed up for home eggs and milk delivery but they haven't started yet. Maybe next month.

message 11: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments OOOO! I'm glad to see Wisconsin CSAs! That's where I'm moving to in a few months! Fond du Lac. I hear there are beef-a-lo over there. Roaming around. CSA beef-a-lo.

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I spent a summer in Fond du Lac once. Nice little town.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Sarah, I don't see the link, but thanks!

cries inside

Zen, why are you moving to FDL?

Sometimes I think Larry's spent at least a summer everywhere in the midwest.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to Wisconsin Zen. You won't be too far from RA. A bit farther from me.

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Hmmmmm ... what's the name of the restaurant on the east side of Lake Winnebago? It was very popular/crowded as the sun set over the lake.

message 16: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments RA, a job in Fond du Lac! Yay!

Thanks Jim! We'll actually be closer to Greenbush/Glenbeulah.

Larry, I don't know but I think everyone who goes there needs to hit a fish fry on Fridays.

message 17: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Fish fry Fridays. Yup.

I found FDL people to be quite friendly.

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments We're right in the middle of the lent Fish Fry Friday thing. Huge deal around here, no doubt. People take their fish fries seriously. Don't even think about changing the type of fish or fries or whatever. They'll go bonkers.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I prefer sweet potato fries to fish fries. They go better with ketchup.

message 20: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I agree with you, Sarah, but if you were to ask for sweet potato fries at a Wisconsin fish fry, I'm afraid they'd...hell, I don't imagine what they'd do, but they sure as hell wouldn't have sweet potato fries:)

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'm just goofing around, anyhow. I suppose fish fries and fish sticks are pretty much the same thing.

message 22: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm sorry, Sarah, now I want to see you try it. Schedule a Friday off and buy a plane ticket:)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I love sweet potato fries! There's a place here, Quality Burrito, that serves them with a slightly sweet chipotle sauce that's fantastic.

message 24: by Sally, la reina (new)

I, for one, am not a fan of sweet potato fries. I think they're too chewy. I like the way regular potatoes kind of dissolve in your mouth.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "I'm sorry, Sarah, now I want to see you try it. Schedule a Friday off and buy a plane ticket:)"

That's a long way to go to punk some poor Lions Club members or whatever I'm supposed to be doing.

message 26: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, whatever, we can meet at Charm City Cakes and try to peek in the window...

message 27: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sweet potato fries are scrumptious if done right. The Mattress Factory in Omaha does the best I've had.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Ok, whatever, we can meet at Charm City Cakes and try to peek in the window..."

Good luck. That place is a fortress.

And Larry, why do you eat at a mattress factory?

message 29: by Sally, la reina (new)

That's kind of what I thought. Sounds like something only Nebraskians would do.

message 30: by Zen (last edited Feb 23, 2010 05:31PM) (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "And Larry, why do you eat at a mattress factory?"

My consort, reading over my shoulder, suggested that Larry has made a "Fry-dian slip".....

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Aha.

Well, that makes more sense, but I kind of like the visual of a bunch of people dining on mattresses (which was a fad at one point in NYC) while eating other mattresses.
"I'll have a slice of the posturepedic."
"Oh, that's too rich for me..."

message 33: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) People tend to fall asleep waiting for their food.

message 34: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I'm now getting my milk delivered! It's so great!! I have a milk man!

message 35: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Does it come in glass bottles? That sounds cool.

message 36: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Yes, it comes in glass bottles! The cows are on a small local farm.

message 37: by Sally, la reina (new)

That is so cool, Gretchen. I wish we drank enough milk to do that. I'd totally sign up. Do you also get things like eggs and butter from them? Can you ask for a pint of buttermilk or whipping cream if you want?

message 38: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Sally, you will in a year when your kid starts drinking cow's milk!

I get eggs from them too. They have butter but I haven't tried it yet. You can get buttermilk in a quart size and heavy cream in a pint size. Their truck has cow spots. I ♥ them!!

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Is it South Mountain Creamery, Gretchen? I get my milk & butter & yogurt from them, but they don't deliver in my area so I have to go to the farmer's market.

message 40: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Yes, it is. They are the only one around, to my knowledge. They didn't deliver to me either until last week! I'm so happy.

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I love their plain yogurt SOOOO much. And their milk.

message 42: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Except I forgot to put my cooler out last night so I missed my delivery! Devastated!

message 43: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Doh!

message 44: by Sally, la reina (new)

So, I signed up for eggs from my CSA this year and holey schmokes are they delicious! They're brown and speckled and all different sizes and the yolks are deep orange and all full of flavor. I'll never go back now, I tell you. NEVER!

Plus now I'm wondering how factory chickens make their eggs so uniformly sized?

message 45: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I get my eggs delivered and I'm on the fence. I love the way they taste. I love that I get a dozen eggs of varying colors, shapes, and sizes. However, I don't love that they sometimes have a bit of chicken shit or feathers stuck to them. I don't love that they recycle the egg containers and those are sometimes dirty or have tears or cracks in them. Since they are using mostly the lame styrofoam containers, I'd think they could clean them before packing them up. I'm sure I'm over-reacting because if I were getting my eggs from my own chickens in the back yard I'd have to clean shit off of them first. But that's sort of why I don't have chickens in my back yard.

message 46: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments (that and zoning laws.)

message 47: by Sally, la reina (new)

There would be a lot more chicken shit in your world too, more than just the occasional dab on an egg...

message 48: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments right. fuck that. Chicken shit is disgusting.

message 49: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments hahaha! I'm funny. I just saw my last post out of context and it made me giggle.

Ok, anyway, I love my CSA and all. And it's so true that you find out what vegetables really taste like when you get them right from the farm. I've found out I like a lot of things I thought I didn't like because of my CSA. On the flip side: I got some celery last week and I was pretty darn excited about it. The stalks were really thin and I thought surely they'd be delicious. NO! Awful!! They were so bitter. ICK. I couldn't even eat them. I usually only use the inner white stalks of celery when I get it from the store. These were all really green. Maybe that was the problem.

Also, the garlic I got was way too strong to use raw in anything. Or I guess maybe I should have just tried using a tiny bit. It's ok if I use it in cooked things. But when I tried using it for salad dressing and salsa it ruined it. Actually inedible. I've never ever found something inedible because of too much garlic before now. I LOVE GARLIC.

What's going on here?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Gretchen, I've read that apples today are much bigger and blander than the apples of 5 years ago.

It's because the fertilizer commercial farms use is sort of like plant junk food - they grow big plants, yes, but not very nutritious, or tasty, ones.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.