Into the Forest discussion

General > Favorite fairy tales/legends and why?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1367 comments Mod
So what is your favorite story?

One of my favorites is "The Tinderbox".

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita (elphie) | 12 comments "The Princess and the Goblin’’ and it's sequel " The Princess and Curdie" by George MacDonald. First published 1872 in England.

It was read to me as a small child by my older brother when I was sick with scarlet fever. It was a strange story, maybe made even stranger because I was so sick. :) Anyway ... I loved it and the beautiful illustrations that came with the book.

message 3: by Hazel (new)

Hazel | 71 comments Brief summaries please.

message 4: by Christine (new)

"The Tinderbox" is by Andersen. Its about a solider who gets a magic tinderbox (a box to light a fire). The book controls three magic dogs. He becomes rich, fars in love with a princess, whose family doesn't want her to marry. Solider is imprisoned, saved by his dogs and gets the girl.

message 5: by Hazel (new)

Hazel | 71 comments That sounds vaguely familiar, Chris. I think the dogs made an impression on me.

message 6: by Christine (new)

The huge eyes. Yes, the dogs are why I liked it so much.

message 7: by Hazel (new)

Hazel | 71 comments I think Beauty and the Beast was one of my favourites. As a child I had/read a beautifully illustrated Perrault. It was rather dark and eerie, and it scared me a little bit. There was a sense of real danger from the beast.

message 8: by Mawgojzeta (last edited Mar 02, 2010 02:34PM) (new)

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments One of my favorite tales is "The Little Match Girl" - Hans Christian Andersen. I know, I know, not the typical favorite fairy tale. But it affected me.

message 9: by Hazel (new)

Hazel | 71 comments At times Anderson made me shiver.

message 10: by Christine (new)

Hazel wrote: "At times Anderson made me shiver."

Andersen seemed to believe in a cult of suffering. Look at how many of his characters suffer.

message 11: by Mawgojzeta (last edited Mar 03, 2010 07:12AM) (new)

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments Andersen's stories were originally made for adults, not children. I am not sure how, over time, they came to be accepted as children's stories.

Edit: I just looked up his biography and I was wrong; some stories where specifically written for children.

message 12: by Christine (last edited Mar 03, 2010 08:46AM) (new)

Though he did write adult fairy tales as well, like "The Shadow".

message 13: by Whitaker (new)

Whitaker (lechatquilit) Um, does Mary Poppins count here? I loved her as a child. So much so I just bought a hard-back collection of the series, and have been re-reading them with pleasure.

message 14: by Hazel (new)

Hazel | 71 comments Now Mary Poppins was really sinister!

message 15: by Christine (new)

Whitaker wrote: "Um, does Mary Poppins count here? I loved her as a child. So much so I just bought a hard-back collection of the series, and have been re-reading them with pleasure."

I think she would count. Travers loved fairy tales.

message 16: by Whitaker (new)

Whitaker (lechatquilit) Hazel wrote: "Now Mary Poppins was really sinister!"

Hee hee. There was that slightly mysterious aspect to her wasn't there. Just the slightest whiff of dangerous never captured by the saccharine fluff that was the Disney film.

message 17: by Anita (new)

Anita (elphie) | 12 comments For those of you on Facebook, you might want to check out page: FAIRY TALE
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?i...

The illustrations are amazing.

Anita

message 18: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments Anita: Those are beautiful illustrations.

message 19: by Elley (new)

Elley Murray (elleyotter) My favorite is Tattercoats (or Princess Furball, or variations thereof). About a princess whose mother dies, and when her father is pressured to remarry he says that the only one as beautiful as his dead Queen is his daughter (ick!). She knows that's sick, so she resists by insisting he do all these impossible tasks, like making her a dresses made of moonlight, starlight, and sunlight that will fit inside a nutshell, and a coat made from animal fur of every animal in the land, etc. etc. Then she runs away with her nuts full o' stuff and wearing her big ol' fur coat, is found by a Prince, and ends up working in his kitchen. Later there are three balls, she goes in her magic dresses, and bada-bing, bada-boom, she's a Princess again. WOO!

message 20: by Christine (new)

Elley, have you read Deerskin?

message 21: by Elley (new)

Elley Murray (elleyotter) Chris - YES. I loved Deerskin!