dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Craig (new)

Craig Dressler (craigdressler) | 42 comments 1) Stephen Lawhead
2) Karen Hancock
3) L. B. Graham
4) George Bryan Polivka
5) Sharon Hinck

message 2: by Jesus (new)

Jesus Villalobos (jetski) | 9 comments Don't go in for fantasy too much. I prefer the real thing.

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill Tillman (silvertill) | 6 comments 1) Stephen Lawhead
2) Doneta Paul
3) C.S. Lewis
4) Wayne Thomas Batson
5) J.R.R. Tolkien

message 4: by Jonathan (last edited Mar 03, 2010 10:42PM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez C.S. Lewis and J.R.R Tolkien are in a class by themselves.

New ones I like include Andrew Peterson, Stephen R. Lawhead, and Jeffrey Overstreet.

Back to an oldie: although it's not exactly fantasy, per se, Graham Greene's "The Power and the Glory" remains a moving and thought-provoking book. The setting, post-revolutionary Mexico where Christianity has been completely outlawed, seems as strange and apocalyptic as anything you'll find in the most fantastical of science fiction, even though it is historically true. I re-read it often. Greene's best work IMHO.

message 5: by Ally (new)

Ally 1) Bryan Davis
2) Karen Hancock
3) Donita K. Paul
4) John White
5) Wayne Thomas Batson

I'm a big fan of fantasy (Especially High Fantasy), and I love it even more when it's Christian.

message 6: by Janine (new)

Janine (jldub) | 6 comments Any recommendations for good Christian fantasy?

message 7: by Bill (new)

Bill Tillman (silvertill) | 6 comments Try Wayne Thomas Batson or Donita K. Paul for com temporary writers great books to begin with.

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda B (brknhrt) | 3 comments Fantasy is not a genre I normally read, but did I enjoyed Angel Fall by Coleman Luck.
My blog review is here if you would like to check it out.
http://bookvisions.blogspot.com/2009/...

message 9: by Dibily Do (new)

Dibily Do | 1 comments I don't know if you call this fantasy but I kind of do. Aurthur Frank Peretti

message 10: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote: "I don't know if you call this fantasy but I kind of do. Aurthur Frank Peretti"

I think Peretti's "This Present Darkness" definitely qualifies as a fantasy thriller. And it's a really good book--although, thinking about it now, I realize that I read it about 20 years ago. Ouch! Time really flies...

message 11: by Janine (new)

Janine (jldub) | 6 comments Jonathan wrote: "N.S.A (Search for the truth) wrote: "I don't know if you call this fantasy but I kind of do. Aurthur Frank Peretti"

I think Peretti's "This Present Darkness" definitely qualifies as a fantasy thri..."

I absolutely LOVED This Present Darkness!!!

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grace (LisaGraceBooks) | 21 comments My favorite next to Peretti, Tolkein, and C. S. Lewis is mine!lol Angel in the Shadows Book One by Lisa Grace
It takes place in the present day and since I know the supernatural world in my fiction exists, I'm not sure if it should be classified as fantasy. B & N is stocking it in the Sci-Fi section. Any thoughts? Oh, I'm giving away two copies on goodreads this month contest ends April 15th.

message 13: by Ginny (new)

Ginny | 1 comments Some of Ted Dekker books could sort of be considered fantasy; definitely thrillers. He wrote some books with Frank Peretti. I like both of them, as well as Tolkien and Lewis.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Yokum | 1 comments Bryan Davis

message 15: by Светлана (new)

Светлана | 10 comments Andrew Peterson, C S Lewis and Tolkien were all influenced by George MacDonald. I just finished one of his fantasies and it was something else.

message 16: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonrhoover) | 2 comments Great recommendations... and several new authors to explore. :-) I would add Jill Williamson. Her series "By Darkness Hid" is excellent.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

This isn't my forté, yet, I'd like to share that I originally was insouciant about C.S. Lewis, yet amazingly, his recent anniversary opened my eyes (and spirit) to the metaphors and analogies hidden in this once atheist. Specifically, The Screwtape Letters. I'm sick of books being opted into movies ( The lion, Witch, Wardrobe) and admit I have yet the time and desire to understand and wrap my mind around the hidden treasures left by this great writer. ( Mere Christainity) is awesome and a great starting point for beginners of christiainity. Sticking with christian fantasy, I personally love Frank Peretti's dual "Darkness"series. My father pontificated the first book of Jenkins/LaHaye's "Left Behind" series. I personally am not into Revelation, but I'm sure his words and preference is waiting for my path into christian literature.

message 18: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sophiedawson) | 7 comments A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers. I love how Marcus goes in search of Hadassah's Christian God because he's so angry that He let her die and becomes a believer.

message 19: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 12 comments Hero, Second Class is a good Christian fantasy, a rare comic one.

Never To Live is too.

Worlds Unseen and anything by Rachel Starr Thomson qualifies.

Old school stuff would be The Tower of Geburah and Guardians of the Singreale.

message 20: by Carey (new)

Carey Green (careygreen) | 1 comments If anyone would like to give my new Christian fantasy novel a try, I'm willing to send you a free Kindle (MOBI) copy via email. You can find out more about the book at www.DragonSlayerBook.com - and email me at carey(at)dragonslayerbook(dot)com if you would like to receive a copy of the novel. Thanks!

message 21: by Amber (new)

Amber Gabriel | 1 comments Fantasy is one of my favorite genres to read, but the idea of Christian fantasy is somewhat of an oxymoron. Unless it is allegory, like Narnia, or involves the spiritual realm, like This Present Darkness, the question of how to fit God into the picture is a difficult one. Some authors create their own Christian-like religion, but there are numerous theological issues with this. Because it is difficult for a Christian to find fantasy books to read that are not dark, explicit, or preachy, I started writing my own series, The Edge of the Sword. My world view comes through in the choices my characters make and their consequences without being overtly religious. The first in the series is The Warrior Prince of Berush. There is medieval swordfighting violence, but no explicit sex or language. I would love to recieve feedback if anyone reads it!